PDA

View Full Version : motion spring roblems

czesiu
10-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi E-body,

I've got an issue here and I am devastated.
I tried to anim an spring to squeez and expand it.

To do that:

1. In Modeler I put the bones inside the spring along its whole length.

2. Then in Layout I activated all bones and tried to expand and squeeze the spring using Stretch, Size and Squash tools.

3. The result was that the spring was distored and it was impossible to keep its shape while squeezing or expanding it.

Does anybody know how to get it work?

All ideas welcome, with thanks.

Cheers
czesiu :confused:

Dodgy
10-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Create a flat disc. Lathe it to make your stretched spring. Copy it, then change the offset of the lathe so the spring is coiled. Go to an empty layer and paste the stretched spring down. Use BKG to morph to make the stretched spring a morph of the coiled spring. Use this instead :)

czesiu
10-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Hi Dodgy,

It sound good, thanks for the tip, however to start with it was more logic for me to use the Bones since it gives control over the whole spring or parts of it depending on what you want t show.

I will try your method, hope I can fx it.

Cheers
czesiu :)

SplineGod
10-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Theres another way to do it without losing the volume of your spring.
Make a string of 2 pt polys down inside your spring, put them in the first layer and the spring in the 2nd layer. Parent layer 2 to layer 1 in the layer browser.

In layout add a bone to your string of 2 point polys in layer one, activate the bone and animate it. Apply softfx to your 2 point poly object and hit calculate.
Now apply metalink to your spring. It will now follow what the bone is doing and deform properly.

czesiu
10-21-2004, 02:00 AM
Hi SplineGod,

Thanks for you tip, you idea looks good. I'll see if I can fix it.

Cheers

---ZENO---
10-21-2004, 07:57 AM
Hi Czesiu,

You could also model two springs. One at normal tension, the other compressed.
Then having one of the springs as a background layer use an endomorph to morph between the two. (.Just another way bud.

Good luck

czesiu
10-21-2004, 08:00 AM
Hi ZENO,

sound simply and and effectiv I will check that one, thanks fo your tip.

Cheers

Rory_L
10-22-2004, 03:56 AM
Apply softfx to your 2 point poly object and hit calculate.
Now apply metalink to your spring. It will now follow what the bone is doing and deform properly.
Thanks Splinegod: it works a treat!

Here`s the zip with both the old scene and the Splinegod-finessed scene. I`m very happy to get that setup niggle sorted out at last!

Cheers,

R

SplineGod
10-22-2004, 05:06 AM
Glad that worked out. HERES (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/tentacles.mov) a quickie test I did using a similar idea. It turned out pretty interesting. :)

Rory_L
10-22-2004, 05:36 AM
Kimochi warui!! That`s as you say, interesting, but disturbing! :) Looks like intestinal villi!

R

---ZENO---
10-22-2004, 07:07 AM
Interesting stuff indeed!

SplineGod
10-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Its turning out that the new tools in LW8 go far beyond what I initially thought of them. :)