PDA

View Full Version : How to handle huge polygon amounts?

Thomas M.
10-21-2004, 11:34 AM
I've got an object with about 210k polygons which needs to be rendered at sub-patch level 3 (Modeler sub-patch level). In Modeler it already starts to slow down with just 30k of polys in sub-patch mode. As I have to add 7 more arms to my octopus I imagine that the modeler will be almost impossible to handle. Are there any tricks or do I just have to be patient? I just wondered if it is possible to work in non-sub-patch-mode and simply alter the object file to switch on sub-patch mode. This might save a lot of time in some situations. Anyone any experiences with this topic?

Although will I be able to use bones with this model?

Cheers
Thomas

spud_q
10-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Have you tried opening the modeler options panel setting the patch divisions to zero? That might speed things up just enough to get them into layout.

Thomas M.
10-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Good point. Does hiding of object parts improve things?

spud_q
10-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Not too sure what you’re asking about improving things, but the less geometry on the screen the easier it is on your CPU and video card too display it. That goes for modeler and layout. If you a trying to work at the limit you may benefit from viewing everything in wireframe mode. That is until you run out of ram, then your done :D