PDA

View Full Version : Poll: bring back inspire?

dwburman
10-20-2004, 10:06 PM
I was just chatting with a friend that I sold my copy of Inspire to a while ago. He just installed it on his new PC. He's wishing Newtek would do an ugdate to the old package. He doesn't have the $$$ for a full license and since his interest is in games, he doesn't need everything in the full package of Lightwave. Something like gMax would be good for him.

For those of you who don't remember, Inspire was a stripped down version of Lightwave 5.5 (or 5.6) that was aimed at the print and multimedia development crowd. It didn't have all of the animation tools of LW and you couldn't render an animation if the frame size was larger than something like 640X480. Also, modeller had fewer layers and (annoyingly) no numeric inputs. I don't remember all of the limitations. It sold for $350 USD or so when LW went for around $2500 USD (I may have the prices wrong). Newtek only released the one version. I don't know sales figures or anything but I'm pretty sure that more than a couple of people bought it and some of them moved up to its bigger brother.

So, should Inspire be revived?

wapangy
10-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Stuff like fewer layers and such are really annoying. If they did do a cut down version, I'd recommend stuff like leaving out network rendering, possibly even hypervoxels, bones, dynamics... (some people never use some of that stuff). Or even just selling the modeler as a stand alone package.

Mylenium
10-21-2004, 12:00 AM
I don't think that anyone would want that... There are several reasons:

a) There are quite enough other affordable or even free 3D programs out there with similar feature sets. If somebody doesn't want to learn e.g. Blender, that's their preroggative, but it certainly would be an alternative.

b) LW is not modular (except for the split of the main apps) which would require extra work on a stripped down version. You cannot just leave out "modules" or plugins but have to touch the code. That takes time and effort and the LW dev team is already too small and too busy with other things. It would just hinder the development of the main app.

c) On modularity: Where do you start and where do you stop? What do you leave out, what in? Which features are more important than others? For the most part this would be travelling back in time - you had your 50000 $ PowerAnimator and needed to spend an extra 30000 omn the particle module. Ok, prices have changed but the problem remains: you can start out cheaply with the basic app, but need to invest in lots of extensions. In the long run this normally becomes an expensive trip. Take a look at Cinema 4D, and you know what I mean - a once complete package is now a set of "modules" where the main program is outdated and all the fancy suff is extra. I can assure you, buying a "module" just for decent IK or expressions ain't very sexy...

Mylenium

Silkrooster
10-21-2004, 12:09 AM
I think something like that should wait. Perhaps down the road. Maybe even using a version Lightwave as a low cost alternative once Newtek has rewritten the code. I beleive at this time Newtek should pull all their resources together and create a whopper of a program that beats all other 3D programs hands down. It would be really nice to have a program that everyone in the CG market would be drueling to get their hands on.
Silk

retinajoy
10-21-2004, 12:28 AM
I think getting a usable learning demo edition of LW8 out (on the lines of XSI experience) should rather be the priority, with good learning and training support This would get LW more into the hands of people with the full feature set.

I would bring this learning edition out after 8.x is released rather than the 8.01 version , so people will be able to try the enhanced workflow and new features in 8.x.

Maybe an Inspire 3D version could be worked on in a year or two once the LW dev team have finished the majority of rewiting the code. I still think a well thought out learning edition is the best way though.

I don't think LW modeller should be sold separately either as there are already a lot of dedicated modeller apps on the market. Newtek should just continue with what they are doing and that is working hard to make LW the best app it can be.

cresshead
10-21-2004, 05:04 AM
well here's my take on that...

i 'd prefer to see a "layout" for sale separately with loading of lwo,lws,3ds,obj,.xsi..maya objects/scenes and fbx objects/scenes this way you could get people on board that have silo, cinema, max, maya and xsi who want the ease of use and quality of the surface/rendering tools that lightwave provides..also i'd make it a bundle deal with fprime if possible when it's ready to hook into everything as this is a major production speed boost with the interactive renderer.

i'd also make it a single platform release..either mac or pc not both...this would help sepatate the app from full lightwave and give it a realistic price guide of around 300-350...i'd also drop the render nodes down to say 10 rather than 999.

basically make it similar to messiah renderer/studio but really it's layout.

this would then be on many peoples shopping lists as other people struggle with mental ray and xsi surfacing tools...and lightwave still has a good upper hand in the quality of render.

it would bring in artists from 3dsmax,maya,silo,wings3d and cinema if they had a easy trip to lightwave's renderer...the key here is the ability to load up objects and scenes from those apps and also be able to create surface seection from within layout..

there's a couple of key things that lightwave has:
hypervoxels..stunning
lighting that looks cool..
the cel shade renderer's on lightwave are production proven
many studios already use lightwave as the prefered renderer even if there studio is based around max or maya...tap into that right now..

steve g

Bytehawk
10-21-2004, 05:47 AM
imho

you're asking the wrong crowd. You'll find most LW owners here don't want the development team to divert from creating what LW8 has to be.

mattclary
10-21-2004, 05:55 AM
It's too easy to find a used copy of LightWave for ~$600 U.S.

There should be a downloadable demo, can't quite understand why Newtek can't seem to make that happen.

Now the real kicker is, the 7.x downloads actually WORK as demos, but instead of marketing this so people can get a taste for the most user-friendly 3D app on the market, they just never mention it.

Newtek, you guys act like you don't really want to put out a demo, why is that? If nothing else, advertise the fact that the 7.x downloads work this way! You're shooting yourself in the foot. :rolleyes:

Exper
10-21-2004, 07:18 AM
i 'd prefer to see a "layout" for sale separately with loading of lwo,lws,3ds,obj,.xsi..maya objects/scenes and fbx objects/scenes this way you could get people on board that have silo, cinema, max, maya and xsi who want the ease of use and quality of the surface/rendering tools that lightwave provides..also i'd make it a bundle deal with fprime if possible when it's ready to hook into everything as this is a major production speed boost with the interactive renderer.How many years we must wait for better Import/Export abilities?
I doubt we'll see something new in a short-term... it's a pity!

Newtek, you guys act like you don't really want to put out a demo, why is that? If nothing else, advertise the fact that the 7.x downloads work this way! You're shooting yourself in the foot. :rolleyes:Chuck and Proton reported that NT is working on LW8 demo... but it was long ago.

I'm more than agree... we're really tired in asking the same things week after week, month after month... now and forever!

MikeMD
10-21-2004, 08:04 AM
With XSI foundation available for $495 who would buy inspire for $350 these days?

It would have to sell for $100 at most.

Nemoid
10-21-2004, 08:44 AM
it would not be an awful idea, even if foundation costs is low, maybe a price of 100- 150$ would fit the needs of alot of people wich works in the website.

developing further inspire would not be advisable. waste of resources IMHO

simply cut down some features of let's say 7.5 or 6.0 edition and you're ready to sell. :D

the proof are that inspire had only cut out normal Lw features. a block that a friend of mine found the way to unlock in some cases. the result was if i remember well something very similar Lw 6.0 full!! :D