PDA

View Full Version : smartbarXP - (XP users only)

JML
10-16-2004, 03:28 PM
you can download this little program (free) to add a tool bar in winXP..
this will not replace windows task bar, so don't worry.

(on the picture, the window taskbar is hidden behind the new one)
(but you can still access it in case something happen)

it's supposed to be like a copy of a tool bar which might be in windows longhorn...
(not 100% sure about that...)

http://www.smartbarxp.com/cgi-bin/cws/home.php

temperature readings works with "motherboard monitor 5" (another free and secure download)

you can cutomize everything, there are a LOT of stuff you can add to it..

if you think it takes too much space, you can auto-hide the tool bar..

js33
10-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Hey JMNewtek,

Thanks for the link. I installed it. Pretty cool. I used to customize Win98 alot but haven't done so with XP much yet.

Cheers,
JS

Silkrooster
10-16-2004, 08:37 PM
JMNEWTEK,
Have you ran a spyware program after installing that. The only reason I ask is that I have been burnt enough times to assume if it is free then it must be spyware.
Silk

JML
10-16-2004, 09:10 PM
you're welcome js33,

silkrooster, I have a spy remover and it did not find anything..
it also says on their web site why it's free... (see part of FAQ below..)

this bar is not only to look good, it is very useful...

from their FAQ :

"5) How much does it cost?

The software is completely free! It contains no hidden costs, adverts or spyware, and doesnt require registration. You can donate through PayPal however if you wish.

"Why is it free?" I hear you cry! Well, it was simply written as a hobby project, and as a student I cannot place grantees on updates and support. Plus, we all know what everyone's like with their cracks and all. I just didn't fancy the hassle of trying to prevent cracking and whatnot. I'd rather several people use the software rather than a few that would be willing to pay for it."

JML
10-16-2004, 09:12 PM
another part from their FAQ :

"1) Is it just for WindowsXP?

The software has been developed and tested on WindowsXP. It was originally designed for XP only, however time has been spent making it work on Windows2000/ME/98. There are a few limitations when using it on an earlier OS than XP, namely the Windows XP theme and translucency will not work, however on the whole the panes should have no problem on non XP systems. "

Karmacop
10-16-2004, 11:45 PM
That looks cool but it also looks like a massive waste of space.

js33
10-17-2004, 12:38 AM
You can set it to autohide on the left or right side of the screen so you wont even know its there unless you use it.

Cheers,
JS

Karmacop
10-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Yeah but I get annoyed enough with the start bar on auto hide :p

It just annoys me that

- the time and date could be 2 lines
- media player is nice but you usually just let a play list play
- never do I need to look at system resources enough to have it there
- I have a window so that weather information is kind of useless ;)

It's nice, but I just feel it's a lot of unimportant information taking up a lot of room. Something similar but more compact would be good though.

Jim_C
10-17-2004, 09:25 AM
I gave it a try.
Little too bloated for me but is cool to look at.

If anyone has a 'net access,chat,email' computer and wants up to minute news headlines from dozens and dozens and dozens of sources, there is a cool free program called Newztop.

http://www.newztop.com/

Neither adaware or spybot label it as spyware and I have looked at several online lists of offending programs and have never seen it.

It defaults to searching all its news categories, which for me, is way too many that I do not have interest in.
The best thing to do is load your list of favorite news topics (you should see them all) then set it to start up with your favorites.

Uses 0 resources and 8k of memory, can be set to top or bottom of screen and always on top or not. It's tiny across the screen. Same width as single task bar.

I like it

Jim

JML
10-17-2004, 09:49 AM
I don't like autohide either...
yes it takes some space...
but it's kinda cool and useful to see the memory go up when you load a
LW scene... this way when you work you see in real time how much ram you are using.. (and then you guess if you are going to have problem when you render High-rez)

for temperature and fans.., my computer is overclocked so it's a little useful for me..
I don't look at it all the time but I like to see the temperature when I render from
time to time to see if I should increase my fan speed...(especially when using multi-threads)

one very good thing is the network monitor, you can see in real time as you work if any program is accessing the internet.. or downloading stuff without you knowing..

the weather panel was my choice.. you can put news or whatever you want.. as I said there are a lot of options..
you can change the clock too, or remove the system monitor if you don't want it..

I might get annoyed with this bar in a few days or weeks because of the space
it takes, but right now I like it.. :)

Paul_Boland
10-17-2004, 12:13 PM
you can download this little program (free) to add a tool bar in winXP..
this will not replace windows task bar, so don't worry.

(on the picture, the window taskbar is hidden behind the new one)
(but you can still access it in case something happen)

it's supposed to be like a copy of a tool bar which might be in windows longhorn...
(not 100% sure about that...)

http://www.smartbarxp.com/cgi-bin/cws/home.php

temperature readings works with "motherboard monitor 5" (another free and secure download)

you can cutomize everything, there are a LOT of stuff you can add to it..

if you think it takes too much space, you can auto-hide the tool bar..

Hi Jmnewtek.

Any chance of seeing your scene rendered? It looks cool!!

hazmat777
10-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Yeah, let's see a render. I'll be checking the gallery pages.

JML
10-17-2004, 01:50 PM
it's actually an image I did a few months ago now.. it's in the LW gallery,
but you should see it on my web site, (bigger resolution)
I loaded it when I took the screenshot because it's one of the biggest scene I did at home.. (takes a lot of ram, so you could see the use of the system monitor on the smartbarXP)

here's the link : www.pierresoft.com/3Djml/
(the picture is the second from the right)
(it might take a little while for the picture to show depending on your connection)

Paul_Boland
10-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks. Great image!

Julie_Boland
10-18-2004, 06:04 PM
WOW!

What an awsome image!

I love the lighting and there are so many little details to seek out.

Great stuff. Very cool. :D

Jim_C
10-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Those are sexy looking helicopters in the other pic too!

:)

JML
10-18-2004, 06:35 PM
thank you very much everybody..
I like the helicopter too :)