PDA

View Full Version : Deep Exploration

jasonwestmas
10-20-2004, 07:15 PM
For those of you wanting to get your LW scenes to the .x format, here's an option. Unfortunately it's an option that only works with windows and it costs $150. However, Deep Exploration from Right Hemisphere is much more than just a DirectX generator for Lightwave.

Check out this thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=221774&posted=1#post221774

Lamont
10-20-2004, 08:42 PM
It's cool that LWS's are text files.

Here is a free DirectX export: http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/object.htm#DirectX2

jasonwestmas
10-20-2004, 10:57 PM
If only I could get the Dstorm plug to work. So far it just crashes my LW 7.5d
I can't even read the documentation.

Lamont
10-21-2004, 08:04 AM
I don't have 7.5d installed. Where does it crash? On export?

jasonwestmas
10-21-2004, 08:33 AM
Ya, on export. I don't know, maybe I'm just adding the plugins to the wrong environment (Layout? Modeler?) I wouldn't know because I can't find any documentation on this.

Thanks

tiler
10-21-2004, 08:55 AM
another lws to .x converter priced at $9.95 i havnt tried it but i have used there collision system

http://www.nuclearglory.com/lw2dx.php

jasonwestmas
10-21-2004, 02:22 PM
The guy who wrote the nuclear glory plug for .x export admitted to me that there's a bug in it. So far it doesn't work with my 5,016 poly model. It probably works with really low simple meshes as the example works fine. There may or may not be a fix with the next version of this .x plugin.

Lamont
10-22-2004, 09:59 AM
I've used the Dstorm DIrect X plugin with 7.5c, and it was a 12,000 poly car another artist made. It came out just fine.

If you are just exporting a mesh with no animations, you can do it from Modeler.

jasonwestmas
10-22-2004, 11:24 AM
I've used the Dstorm DIrect X plugin with 7.5c, and it was a 12,000 poly car another artist made. It came out just fine.

If you are just exporting a mesh with no animations, you can do it from Modeler.

Whoops, I'm sorry. I was refering to exporting LW animations with the plugins. The weights and bone movements are all scewed up after export with NG. You're right, exporting static meshes is a piece of pie. I still needed my programming friend to help me find the solution with DE and LW. I just thought I'd share that with everyone.

Lamont
10-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Can you do a screenshot of before and after?

jasonwestmas
10-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Can you do a screenshot of before and after?

Sure, the animation frame that looks like 'The Thing' is from NG and the other frame came out a little nicer and that was done in DE. I don't know, which one you you go with? I can't decide:p

Lamont
10-22-2004, 11:03 PM
That problem looks similar to the one I used to have with UnrealED character exports. The culprit was the weightmap settings. I am sure the DeepEX one takes care of it for you. How does it look in the DX viewer?

jasonwestmas
10-23-2004, 09:36 AM
That problem looks similar to the one I used to have with UnrealED character exports. The culprit was the weightmap settings. I am sure the DeepEX one takes care of it for you. How does it look in the DX viewer?

The model looks the same in the DX mview program. In another viewer we are using, it has mipmapping and filtering capabilities. The model looks simular as well except the model is flat shaded for now and I had to use the 'fixseam' button in Zbrush 2 in order to hide the seams.

Next, I'm going to experiment with blending (Overlapping) the weight map values so I can get a more natural bend in the joints after export.

jasonwestmas
10-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Here's how this test model looks in our DirectX mipmap viewer. The filters still need some adjustments but it looks pretty good so far without a lighting condition. It looks like we have a pretty good workflow with Lightwave and Deep exploration for $150 outside of LW. So far I don't have any complaints about LW or DE. Although converting the LW animation file to .rh before converting the file to .x does take a little more time but it's a simple proceedure. Just for the record, you don't need ZBrush to fix the seams, it's just faster and looks a little better.