PDA

View Full Version : Mac Nvidia 6800GT DDL coming in November

Ade
10-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Taken from xlr8yourmac.com

Mac Nvidia 6800GT DDL coming in November - (from a reader mail this morning)

" Have you noticed that The Apple Store is now stating that a second NVIDIA GeForce 6800 card the GT DDL (as opposed to the 6800 Ultra DDL) will be available in Nov.?
-Tim R.
(he later wrote)
under the drop down for the video card when configuring the system it states...

"Note: The NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL graphics card will be available for order in early November.
Choose from the latest graphics card options from both ATI and NVIDIA, including the new, advanced NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL with dual DVI ports. All cards include dual display support and ship with a DVI to VGA adapter. Special note on the ATI Radeon 9800 XT and NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL: the larger the size of these advanced graphics card reduces the number of available PCI or PCI-X slots from three to two on the Power Mac G5. "

The standard 6800GT (PC/reference design) only takes up a single slot but I guess they have a larger cooler in the Mac DDL model. (the 6800GT std core/memory clock is 350MHz/1GHz vs 400MHz/1.1GHz for the Ultra model. Many PC 6800GTs can be overclocked reliably to Ultra speeds, but there's no utility for that on the Mac.) I know you've heard this before but I wish the Mac Nvidia drivers had the control options and features of the PC version (including the coolbits tweak...) Earlier this year I asked Nvidia (in the Q & A with Nvidia on the Mac Nvidia 6800 Ultra DDL Graphics card) if they'd be willing to assist a (non-apple) programmer on that but the answer wasn't very promising. "Apple is our customer, so if this is something that they requested, then we would support it. "
I wonder if enough Nvidia card owners wrote Apple asking for a control panel (like ATI's displays 3D/GL overrides) if that would make a difference. (I doubt it but it can't hurt to ask...)
:D

monovich
10-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Good info. Thanks for posting.

munky
10-20-2004, 01:36 PM
HMMM..

available in November they say do they...

I seem to remember ordering a dual 2.5 G5 with a 6800 ultra and a 30 ciinema display over three months ago and guess what; I'm still waiting.
Is this new card better than the one that my mac is waiting to have stuffed in it?
will I still be waiting for a 6800 ultra as buckets of GT cards flood out the apple store.

sob **@@

I don't think I'll be holding my breath

oooh minor pique over with

regards

paul

Chazz
11-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Mine came yesterday...so they are indeed shipping!

I heard that Apple was having trouble getting a version of the 6800 Ultra running stably in the G5's, so this new board is similar to the previous board, but running 50Mhz slower.

Man, these boards are huge though!

Thomas
11-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Mine came yesterday...so they are indeed shipping!

I heard that Apple was having trouble getting a version of the 6800 Ultra running stably in the G5's, so this new board is similar to the previous board, but running 50Mhz slower.

Man, these boards are huge though!
Well, I burnt down one Ultra card this monday! All went black-screen on me and the G5 refused to even startup after that.

Sent it to a service-center, they called yesterday and said that they found the card to be very, very, dead.

Hopefully I'll have the G5 back next week with a "stable" card. Right now I'd actually settle for "a-working-card" ;)

Regards
Thomas

toma
11-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Got mine too ! (since monday)…

works great!! the 30" is wonderfull, it's not pink, it's even brighter than the 23", I can open lightwave full screen with all the panels on the 23", every thing is still smooth…

:) :) :)

toma.

munky
11-19-2004, 01:13 PM
AWWWWWWW!!!!!!

I'm still waiting for my 30" monitor but fortunatley after waiting for four months Apple agreed to split my order and I now have a shiny 2.5 G5 with a 6800 ultra and 4.5 megs of ram. Sweet.

I'm mentioning this; as a tip to ordering from apple is to split the large parts of your order as Apple really don't like to ship the same order in bits, so if one bit is delayed you get to wait for all of it until the order is complete.

regards

paul

riki
11-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Hopefully I'll have the G5 back next week with a "stable" card. Right now I'd actually settle for "a-working-card"

Why does it take them so long to replace a video card. I've only ever had bad experiences with Apple Service Support.