PDA

View Full Version : Edge Tracer / renderer

Exception
10-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Hi folks,

with a really important project comming up I am in dire need of a powerfull edge tracer. Lightwave's Render Edges tools have been broken for as long as I can remember and because the sharp creases doesn;t function as it should, and the lack of any adjusteablility, I am in need of something better.
I have tried the Unreal Extreme celshader, without much luck, and cannot find any others.

I use it for architecture, so it would be great if the lines could shrink with distance, and if it would be able to draw through transparent surfaces...

Any thoughts?

Exception
10-18-2004, 10:44 AM
bumpy....

anyone?

Rory_L
10-19-2004, 01:37 AM
Try using gradients?

R

Exception
10-19-2004, 04:34 AM
Gradients?
huh?
Could you explain to me how? I didnt theink there was a way gradients could be used to provide edge rendering...

lesterfoster
11-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Have you tryed Swift 3D (http://www.erain.com/products/plug-ins/) for LightWAVE yet??

Exception
11-07-2004, 06:36 PM
hm, yes i have, but that replaces the render engine and renders out to flash...
Im looking for a plugin that leaves the render output alone, except for added edges. Basically exactly that which the 'edge' options in the object panels do, except that they are broke, and i'd like something that works.

Rory_L
11-08-2004, 04:33 AM
Im looking for a plugin that leaves the render output alone, except for added edges.
I might be completely missing your point, but isn`t this something like what you`re after?

Cheers,

R

lesterfoster
11-08-2004, 05:48 AM
I hope this link helps. It look like it is about what you are looking for.http://www.celshader.com/

Hear is a nether good link from CG Talk (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=170417&page=2)

lesterfoster
11-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Lightwave's Render Edges tools have been broken for as long as I can remember and because the sharp creases doesn;t function as it should.

You are right. I looked at the thread at CG Talk (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=170417&page=2), explaining on how to do this in lightwave with out using a plug-in. And it works. Or at least on my old computer that is running lightwave 7. But as soon as I tried the same setting on my new computer running lightwave 7.5c, it no longer works. I think that the edges function in lightwave after version 7 no longer work. They are broken. And the sharp creases function is the worst part of the hole thing. I hope that NewTek fixes it soon as I need to use it or fine a plug-in that can do it right.

Perhaps the only way to do this is to do it in version 7.

Rory_L
11-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Searching the Net the other day I came across someone using an idea that`s scarily clever yet simple, if you don`t mind doubling your poly count. You copy your model and smooth scale it out a bit, then flip all the polys. Now all you have to do is darken this copy`s textures/surfaces down to the prefered edge colour and you`re done. With the original model`s polys in the way of the new flipped poly shell, all that you can see of the new one are the edges! this even looks right in Modeler`s view window!

Thanks go to Jean-Philippe Savariault for this technique. A link:-

www.puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/character_rigging/

Cheers,

R

Celshader
03-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Hi folks,

with a really important project comming up I am in dire need of a powerfull edge tracer. Lightwave's Render Edges tools have been broken for as long as I can remember and because the sharp creases doesn;t function as it should, and the lack of any adjusteablility, I am in need of something better.
I have tried the Unreal Extreme celshader, without much luck, and cannot find any others.

I use it for architecture, so it would be great if the lines could shrink with distance, and if it would be able to draw through transparent surfaces...

Any thoughts?

I just posted the following information on another forum. This information must be known:

LightWave's Edges have been wonderful for as long as I can remember, and Sharp Creases have always functioned as they should.

I realize that this information comes too late at this point, but I still want it to go on record.

Sharp Creases are adjustable.

Sharp Creases will mark any "unsmoothed" edges on a surface. If the surface does not have "Smoothing" checked, then all edges are "unsmoothed" and will be marked with Sharp Creases.

If the surface has "Smoothing" checked, then only the edges that appear "unsmooth" in OpenGL will be marked as Sharp Creases. Increase the Smoothing Angle of the surface to lower the amount of Sharp Creases; lower the Smoothing Angle of the surface to raise the amount of Sharp Creases.

Also, the LightWave[8] manual has faulty documentation regarding Silhouette Edges, Unshared Edges, Sharp Creases, Surface Borders and Other Edges. Without this information, you will not be able to use LightWave Edges.

I have better technical docs for the five types of Edges here:
http://www.celshader.com/gallery/kara/about4.htm

wacom
03-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Is there any reason you couldn't use Swift 3D for just the lines and then comp it out on top of the render?

Unreal renders really fast- couldn't you just render at 2X the resolution and comp it back on your image? I render out at 2X to compensate for the poor AA.