PDA

View Full Version : Best way to animate this . . . ?

Matt
04-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Hi

I have an object that needs a two stage animation as shown on attached diagram.

To do this with any accuracy in layout would be painful due to the
lack of tools to move objects along their 'normal' etc.

There are however tools to do this in Modeler.

So one way is to setup morph targets rather than just zoom in
really far and position everything by eye (which might end up
being good enough).

I was just wondering how everyone else would go about doing this.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

meatycheesyboy
04-07-2003, 09:40 AM
I would orient the triangle piece so that the long side is flat along the Z-axis in modeler and the sliding piece is also flat. Then put both objects into Layout, and parent the sliding piece to the triangle. Then do your sliding and rotating while the pieces are aligned with the Z axis. After your animation is complete just rotate the triangle 45 degrees so its angled correctly.

Hope that makes sense. If not, I'll try and come up some pictures later.

Matt
04-07-2003, 11:10 AM
I hear ya, I did think of something along them lines, but for speed I only drew part of what my model looks like.

The image above should really be mirrored to give a better representation of what I have modelled.

:)

Extent
04-08-2003, 12:48 AM
You could use a morph map for the fist move, since they're linear, then just have your pivot point moved and keyframe the fold down

Matt
04-08-2003, 02:02 AM
thanks, that was what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if there was an easier way of doing it!

(other than zooming really close and keyframing it)

cheers
matt

Matts
04-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Hrmmmm.
Might take a bit, but manually keyframe out the motions, then change the pivot point to rotate it?

faulknermano
04-09-2003, 03:44 AM
what i would do is parent the rectangular piece to an orientNull. this orientNull will be oreinted to match the angle of the of triangular thing. then it's just a matter of keyframing the rectangular piece along and Z axis. or better yet, parent yet another moverNull to the orientNull and then parent the rectangular piece to the moverNull. the moverNull moves along the Z of the orientNull, and the rectangular piece does all the rotating only.

just a thought.