PDA

View Full Version : Stargate: Work in Progress (1 lil piccy)

Brizon
04-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Oki, first post on this Forum thing, so I thought I'd make it.. yup my good old Stargate, posted it just about everywhere else, so might aswell here :D

Still WIP but its pretty close to getting finished now, then its onto the extra stuff like animating the whoosh, wormhole effects and so on. And also putting together the DHD (Dial Home Device) with luck I'll eventually have them all connected via expressions or an Lscript to make animating them accurately a good deal easier. Then I can start thinking about knocking out some pretty landscapes to put it in or something ;)

Anyways, here's the pic, hope you like it!

Stewpot
04-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Hi Chris,

Nice work, been following you on google. Loved the anims you did too.

oxyg3n
04-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Hello,

It is looking like a pretty faithful construction of the stargate. I havent watched the show in a few months but I remember the gate beiing a little darker or maybe bluer.

ANyways, I like what you have and will be waiting to see it in a landscape.

Brizon
04-07-2003, 04:46 PM
Stewpot
Cheers, so they come up ok on google then? I've been having problems posting lately, and with google not showing binary groups I've no idea if most of those ever got through *spanks his ISP*

Oxyg3n
Thats the difficult part, the coloring, in almost every shot it seems to be a different color, not easy to decide on one :), it certainly does have a slight blue tint to it though which I should be able to fix. The offworld gates are more earthy in color, so I might do a few versions depending on the location

looking forward to seeing it in a landscape myself too, got the itch after those fun fakes on the site to take some more photo's in the garden and comp it there again :)

Cheers guys! :)

DragonAngel
04-08-2003, 03:31 PM
If every shot seems to make the stargate a slightly different color its because its somewhat reflective. Not much but just enough to absorb and diffuse its environment onto itself. I think the true material will reveal itself when you have shot that is more dark and the stargate is in shadows. Also watch for that artificial key light they use in studios.

I do remember one disimularity from the real gate. The symbols were beveled in and not out. At least the one in the movie was.

Besides that... WOW!!! Excellent work.

Brizon
04-08-2003, 04:10 PM

yeah there's a few differences between the movie version and TV show, basically the gate used in the movie wasn't really looked after, and pretty much crumbled away. At least one segment of the outer ring remained though, which was used to create the mold used for the 9 segments of the TV show version (making my job easier ;), I think the inner ring with the glyphs (symbols) was pretty much intact, which allowed them to make more use of it, using it to cast a reverse of it perhaps, hence the seperators and glyphs sticking out in the show. Though I've also heard it had something to do with looking better in the tests, something about them standing out more than they did in the film, I dunno. Film version also had a different chevron at the top (hard to see clearly unfortunately) but there is a drawing of it on the boxed set for season 3 of the series strangely enough heh. All the chevrons on the show gate light up, the movie version just lit up at the top. I might yet try a version from the film, would be kinda neat to have both kinds I guess :)

Hard to say if its reflective or not.. though you may be right as some close up shots has a marble like texture running through it, I think its only possible to see clearly on the first episode of season 6 (before they added the cast shots and plot giveaways regarding a particular character) So it could be that which is causing some kind of diffuse reflection, oh and lighting of course. Easy enough to change though, just settling on a color, gray, slightly blue or brown. As I say, may have a few versions, one pretty clean, one really mucked up

Thanks again :)

laci
12-06-2004, 07:11 AM
Hello Brizon, can I see your homepage or your stargate anims?