PDA

View Full Version : Pro Engineer to Lightwave

BaseZero
10-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Hello all,

Looking to see if anyone has any input as to what would be the best way to import/translate Pro Engineer CAD models into Lightwave for animation and rendering? I am aware of NUGRAF/POLYTRANS, but was wondering if there is a way to do it without spending more money on additional software. Also, we're running on OSX on Mac Systems and POLYTRANS is for Windows only.

I am aware that Pro Engineer will export in OBJ and DXF file formats, but the files seem to be quite large compared to similar models created natively in Lightwave.

Anyone with experience in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

noiseboy
10-21-2004, 09:30 AM
I think generally dxf files come in alot heavier than lwo files, when I've experimented with this I've taken the dxf file and used reduce polys to clean up the objects generated. Alternatively I use Ashlar-Vellum's Argon app to import dxf or whatever, and then only export out the parts I need as either dxf or stl. You should be able to get a 15 day trial of Argon. Or you could try cadsoftsolutions concept3d, similar product that will export a .fact file which LW will read natively (or did in 7.5 until conv3d.p got broken)
So in answer to your question I think you just need to persevere with the dxf (only supported up to vers12 anyway) or obj file and clean up on import (merge points, reduce polys etc split up objects etc)

Matt
10-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Eurgh! Don't use DXF whatever you do! Has to be the sloppiest format ever created!

I translate models from Solidworks to LightWave all the time, I know it's not Pro-Engineer but I imagine the export options are similar(ish).

Anyway, I've found STL to be a much more robust format. Only problems are due to poly flow / complexity as _everything_ is triangulated on export.

edit:

There is a free STL importer on www.flay.com or if you ask him very nicely Mike Wolf might throw a copy of his plugin your way (Mike's is better IMO).

ingo
10-21-2004, 11:07 AM
What kind of file/object do you get from ProE ? We got complete carparts from a manufacturer for animation, and it was highly detailed. Export with obj worked fine into ElectricImage, but the files were huge indeed.

noiseboy
10-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Eurgh! Don't use DXF whatever you do! .
I couldnt agree more I wouldn't use dxf out of choice but the export options were given as obj. and dxf I'm not sure ProE exports out to STL. I'm not sure Lightwolf ported his plugin to Mac.