PDA

View Full Version : Large image map doesn't work!

juzliqan
04-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Hi,

long time since I've been to this forum - I've been busy with 2D work, and now back to 3D!

Anyway, I am trying to use a very large image to colour an object - the image is 200+MB. The trouble is, Lightwave just barfs when I try to load the image and apply it.

I can't work out what I am doing wrong (other applications can happily open the file). I have a faint memory that this has come up before and the solution was to unplug one or another plug-in, but I can't find the posts what with the new forum software.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I am using LW6.5b.

Regards,

Julian

Mylenium
04-07-2003, 12:48 PM
It is very likely LW won't have your file at all. I've seen this too often even with 2 Gigs of RAM. I always blame it on LW trying to load everything into RAM even though not necessarily needed (until render time). Also keep in mind that a file that occupies only 200 Megs on your disc it may blow up to more than 500 MB when loaded. The only solution would be to split up your image.

Mylenium

Niklas
04-07-2003, 09:37 PM
is it a 200MG .jpg file? Or in an uncompressed format?

juzliqan
04-08-2003, 03:52 AM
It's a 200MB TIF file supplied by a third party. When I try to load that, nothing happens atall - no file gets loaded, no message is generated.

I converted the image into a TGA file (500MB+!!!). When I try to load that it tries to load for a LONG time, before giving an error message.

As a JPG it's about 150MB, and trying to load this again has no effect (the Image name in the Texture editor goes to (none)).

Regards,

Julian

mfegley
04-09-2003, 12:05 PM
WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING WITH THIS IMAGE?! i only ask because i have done detailed work and even close up models with layers of image maps... and NEVER used anything that big! if you aren't getting super close or whatever, why such high res? maybe if you're in space and zooming in to my bathroom while i am showering, you could use a pic that big! i don't mean to come across as rude, but like modeling an object, think about what you need and what you'll see. also, shrink it and try those options in the texture panel like AA the image or pixel blending.

hmm... seems like over kill.. sorry

juzliqan
04-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Hey, I can see why you are asking!

I am trying to achieve a long zoom shot avoiding the need to merge different renders to achieve the same effect. I figured the easiest approach would be to use an image that would hold up to the closest zoom, for the whole zoom.

I see now that this approach has its own problems, and I probably need instead to create different versions of the image: the whole area, but at lower resolutions; and progressively smaller areas but at higher resolutions.

I was just trying to minimise the work involved...

(No offence taken...)

Julian

ingo
04-09-2003, 12:40 PM
The same thing happens here randomly. Actually i have a 9 MB tga file not loading, and when its loaded and i adjusted it fine, saved the object...the next time i open the scene file the map is gone. I first thought of some strange characters in the name (not that one in front of the monitor), but that doesn't help. The only thing helped so far converting to a different file type, like good old iff.

ChandlerL
04-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Have you tried converting the file to PNG or IFF? Lightwave seems to like them better (may be due to the much smaller size).

Even a not so compressed (gasp!) JPEG? :)

fxnut
04-10-2003, 06:11 AM
Yeah, I've had this problem myself.

Two things can fix it, using (like ChandlerL suggested) the IFF format gets around most problems. One problem with this is that some versions of Photoshop seem not to come with the IFF file handler, but I'm sure you can get from someone.

The other thing that helps occasionally (and also helps with image corruption that sometimes happens) is to try messing around with with image sizes. If you have a width or height that is an odd number, then crop or resize to an even number instead. E.g. 1055x2011 -> 1054x2010. Don't ask me why this sometimes helps, it just does! (Especially with TIFF format) You can also try resizing it to a power of 2, e.g. 256,512,1024,2048,4096, etc. as these sizes of image can be more efficient (although to be honest I don't know if Lightwave maximises the benefit from this).

I reckon that the best way though would be to use a gradient linked to camera distance to dissolve between images of different resolution and size. No need to adjust geometry for this, just tile the smaller (and more detailed) image across the whole surface, cause you won't see the tiling when the camera is zoomed right in.

Regards

Andy