PDA

View Full Version : Film Grain/dirt/blur...?

LaughingVulcan
10-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Does anybody know of a plug-in or script that adds film graining/blur/pseudo dirt to LW rendering? I was wondering: If I could get still shots (or animation snippits) of the OS Star Trek's special effects (Space/ship)whether I could composite elements into the frames & make them blend in better? Something like what Foundation Imaging did in the Director's edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture...

The problem is that renders out of the box are so clean & sharp...

badllarma
10-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Grain can be added via CTRL F8 "Virtual Darkroom" (choose a film stock) also "Digital Confusion" and "Depth of Field Blur" and "Full Presion Blur" can be found there as well.
hope this helps........

JulianW
10-20-2004, 05:56 AM
Hi,

generally speaking you're better off not doing this sort of thing in Lightwave. Its the sort of task you'd tend to do with a post processing app.

That said yes you can do it in Lightwave, but if it were me I'd render the animation out first then apply the effect to the pre rendered animation to cut down the time it takes to tweak the settings. Simply render the animation out and then create an empty scene with the animation applied as a background.

For plugins badllarma has hit the nail on the head, give the image a subtle blur and apply Virtual Darkroom over the top (which actually means you need the Blur to come first in the list of image filters).

One word of warning though Virtual Darkroom is not the easiest plugin in the world to understand especially the advanced options.

best of luck,

JW.

AngelDream
10-20-2004, 08:11 AM
You can also use the WaveImage filter which is easier to use than the Virtual Darkroom, though not so accurate/realistic.
BTW, here's some explanation about the Virtual Darkroom filter:
Virtual Darkroom stuff (http://www.robgougher.com/default/lwvdr.html)
And the paper that gave birth to the VDR filter
A Model for Simulating the Photographic Development Process on Digital Images (http://www.jogle.com/Research/publications/sigg97.pdf)
Just make a Save as... bye

LaughingVulcan
10-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks, guys...

I'll work with it and see what I can come up with... :) :)

SplineGod
10-21-2004, 06:26 PM
check out wavefilter which also comes with LW