PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 6800 ultra

fronzel
10-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Got the card!

Really angry!

As far as I can tell, they've barley written any drivers.

Took forever to get the card. And it's incomplete. I know this thing should be faster than this. It's not! No faster in any way than the ATI card that came with the G5. In fact it's worse. There is some strange flickering happening in the schematic window when I zoom in and out.

So I went to the nvidia site to look for some other drivers ( maybe the ones that came with the card are older and need updating ) Can't find them, Unless I'm supposed to in stall the BSD Drivers. In there little list of drivers for this card on their site. It says windows windows windows linux linux bsd linux. well I guess the BSD must be the mac drivers because macs run on BSD unix. Well F that I'm not installing shi* if they can't even get the OS right.

I'm afraid that this is going to happen.

1 New drivers come out whenever tiger does.

" If Im lucky I'll only have to wait like 3 more months to use my really expensive video card " awesome!

2 Then, remember when panther blew up your graph editor. Well Tiger with it's 64 bit hoo haa is going to blow up the surface editor, lights and all the polys.

3 then well have to reinstall panther wait six months for 3 huge companies to get in sync and get every thing working like it was supposed to.

4 wheew everything works. wow I can't wait to get rid of this sloth of a machine and get the g9.

ingo
10-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Thanks for buying and testing new hardware and software for us, so we can safely buy them in a few month without that nasty mistakes. :D :D :D

Ade
10-20-2004, 07:23 PM
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/mac_6800ultra_review/index3.html

Mike at xlr8yourmac is reviewing it and asks what sort of lightwave tests he should perform, so far he has the hummer.

Matt
10-21-2004, 04:52 AM
You're lucky you have yours, I'm still waiting to receive mine after I sent the first one back due to a fault, that was over two months ago.

fronzel
10-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Ade,

wow thanks for the link that is really amazing I can't beleive the ati beats or ties the nvidia on those benchmarks.

Now I'm really :mad:

Got to find a way to get through to apple. Let them know they need to write some freaking drivers.

Anyone know how to organize a village march on apple? If alot of people complain maybe they'll listen.

Cheetah1
10-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Just got mine Tuesday after 4 month wait :eek:

Haven't used it enough to experience your problem, but check this:

http://www.barefeats.com/gef6800b.html

Also, looks like 10.3.6 has an updated driver in it:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=704

We can only hope...

Chazz
10-21-2004, 06:53 PM
You can actually get (http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2004-09-26#2926) the new 10.3.6 drivers now. I was seeing some odd artifacts in modo and someone sent the link to me. It installs new drivers for the NVIDIA cards and the ATI ones as well. Cleared everything up.

Having said that, you should be aware that the 6800 is primarily a gaming card, and that as most people will tell you, Lightwave's OpenGL performance could use a hefty boost in general.

I've been on the fence about getting a 6800 myself... kind of waiting to see how the new X800 performs.

The_Eye
10-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Un-F-ing believable! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What else? Yet another problem. F! Well thanks for the link to the driver. My card is enroute so I'll be installing soon. I've been eagerly awaiting it and now I have to read this crap. Geez.

Man, I'm waiting for the day when I can come to a forum like this and someone posts a genuine message (because there are a lot of fanboy "this is great" posts that are disingenuous) of how a new patch, driver, hardware, whatever is installed and just rocks the house with awesome performance. sigh :(

Well, hopefully that link of Chazz's will make everything all nice.

Matt - what was the fault? Maybe the fault was across the whole line and that's why the rest of us have been waiting the extra couple of months for the card.

fronzel
10-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Chazz

Thanks, for the link but those drivers are older than the ones that came with the card. At least thats what my machine said when I ran the installer.

I'm gonna wait and see if 10.3.6 fixes the card or at least speeds it up.

if not it would probably be wise to send it back, get my 5 hundred bucks back, wait six months for the problem to be solved, then buy it back for half the price.

The_Eye
10-22-2004, 09:01 AM
D a m n! I thought I was pessimistic.

Chazz
10-22-2004, 09:10 AM
fronzel,

Sadly, 10.3.6 probably won't do much to help with Ligthwave or anything. Next year, Tiger is supposed to have a new CoreGraphics component that offloads more of the OS display functions to the GPU, so possibly then you'll see a boost.

Right now, the only thing that a 6800 is really good for is playing games at higher rez than you could with any other G5 card. When Doom 3 finally comes out on the Mac, you're probably going to be the envy of all your friends. :D

Personally, if I'd bought one I'd keep it; after a year, Apple was still selling the ATI9800 upgrade for $399 until just recently, so I doubt you're going to see them dropping the price of the 6800 much.

Just out of curiosity, does the 6800 make the G5 any louder?

Ryhnio
10-23-2004, 08:57 PM
I'm sure 10.3.6 and its Open GL plugin update (due out soon) should fix your issue. I bet its one of its main reasons for updating the GL

-Ryhnio

fronzel
10-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Yeah the 6800 makes the machine a bit louder, but not too much. I Just blast the music louder.

archiea
10-27-2004, 11:48 PM
.....Having said that, you should be aware that the 6800 is primarily a gaming card, and that as most people will tell you, Lightwave's OpenGL performance could use a hefty boost in general......

Really, I thought they cleared that up when they released 6.0?.. then in 6.5, no wait was it 7, no 7.5 a.. or was it c or b? well then it had to be 8.. no wait.. 8.01? Ah, who knows already!!!

Someday I guess...

naldopr
10-28-2004, 06:48 PM
hi!!
so the nvidia ultra isn't the best vidio card for lightwave?
they don't make quadro for mac just geforce?
what is relly the diference on the geforce and quadro cards?
thanks
naldo

naldopr
10-28-2004, 06:48 PM
hi!!
so the nvidia ultra isn't the best vidio card for lightwave?
they don't make quadro for mac just geforce?
what is relly the diference on the geforce and quadro cards?
thanks
naldo :confused: