PDA

View Full Version : Modeller crashing in Textured wireframe view

lardbros
10-17-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm having major problems with an object file crashing in lightwave at my uni computers. Its lightwave 8, and whenever i load the model it crashes... i've tracked the problem down to being the textured wireframe view that does it, coz when it's off it doesn't do it. Turn it back and and rotate the view a bit, INSTANT crash!

Wondering if this is a known problem/bug, and why it actually does it. Luckily i can turn the viewport settings off before loading the model, and that the model file doesn't store the viewport settings.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated!
:D

BeeVee
10-18-2004, 01:58 AM
What sort of computer? PC or Mac? What sort of graphics card? Are the drivers the latest revision? You need to give us more to go on! :)

B

lardbros
10-18-2004, 04:41 AM
Right, it's my uni PC's and i would have thought the drivers are the latest. It hasn't done it with any other model apart from my head that im working on at the moment. And the head layer works fine, it's when i turn on two layers (the eyeballs) that it crashes, and only when i rotate. The eyeballs are the only thing with textures on at the moment, and i wondered if it maybe that thats doing it. In my time of using lightwave, i've never had so many crashes linked to the exact same thing, usually a restart does the trick. The graphics car is a Nvidia FX5200 with 64mb ram, and the PC is an AMD 1400+ with 512 ram.

What drivers does lightwave actually use? open GL or directX? and where do i get the latest openGL from?

BeeVee
10-18-2004, 05:01 AM
Hi,

Okay, the way to check what version of the drivers you have is to right click on the desktop and go to Properties. In there, choose Settings and Advanced. This should bring up the configuration panel for the nVidia card. There is one tab, with the name of the card on it, which has a pop-out. Click on the name of the card in this pop-out and it should open a page in the window that gives the versions of the various drivers. For instance the top line of mine says:

nv4_disp.dll Display Driver 6.14.10.6182

the 6182 is the version number - 61.82 in this case. To get new drivers, you need to go to www.nvidia.com and there's a Download Drivers menu item on the main page (at the top of the page). Get the latest ones for your card, uninstall the current ones, reboot into a crappy 640x480x16-colour screen and install the new ones, reboot and then make your settings right. I very much doubt the university will allow you to do all this to one of their machines, but I'm giving you the full process...

In answer to your other question, LightWave only uses OGL.

B

lardbros
10-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Righty ho, had to get a technician to open up the display properties and the number is 6.14.10.5672 on the same dll as the one you quoted, and they have direct x 9.

I'll get them to update the drivers and see if it makes any difference! Thanks, but i may be back for more help! :)

lardbros
10-18-2004, 01:38 PM
The newest of the new drivers are now installed (6.14.10.6177) and it still happens. Only when the eyeballs and the main head are selected. Only have one eyeball in each layer, and even then when i bring up the head aswell it still causes a crash. The eyeballs are 4600-ish polys each, but surely that shouldn't cause a crash!

Hope someone can help!?

BeeVee
10-19-2004, 01:47 AM
Have you tried loading the eyeballs individually? Perhaps it's a problem with them directly.

B

lardbros
10-19-2004, 04:09 AM
Not quite sure what u mean by loading them seperately, they are modelled in the same object as the head but in different layers! I must admit, i've had several problems with the eyes. Sometimes after loading layout, some of the mesh deletes itself too. Only on one of the eyes, but it is annoying having to mirror the other one once in a while. I consider myself to be about average in my knowledge of modelling, and try to model things so that no errors occur, but obviously there is something wrong with them.

I'll try modelling them all over again, in a seperate model file with the head and see what happens.

Thanks for your time! :)

BeeVee
10-19-2004, 04:22 AM
You can always copy and paste them to a new model... :)

B

lardbros
10-19-2004, 07:48 AM
I tried copying them to a new model first and the errors still happen. So i began modelling them from scratch again.... this time no crashing at all. No matter how much i mess around rotating it in Textured Wireframe view. Makes me wonder what on earth was wrong with the original balls (eyeballs)??! hmmmmm.

Oh well, the eyes look better this time round anyway!

Cheers for your help

BeeVee
10-19-2004, 07:53 AM
:) It's funny how that happens isn't it? I bet remodelling them not only took less time but also ended up in a better result too...

B