PDA

View Full Version : Simple bevel gone bad. Please help!

nikmills
04-07-2003, 12:54 PM
I was successful yesterday in making a fairly good looking smooth edge to this number. Mostly with smooth shift. Today I try again and it's always making these awful lines. I'm familiar with this and I'm trying bevel and smooth shift variations but it doesn't want to make a nice edge.
Is there some kind of formula? Such and such bevel followed by a smooth shift and another bevel? I seem to recall that from a tut once, but I can't get it here.

nikmills
04-07-2003, 01:05 PM
By the way this is what I got yesterday. The basic roundness is exactly what I want but looking closely there are weird sharp edges. That's why I went to redo it. Any trick for that proper uniform exact inset that would lead to a real smooth bevel? Thanks

toby
04-07-2003, 01:22 PM
your smoothing is out of control

you need more facets around the edges - i wish i had time to illustrate-
try one more tiny bevel using the face with "inset" only.

Basically you need more geometry at the edge or the smoothing tries to smooth ALL the way around the corner, trying to make a 90 edge look round.

eblu
04-07-2003, 01:54 PM
see this thread, it deals with some of the things you Need to learn:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2686

turning on smoothing will not magically make your bevel look nice, you must build a gentle curve out of multiple bevels, before the roudness you are trying to make will sell (visually).
and while you are doing that, you must watch out for points that cross in the acute angles of the poly that turn your face polygon into a degenerate. If this happens it is usually a good idea to weld a few points together, to create a definite corner.

nikmills
04-07-2003, 03:12 PM
I can get a rounded edge. And by adding an extra little bevel I can stop the crazy lines, but look at my picture above. I achieved, with one, smoothshift that very round kind of balloon front face. That's what I want, not a flat face on with a round edge. I did it and now every attempt leads to crazy lines again.

toby
04-07-2003, 09:26 PM
I think I understand what's going on - the ballooned look is an illusion created by the smoothing, which doesn't work everywhere, since smoothing doesn't do anything to the silhouette of the geometry.

Therefore if you want the ballooned look to work right, you're going to have to model it that way completely.

nikmills
04-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Yikes! You're right. It's dawned on me that I will have to puff up the front poly and form a nice small radius transition/curve from the sides. That will be a real challenge. Any ideas? I assume I make that one poly into a million little polys and then drag or magnet them out just so. But that's going to make for a slower render. I'll try it.

nikmills
04-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Okay. Here's how far I got. I figure this is the right way to about it. Now I want to "fill the letters with air and puff out the face that I've cleverly devided into dozens of little time consuming polys. Magnet just pulls them off like skin. Any good ways to do this nice and evenly? Really puff them up.

toby
04-08-2003, 12:45 AM
i'm no modeling expert but you might be able to smooth shift the face in little steps, getting smaller and smaller, and further out each time.

Bevel is good for that, but with letters you run into problems with points crossing each other, resulting in twisted polygons

Rory_L
04-08-2003, 01:40 AM
Spline patch it!

R

eblu
04-08-2003, 07:24 AM
nik mills
re-read my post, and pay attention to it.
unless you have a fancy plugin, this is the proper way to achieve a rounded edge.

you bevel. multiple times. but after each bevel look at the corners, and the tight areas, bc some of your points will be overlapping. weld them into one point, this makes your bevel neat and proper.

any other way and you are wasting time.
but thats just my opinion.