PDA

View Full Version : Converting dwg files to something I can use

exit6
10-19-2004, 10:54 AM
A client gave me some dwg files for a project. I know LightWave likes dxf's, and using CAD software you can save dwg's out as dxf's, but all I have is LightWave. Is there a plugin or some kind of converter out there that will convert these files?

mattclary
10-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Why not just have the customer export a DXF for you?

exit6
10-19-2004, 11:34 AM
I can try, but you know how these things go. You tell the producer you need dxf files, the producer tells his PA to get "the CAD files," the PA calls the contractor...then you get the files and they're dwg, and you say "I need DXF," and next thing you know, it's due in two days and I'm the guy who looks bad. A converter would be real handy, that way I can handle it myself.

mattclary
10-19-2004, 01:07 PM
I think there is one out there, but I've never used it. Search here and at Flay for "convert" or "converter".

bcicio
10-19-2004, 02:17 PM
I work with AutoCAD all of the time, but am pretty new to LW. Many times those 3rd party dwg to dxf conversion programs don't work very well and may not recognize all AutoCAD objects. Contact me via email and I might be able to help you out with a quick convert.

Bill C.
Massapequa Park, NY USA
[email protected] (remove the anti-spam "X")

Dodgy
10-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Go to www.opendwg.org
They have a free converter (from dwg to dxf) which is very good, all curves are loaded into LW are splines, so you can then change them to 2-point polys using any of the free curves to poly plugins out there. I use one of the spline to hair guide plugins which is really good if you don't add a root surface.

Silkrooster
10-19-2004, 10:11 PM
If you don't have the $'s for autocad, you could get a lower end cad program just to convert. Turbocad comes to mind for around -/+ $600 US. This program can load dwg and export dxf, 3ds, obj. Both IMSI and Autocad have viewers I beleive they are free, I do not know if they can export anything, but it maybe worth checking on. Turbocad can be found at http://www.imsisoft.com

exit6
10-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Just what I needed!

Hervé
10-20-2004, 01:06 AM
what solution did you finally use...? I tried downloaing a trial of turbocad without success.... :(

Silkrooster
10-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Herve,
I beleive the dwg format is on the later ver. of turbocad. I think the demo is an earlier ver of turbocad which is why it is free. I think it is ver 4. Turbocad is now on 10.2 So the demo may or may not do all the converting. It should beable to convert between 3ds and obj, but not sure, as I jumped on board with ver 8 pro. I haven't used it much as I prefer to learn Lightwave first.
Silk

Silkrooster
10-20-2004, 09:18 PM
I just checked IMSI's turbocad viewing program and it will convert between dwg, dwf, dxf, 3ds and turbocad file formats. It is $50.00
Silk

exit6
10-21-2004, 01:05 AM
I just checked IMSI's turbocad viewing program and it will convert between dwg, dwf, dxf, 3ds and turbocad file formats. It is $50.00
Do you have a link for it?

Silkrooster
10-21-2004, 01:28 AM
Sure do. clickHERE (http://www.imsisoft.com/prodinfo.asp?t=1&mcid=76)
This is Turbocad's viewing program called Turboviewer and it is $49.95. Just saved you a nickel. :p
Silk

Silkrooster
10-25-2004, 02:11 AM
I did a little test with an object I created in Turbocad. I found that 3ds imports ok into Lightwave, except everything is triangulated, which happens to be the modeling method on 3d max. However dxf would not import. But I did find that if I imported the 3ds or dxf into Bryce 5 then I could make a dxf that Lightwave would recognize. Not to mention a way of creating obj files. Go figure. :rolleyes:
Silk

Danner
10-26-2004, 12:12 AM
I've tried many ways of importing DWGs 2d blueprint data to LW and the best one I have found is to use Illustrator!

Import the DWG into illustrator, delete unwanted layers, export as an older AI format, import into LW with the AI importer, choose detail level, and set it to curves if it has curvy or round features.

Works pretty good.

Hervé
10-26-2004, 12:31 AM
and for 3D import ino LW, the best still is Polytrans.... :D

Wade
01-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Any way to get Illustrator to see those Xrefs. My client will send a CD with all the files of course this has the old paths/links for X-refs so I get a message like - Can't find T:/window.... but I know it is on the CD on D:/ ... but I can't find a way to tell Illustrator where to look.

Thanks
Wade