PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on how to fix this!

mdoyle
10-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Hi, I wasn't sure whether to put this in fx or tips and tricks so I put it in both, so apologies if you have read it twice.

I created a logo which will be used in an animation and am looking to create a certain effect. I have attached an image on what I have done and what I would like it to look like. The one on the left is the render and the one on the right has been modified in photoshop. I would like my render to look as near to the one on right as close as possible. I have not used shaders or lighting much in lightwave as most of my stuff is UV mapped and used for real time 3D stuff so I am very inecperienced here.

As you can see I would like the white to glow which isn't the problem but getting the effect that the glass type blue surface is affected by this and will look as though it is glowing slightly from the brighter white. Ideally I am going to try and animate from one to the other, but will just have to fade it in post if I have too. I have tried using different transparency settings like from the whiskey bottle tutorials, I tried messing about with G2 but had never used it before, and to be honest I have spent almost 2 full days now trying to get it, and I just seemed to have hit a brick wall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Cheers

SplineGod
10-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Use a gradient in the luminosity channel .

mdoyle
10-22-2004, 03:26 AM
OK, will give it a go, but as I said I have never really dealt much with shaders and gradients before. I take it I would need to use the white swoosh part as a reference for the gradient? Would that also make the blue surface fade a glow over distance from the white swoosh?

I will give it a go just now and see how I get on.

Cheers

M

mdoyle
10-22-2004, 07:30 AM
What do you think?

I thik my main problem now is getting the silver to look the same. I ended up using the 3 gradients and messing about with there settings. I never realised you could do this with gradients so thanks for the advice, as I was trying to actually create the effect using transparencies, transllucies and actual light sources. Seemed as more sense in my head to do it that way, but i think I am getting there with it.

http://www.gdoyle.co.uk/images/J18Logo.jpg

SplineGod
10-22-2004, 03:14 PM
It looks great. The differences are pretty minor at this point. You may want to use some kind of reflecton map and then a gradient in the reflection channel set to incident angle. :)

Dodgy
10-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Looks like you need to use relction blurring too. It's in the environment settings of the surface panel.