PDA

View Full Version : Can't remember how to triangulate...

Turner
10-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Hi,

Well, I'm back to learning LW after some time... I'm up to V8 and can't remember how to triangulate all polygons to 3 points, and I want to export for rendering in another program.

I can't find "triangulate" in the manual.

Thanks,
Andrew

Jalle
10-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Shift+t

/Jalle

Turner
10-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Thanks!

But even after doing this, I still get the message that there are polys with more than 4 vertices...

Andrew

Shift+t

/Jalle

xchrisx
10-16-2004, 01:08 PM
deselect everything then in polygon selection mode press "w" to bring up the statistics window. then click on the plus signs next to the "4 Vertices" or ">4 Vertices". Then triangulate again.

-chris

Turner
10-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Yes, that was it! Ok!

Now, I guess my question is this - I'm getting what appear to be nonplanar polys - these "sails" (or, at least, the front face) are supposed to be perfectly flat, except the beveled edges -

http://www.turnerdesign.net/sails/sails.jpg

and the polys

http://www.turnerdesign.net/sails/sailPolys.jpg

Any advice for that?

Thanks so much!
Andrew

deselect everything then in polygon selection mode press "w" to bring up the statistics window. then click on the plus signs next to the "4 Vertices" or ">4 Vertices". Then triangulate again.

-chris

xchrisx
10-16-2004, 07:44 PM
could you explain your problem a little more? I am having trouble understanding just what it is that you are having problems with.

-chris

Silkrooster
10-16-2004, 08:32 PM
According to your second image, I don't see any non planar polys. It looks like your object has three fans, that is Your polys are merging to a single point. If all polys are triangulated you should not get any non planars. Here is something you could try assuming you do not have a lot of points. Kill those polys, select four points that is two top and two bottom, make poly and continue on until the whole side is done. Save object, then make sure nothing is selected and hit shift-t to triangulate all polys for that object. Now your triangles should be correct. If necessary do the other sides of your object before triangulating.
Hope this helps
Silk

Turner
10-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Way too many polys.

Oh well. I'm off to look for a better solution...

Andrew

According to your second image, I don't see any non planar polys. It looks like your object has three fans, that is Your polys are merging to a single point. If all polys are triangulated you should not get any non planars. Here is something you could try assuming you do not have a lot of points. Kill those polys, select four points that is two top and two bottom, make poly and continue on until the whole side is done. Save object, then make sure nothing is selected and hit shift-t to triangulate all polys for that object. Now your triangles should be correct. If necessary do the other sides of your object before triangulating.
Hope this helps
Silk