PDA

View Full Version : Not enough space??

Ivan
10-21-2004, 06:31 PM
I just got my new VT4 upgrade and I am trying to install the DVEs from Content Disk 1. I am trying to install to my D:DVE directory and I am getting the message that there is not enough space. I have 34 gigs available on D: Any chance the installer is not actually looking at the D: drive? If so any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ivan

Paul Lara
10-21-2004, 07:20 PM
I believe the installer is looking at the C: drive, as that is the only one to positively exist in every Windows box.

I'm not sure at what point you change the path in the install, but it's there.

Ivan
10-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Paul,

I did change the path to D:DVE and that is what shows on the install so it appears to take. The problem is that I still get an error message saying theere is not enough space. There is 34 gigs available on the D drive. What else is it looking at and where else would the content go when the path is set to D:DVEs?

Thanks,

Ivan

Ivan
10-21-2004, 09:00 PM
With 34 gigs available I am unable to get any of the Content to install unless I deselect all but the 0000 - 3000 NTSC DVEs.

Additionally the installer is telling me that "0.00 MB of space is required on the D drive 34978.83 MB of space available on the D drive" This message does not change no matter what I select or deselect.

Ivan

mgrusin
10-21-2004, 10:45 PM
Sounds like a minor installer bug. :(

Can you install the DVEs to C:, move them over to D: yourself, and make the path change in Preferences?

Sometimes you gotta let the software blindly barge ahead, and patch things up later. :rolleyes:

-MG.

wvp
10-22-2004, 07:01 AM
. . .Sometimes you gotta let the software blindly barge ahead, and patch things up later. :rolleyes:

-MG.
Or you gotta yell LOUD that it should be fixed! I have VT[4] comming as well and I too have my DVEs on a seperate drive.
I do not want to be forced to install some 16GB to the C drive because the install routine on my expensive program can't see I want to install to a different drive. Nor do I want to then have to copy the 16GB to another drive.

Paul, hopefully this is an isolated problem. It should be real easy for NT to verify that the install routine will install to a different drive. If it does not, then a fix is in order.

Jim Capillo
10-22-2004, 08:05 AM
One thing to think about is to install the DVE's and all your project files on another drive, or at least another folder...... as new builds come out and you install them, you run the risk of having to re-install the content or losing your project files when the VT folder is removed.

The auto-config will automagically find yor DVE's no matter where you put them.

Ivan
10-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Unfortunately I cannot force it to install on the C drive as there is no room. Well technically I could install one or two DVE folders at a time and move them over but hey, is that what I really want to do for the next week?

I have tried to install on the other drives and they all come up with the same message, "0.00 MB of space is required on the (drive letter) drive (drive space)MB of space available on the (drive letter) drive"

Defenitely an installer issue and I know they will fix it. Most people that I know have the DVEs on a seperate drive.

Thanks,

Ivan

Paul Lara
10-22-2004, 08:55 AM
It should be real easy for NT to verify that the install routine will install to a different drive. If it does not, then a fix is in order.

This is being looked at now.

Ivan
10-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks Paul.

Ivan

mgrusin
10-22-2004, 11:02 AM
(deleted, just saw that Ivan doesn't have enough space on his C: drive to work around the installer bug).

-MG.

Ivan
10-22-2004, 12:27 PM
"Give me the skill to render what I can, the cunning to fake what I cannot, and the wisdom to know the difference"

VT4 - We don't have to render. :)

Talked to Paul, all will be well. They solved it and the new shipments should have the new disks.

They are so cool.

Thanks again Paul,

Ivan

Scott Bates
10-22-2004, 01:49 PM
So ........ does this mean that if we get a set of the "original" discs in the next few days that we can only install VT[3] (and/or the DVEs) on C: , or do they have a new installer available for download, or that we simply don't have to render the install?

Paul Lara
10-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Scott,
This bug appears if you have less than ~ 5GB free on your C: drive.
It seems the installer squawks if there's not enough room on C: (which is the only drive we know to exist in the computer), but at that point, won't let you modify the path. :(

We've squashed it.

Scott Bates
10-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks Paul. I've got plenty of room of C: so it therefore should let me point everything to D: which is my preference.

wvp
10-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Scott,
This bug appears if you have less than ~ 5GB free on your C: drive.
It seems the installer squawks if there's not enough room on C: (which is the only drive we know to exist in the computer), but at that point, won't let you modify the path. :(

We've squashed it.
Perhaps current disks (that have not been shipped or sold) could have a little slip of paper included to point this out - users could then get a replacement if they wanted.

Ivan
10-22-2004, 07:25 PM
From what I understand they are already burning the disks with the fix so anything that ships now would not have this issue.

I had a nice long chat with Paul today and I really appreciate the quality of service and the effort that Newtek puts into everything they do.

Ivan

DonN
10-23-2004, 09:26 AM
I don't believe you have the option yet to point the DVE's install anywhere else than the default C:. no matter how much space is free.
Even though the requester leads one to believe otherwise.
Meaning that if C: is cramped, you're hosed.
This surely will be FIXED in short order as most users will want to put DVE's on the video drive.
Don