PDA

View Full Version : Surface name - BUG or crazy "feature" ?

Lewis
10-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Hi !

Can anyone confirm / explain this issue

1. Load any object file with alteast one surface
2. save that surface in presets by double click at surface editor (as usuall)
3. then on presets window give that surface name (with RMB surface name) and lets say it's called "test_material"
4. now go to file borwser and open Lw install directory surfaces - in my case this one - c:\LightWave8\Programs\Presets\Surface Editor\Surface Preset\WorkSpace or any other where you just saved your preset above.
5. In LW everything looks fine but inside that directory surface name is all wierd - something like "s1b4.2" or similar generic name with extension in sahpe of NUMBER ?
6. Not a big deal since you have it named in presets editor just fine, BUT if you want to copy/move surfaces and you have dozens of then how you will know which one which is ??
7. To make it more interesting I did found solution for that BUG/FEATURE but it's beyond me why is that simple and yet stupid :).
8. Solution - Just rename (in presets editor) "test_material" to "Test_material" and everything in Lw presetes directory goes fine after that. Now in file browser you will see file named "Test_material.pst" just fine.

So it looks liek our PRESETS Editor doesn't like names wihthout Capital first letter :)?

BUG ? Anyone ? NT ?

thanks

Axis3d
10-20-2004, 06:38 PM
I just tried your test and the surface name appears correctly in the preset directory. I typed it in lower cast and got a "test_material.pst" file. I am usint LW8 with the latest update on WinXP.

Lewis
10-21-2004, 05:39 AM
I just tried your test and the surface name appears correctly in the preset directory. I typed it in lower cast and got a "test_material.pst" file. I am usint LW8 with the latest update on WinXP.

Hmm i tested same thing in 7.5, 8.0 and 8.0.1 and in all it's same wierdness.

But as you said i also have some files with lower case which apear correctly in directoryes :(. Can you try it little more with few different names :)? Did you do it exactly by doubleclicking on surface editor and not by Save surface option ? Maybe it has to do something with surfaces saved outside Lws native ones (ones which come wiht Lw instalations like workspace, rock, generic..) I do have lot of custom made presets folders so maybe that's what causing issue ?

Thanks

ingo
10-21-2004, 06:51 AM
Well i have a lot of surfaces with weird names, or numbers, like you mentioned. It doesn't matter what letters i use though. I would call it a feature.

Lewis
10-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Well i have a lot of surfaces with weird names, or numbers, like you mentioned. It doesn't matter what letters i use though. I would call it a feature.

Hmm maybe it's not important for everyday work but like i said when you want to transfer surfaces to other computer it's PITA to copy files when you don't know their name :). Or if you are sending some surfaces to other person who would ditinguish them only by surface name before he use them :). Try to rename those surfaces what are showed with wierd names/extension inside of PRESETS editor and they instantly get "real" name/extension (in folder looking trough some file browser) if you name them wiht first letter capital (i didn't try with numbers at begining).

If is a feature i'd call it "how to confuse user(s)" :)

thanks

ingo
10-21-2004, 10:49 AM
I guess its from the same programmer who named the front view "back" and the back view "front". Or in the camera settings if you have a size of 500x500 pixel as 100 % and change to 200 %, it gets 1000x1000 pixel now, which is actually 400 %.

lardbros
10-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Ummm, my maths isnt my strong point, but surely thats right with the camera settings?? 500 multiplied by 2 is 1000 which is right! Coz 100% to 200% is double the value!

Am i being really blind, coz i just cant see it! :(

Skritter
10-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Ummm, my maths isnt my strong point, but surely thats right with the camera settings?? 500 multiplied by 2 is 1000 which is right! Coz 100% to 200% is double the value!

Am i being really blind, coz i just cant see it! :(

Your Blind!

This point has been dicussed here >>>
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3530

lardbros
10-22-2004, 04:21 AM
Oh yeah, wonder how i've managed to do any 3d work at all while being quite blind!!!

It's one of those things that if you didn't know about, it just wouldn't bother you.... and now i know, it really bothers me!

Lewis
10-22-2004, 03:33 PM
lardbros - I belive ingo was adressing PIXELS and not resolution so when you count pixels then It IS 4x times bigger or to say 400% :). Thing is that people usually don't count how many pixels they use - they rather count resolutution and when you look it at that way it looks like 200% but acctualy it's 400% 'coz you need to draw every pixel and not just lines :).

Math goes this way

500*500 = 250 000 pixels

1000*1000 = 1 000 000 pixels

I never had problems wiht those 200 / 400 / 800 percetages since i always understood them as lines rather than pixels so i can easy anticipate what to expect but in calculations ingo is right.

cheers