PDA

View Full Version : Smaller move increments in Layout

---ZENO---
10-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Hi Guys,
When I am in layout, and i want to move an object using the move tool; i find most times I cannot get my object to move in small increments, so i can get an exact location.

I find I have to thru trial and error, play with the numeric values on the x,y,z axis for a fair bit.

So the question I ask to you talented lot is, how can i get my move tool in Layout to move my object in really small increments.

P.S. Also is there a quick technique to rest an object exactly on a floor plane?

I appreciate you time and help

Cheers

meatycheesyboy
10-19-2004, 02:58 PM
The amount that an object moves is besed on the currently set grid size. Smaller grid size = smaller movements. You can change the grid size in the display options by pressing 'd'.

Matt
10-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Just to elaborate further on what meatycheesyboy said . . .

You can increase / decrease the grid size using the following hotkeys:

']' key = increase grid, which makes movement / rotation faster (harder to be more accurate) useful for zipping around large scenes (i.e. a cityscape etc.)

'[' key = decrease grid, which makes movement / rotation slower (easier to be more accurate) useful for finer movements around small scenes (i.e. interior of a room etc.)

- - -

Eki Halka wrote a plugin ('RestOn') to rest objects on the ground (similar to the Modeler command 'Rest On Ground') It's part of his 'PlugPack'.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/plugpak/

However, be aware that it centres the pivot, so if you wanted your object to sit on the ground, the script would in fact make the centre of the object inline with the ground plane.

Best way would be to use the 'Aligner' tool in Modeler using the following settings to accurately place your object on the zero of the Y axis.

---ZENO---
10-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Thank you very much guys, that is exactly what I needed. :)

Cheers