PDA

View Full Version : Put some 'elegance' in this model

caesar
10-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Well, its not a real problem, the mesh renders ok, but the wire are really crazy.
How can I put a hole in this surface without all this mess?

EDIT - picture caption should be POLY SubD

monovich
10-18-2004, 05:07 PM
try creating a thick disc with around 10 sides (you don't need many with sub devision). Then bevel the 10 sided face in until you get the size of your hole, then bevel again for the "inset". Then delete the 10 sided face and hit tab to turn on sub-devision. Use the knife tool and cut close to the edges of your extrusion to sculpt the roundness of your edges.

generally speaking, boolean operations aren't the best when using subdevision. I'm not sure if that's how you did yours or not. With boolean, you are pretty much at the mercy of the boolean tool, and things get messy quick.

check my pic to see if I got the general idea right for what you are talking about.

caesar
10-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Yes, i found boolean and subd need a diffrent aproach... :p
Well, thanks so much for the hint and pictures, I think the model is good now (there´s times we need a "insight" from other users to realize we´re not going anywhere)

caesar
10-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Update...wish you like it

caesar
10-25-2004, 02:25 PM
I hope I did it! Thx for the guidelines!

peteb
10-26-2004, 03:54 AM
Looking at your final image, if you odn't mind me saying it looks like you could have saved yourself a bit of time by not actually making the hole in the first place as you can't see it once the joints are on. Is it going to detach? If not then sometimes it's not worth modelling things. It is tempting to model every thing as precisley as possible but it's good to train yourself to not bother with parts you just aint going to see. Obviously ignore what I'm saying if you are going to see it at some point.

monovich
10-26-2004, 09:52 AM
model looks clean, though. Good use of polys. nice!

peteb
10-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Yeah sorry should have added that you have done a very job of the model.

caesar
10-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Thx to you, my friends! Its such a pleasure to model in LW, and share it in this forum.
Peteb, about the parts not being seen, I dont know yet :D ! It´s a character, maybe it can fall apart ...thx for the hint!