PDA

View Full Version : Pro Engineer to Lightwave

BaseZero
10-21-2004, 08:50 AM
Hello all,

Looking to see if anyone has any input as to what would be the best way to import/translate Pro Engineer CAD models into Lightwave for animation and rendering? I am aware of NUGRAF/POLYTRANS, but was wondering if there is a way to do it without spending more money on additional software. Also, we're running on OSX on Mac Systems and POLYTRANS is for Windows only.

I am aware that Pro Engineer will export in OBJ and DXF file formats, but the files seem to be quite large compared to similar models created natively in Lightwave.

Anyone with experience in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

ingo
10-21-2004, 11:00 AM
What kind of file/object do you get from ProE ? We got complete carparts from a manufacturer for animation, and it was highly detailed. Export with obj worked fine into ElectricImage, but the files were huge indeed.

fabmedia
10-28-2004, 03:58 PM
I have a client who uses ProEngineer also, but I'm experiencing a crash when trying to load an OBJ file. It gets about 15% complete and then crashes.

Matt
10-29-2004, 10:53 AM
I've translated models from SolidWorks (I know it's not ProEngineer but it has similar export options) to LightWave successfully using STL format, poly flow on complex curves is messy but it works.

Importing huge models in one go can crash LightWave.

If the model is on the large side there are usually options to save assemblies out as separate files, the good thing is they keep their spatial relationships, so when you import them into Modeller they all line up correctly. That way you can import in stages and save successful imports.

There are free STL importers for LightWave on www.flay.com

fabmedia
10-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Ah ha! I managed to open the OBJ exported file from Pro/Engineer with Cinema3D and exported that file as a 3DS file and imported that into Modeler. It is heavy in polygons, like 23 MB. Is ther a way to reduce the polys in such a way that the model is functional and doesn't sporatically have polys that are not aligned?

Matt
10-29-2004, 01:09 PM
You can try using 'Reduce Polys' (carefully) to reduce the triangulation imported models have from CAD programs, but I've found that only works well with geometric shapes, curvey stuff fails miserably!

I tried qemLOSS2 but it almost always crashes my system.

Other than that it's sometimes easier to just recreate the worst parts by hand - using the imported points to create splines for patching.

Would be nice if there was a really intelligent reduce poly tool!

fabmedia
10-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Yeah it would be nice. But modeler does such a horrible job. I don't want to recreate the model because it is too time consuming. But I've asked my client to send me another set of files with only 5% of the actual data and polys. I hope that works.

dastreb
11-05-2004, 10:05 AM
We recently had a job using ProE parts. Bought Polytrans and the Granite plugin. Cost about $800, but it works well. Certainly a lot simpler than remodeling. The file sizes and geometry all look pretty good too, although the scale is way off. Depending on how much stuff you need to convert, maybe we can help you out and do the translation for you.

BaseZero
11-05-2004, 10:10 AM
We recently had a job using ProE parts. Bought Polytrans and the Granite plugin. Cost about $800, but it works well. Certainly a lot simpler than remodeling. The file sizes and geometry all look pretty good too, although the scale is way off. Depending on how much stuff you need to convert, maybe we can help you out and do the translation for you.
I'll keep that in mind if the projects get the greenlight…

Why don't you go ahead and send me some contact information in order to add you to my list of suppliers? Be sure to include some information re: our conversation here so I remember who you are.

Thanks for the offer.

[email protected]