PDA

View Full Version : Finding Nemo vs Shark Tales

Paul_Boland
10-20-2004, 03:31 PM
What's your take on the latest fishy stories on the 3D scene ;). While I have not been to see Shark Tales yet, I have seen a lot of it on television. There is no doubt that graphically, it looks fantastic, but when it is compared to Pixars Finding Nemo, how does it stand?

For me, Shark Tales looks to be a complete flop! Finding Nemo gave us a true under water environment and showed us just how much fun that can be. It was realistic (with talking fish!), it was fun, it was visually stunning. And the story was great!!

Shark Tales... Ok, I'll admit that I am passing judgement without having seen the film, but I believe I have seen enough to say this... Shark Tales takes New York City and sinks it to the bottom of the sea. We no longer have a realistic oceanic environment but a fishy tale in a city landscape. It's not realistic. It is visually fun and, as with Finding Nemo, visual stunning, but city blocks, resturants... It just doesn't work for me.

Had I not seen Finding Nemo, I would probably love Shark Tales, but Pixar gave us the ocean as it is and showed just how well it can really work in a movie. Dream Works had to provide an unrealistic environment to bring their movie into being.

For me, this is a case of Dream Works taking on Pixar and losing.

What do you think?

TheDynamo
10-20-2004, 04:10 PM
I for one do not plan on seeing Shark Tales. I really don't like the character design and that will kill a whole movie for me.

-Rob

Reed
10-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Two totally different kind of movies. I've seen both and I think they're excellent films, but if I had to pick one over the other then I'd go with Nemo.

Shark Tales was very funny, more so than Nemo in my opinion, but it relied very heavily on pop culture references. A few years down the road it probably won't be as effective. I thought the animation rocked and all the characters were very cool...I'd say the only thing that bothered me about the film was Will Smith. He doesn't do a very good voice over however it was tolerable.

Finding Nemo is timeless. One of the best films I've seen.

/$.02

pvillotti
10-21-2004, 04:25 PM
DITTO Reed.

fig
10-21-2004, 04:27 PM
you're right, its not realistic. but why does it have to be? i'd love to see some cool, different looking cg films coming out personally.

chris

Fasty
10-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Stay tuned for tomorrows poll: Apples vs Oranges

:p

Nah they were both good. I thought the animation in SharkTale was better (oooh blasphemy!) but the character designs in Nemo had the edge. Who cares anyway, see them both!

Hervé
10-21-2004, 11:42 PM
naaah, Shrek was much better... I hate fish stories, I just love them in a pan... :D

lardbros
10-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Nemo is by far the best, for me anyway! Pixar's vision of the underwater world was true to life and i would assume could do things educationally for kids that Jurassic Park did. All kids love dinosaurs, and now they'll love the sea i reckon.

Shark's Tale was surprisingly much better than i thought it could be, but just not as good. It reminds me of a feature length sharky and george but more hitech and not set in "SEEEEA-CAGO". My opinion of all of pixar's films so far is that the lipsynch and characters work SOO well. Shrek is one of my fave films, but sometimes the background characters seem rushed and the lip-synch too mechanical, and in my opinion the second one was even worse in those deartments.

Anyway, got away from topic! :D Nemo is ace!!! :)