PDA

View Full Version : My T3 is VERY ill

Richvideo
10-15-2004, 06:55 PM
My T3 has been sick since the end of August and I don't know how to cure it.
Symptoms
Random crashes (VT3.exe shuts down) in Tedit
Projects will not load back up> I see black(blank) icons on the video clips with rendering clocks showing for a second and poof the VT3 crashes and gives me this error
"The instruction at 0X004a6066 referenced memory at 0x00000000 the memory could not be read.
If you keep loading up the project over and over again it sometimes comes back and you can work with it for a little while , but it will crap our again...The clips all go black like it is not seeing them off the array anymore.
What I have done so far to try to fix this
Re-install the software withthe most recent patch (did this more than once)
Check for bad video or audio codecs.everything seems cool
Look for IRQ conflicts (none)
I have six 120GB SATA WD drives running on Escalade 7000 card (updated driver and firmware)
Running SP2 on all my systems with no problems. I re-installed SP2 on this machine to try to see if it was a problem
The controller card is not giving me any error warnings
Running dual 2.4 Xeons on a supermicro board
The drive is not fragmented
I have a radeon 9100 card in there and I am wondering if the card is going bad could it cause these problems. I have the most recent driver running the card. I have even pulled the driver and used the default windows VGA driver and that did not help
In order to get this project out I transfered the footage to my other T3 system and ran the project from there...No problems, it worked fine
I did a core update on the card too
Most of the clips in the project are DV type 2 and it has some wave and mp3 audio clips
Any ideas? Has anyone else seen this kind of problem? It is drving me nuts. Everytime I think I fixed it it shows up shortly after.
Thanks Newtekers

Jim Capillo
10-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Check your RAM......

Dario Bajurin
10-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Have you install Matrox codecs? It could be problem!

Richvideo
10-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Nothing like that has been added. I checked all the codecs.

Ran both of these ram tests...not one error
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest86.com/

Okay, the Ram tests passed, but I just ran my VCOM fix-it utilties PC tests and the video card test had some failures. It passed one time but I ran it again and it failed a poloygon and line drawing test and it said it recevied a ram error or a hardware failure.
If anyone knows of any other video card test programs I could run to test this further it would be a big help.
If I can lock this down as the problem I will replace the card.

deejay
10-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Try converting your mp3's to wave files........ my machine will also crash with mp3's randomly. :confused:

wvp
10-17-2004, 01:48 PM
I wonder if you did a complete uninstall of VT - that is not only running uninstall, but also deleting registry entries as well and deleting the VT folder.
When we have experienced odd crashes, this seems to have fixed them.
Another though is that you have DV & MPG clips - both are CPU intensive, perhaps its just taxing the system too much.

Richvideo
10-18-2004, 10:43 AM
I re-installed the software more than once...cleared reg entries and got rid of the VT3 folder.
Did nothing to help.

Still don't get what is causing this problem.
Yes the clips are cpu intensive, but it has been running them fine for over a year

mgrusin
10-18-2004, 12:37 PM
There's also a reformat and reinstall of Windows to try. I find that Windows develops problems over time that it can't identify or fix (stuff just "stops working"). Sometimes you can fix it yourself, but it's often easier and faster just to reinstall.

I'd recommend buying and installing a new, blank hard drive if you try this (you can always make use of it later). If you have the same problems on a fresh install, I'd definitely suspect the hardware.

Good luck! -MG.

Edit: one more thing to check is all your fans; I've seen lots of failed fans (those tiny ones only last a few months for me), leading to random crashes as things heat up.

Jim Capillo
10-18-2004, 01:40 PM
I was having problems a while ago and went back to NVidia build 45.33 and it cleared up all of the glitches. It's an easy install and probably worth the try......

Richvideo
10-18-2004, 01:59 PM
I have a ATI Radeon 9100 card. I don't think that driver would work with it. I did go back on the driver for the ATI card...No help

Jim_C
10-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Do you think since NT suggests nvidia, the ATI card might have something to do with it Rich?

Have you had that card in there the whole time without problems?

Just thinking..

Jim

Paul Lara
10-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Do you think since NT suggests nvidia, the ATI card might have something to do with it Rich?

No, Jim I doubt that. VT[3] and [4] work fine on both nVidia and ATI chipsets.
However... one of his diagnostics indicated a problem with Graphics RAM, so it would be worth trying ANY graphics card in its place to see if it settles down.

Jim Capillo
10-18-2004, 03:51 PM
I have a ATI Radeon 9100 card. I don't think that driver would work with it.

Oops, sorry - I didn't read the whole thread very carefully, I guess....... :rolleyes:

Richvideo
10-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Hi,
The new hardware list for VT4 recommends

"PCI Express or AGP-based graphics card
NVidia or ATI graphics chipset"

I have a ATI 9800 pro on my other machine and it works great.

We are out of spare graphic cards in the office....The VCOM Fix-It tools test for the VGA card came back with no errors the two times I ran it this morning. I would like to find another test program to compare results on the card.
In the morning I am going to do a BIOS upgrade and see if that helps. I ran a motherboard dianostic with the Fix-It tools too and came up with a error one time that said it had a problem with the CMOS battery...I was not able to repeat the error.

Richvideo
10-18-2004, 06:35 PM
I did run a system file check this morning to see if any protected Windows files were messed up...No problem was indicated

Paul Lara
10-19-2004, 06:11 AM
Rich,
Have you tried using System Restore to roll you system back to an earlier, happier day on the calendar? If the problem disappears, it would indicate a software issue instead of hardware, which keeps checking out ok on all your diagnostics.

wvp
10-19-2004, 06:46 AM
I did run a system file check this morning to see if any protected Windows files were messed up...No problem was indicated
You can run all the tests you want - at this point I think I would reformat the C drive, reinstall windows and VT. It will take less time to do all this than to troubleshoot where the problem is.

Richvideo
10-20-2004, 11:12 AM
That could be an option, but it would not be easy.
I have a half a terabyte of stuff on my video drive and not enough space on my other T3 systems to off load the stuff.
We would then have to put the drive controller software back in and hope the array shows back up or I will lose everything.

Ivan
10-20-2004, 11:27 AM
The drive should show up with no problem. I have built and rebuilt a number of systems and the array has never failed to rebuild with no data loss. This includes 4 systems that I upgraded from W2K to XP and one system that we had to replace and upgrade a 3Ware card. Of course your's could always be the first the way your luck is running.

Ivan

kdennis
10-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Is this Rich L?

Jim_C
10-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Hey Rich,

Like Ivan said, reformatting your c(or whatever) system drive will have no effect what so ever on any other drive.

I just did that exact thing to 2 T3 systems without a hitch.

Just adding one more vote of 'go ahead' to the reformat of c.

Jim

Ivan
10-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Just to clarify, my vote was not for formatting C, rather pointing out that doing so would likely not have an ill effect on the raid. I have almost never done a reinstall or reformat and when I did I figured out halfway through what the problem was and realized it was not necessary. With that I leave my chad hanging and you can interpret my vote as you wish.

Ivan

Richvideo
10-21-2004, 07:01 AM
The C drive stays :)

Well I gave one more shot at it last night and I finally killed this bug.
What it was I am not exactly sure, but it seemed to be related to the MainConcept codec and AE 6.5 which I dropped in this summer. I thing we had a Registry error sprinkled on top to make it hard to lock down the problem. I got rid of the Main Concept codec and took out 6.5. I then used my Fix-it utilities Reg fixer to fix any bad registry problems.
I did a bunch of tests and those problem projects are loading up with no problems this morning.
We really need some sort of cleanup/fixer tool for the MainConcept codec. I have read so many posts on this site over the years with guys having problems with this codec. It would be nice to have a app that tells us if the codec is installed correctly or if it is having conflicts with another app.
Thanks For Everyone's input and advice.
*** In my quest to fix this computer I came across some cool tool**
This program tells you EVERYTHING about your computer. It will also find you OS product Key and Serial number...Hidden passwords and more http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/about_siw.htm
This is the best spyware killer program that I have used. It removed some hard to kill spyware that Spybot, Spysweeper, and Adaware could not.
http://www.giantcompany.com/(zskiy255fzbboz55awojw1qn)/default.aspx

Scott Bates
10-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Glad you finally got it tracked down and fixed. Thanks for the links.

SBowie
10-21-2004, 09:06 AM
This is the best spyware killer program that I have used. It removed some hard to kill spyware that Spybot, Spysweeper, and Adaware could not.Did you locate docs somewhere that helped you use it for that purpose, or am I just dumb? ;)

Richvideo
10-21-2004, 10:45 AM
The spyware tool did not help fix the T3 problem, but it was useful for getting rid of some bad spyware that was on the computer

mgrusin
10-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey Rich, which Mainconcept codec was giving you trouble? (MPEG2?)

Glad you're back up and running! -MG.

SBowie
10-21-2004, 08:29 PM
The spyware tool did not help fix the T3 problem, but it was useful for getting rid of some bad spyware that was on the computer
It's a cool tool, I just don't see anything that obviously says "get rid of spyware" ... :p

Richvideo
10-22-2004, 05:20 AM
Hi Steve,
I had two links for the tools. One of them was a tool to show you lots of info on your system and the other was the spyware killer/ The link
ttp://www.giantcompany.com/(zskiy255fzbboz55awojw1qn)/default.aspx

mgrusin,
It was the Mainconcept DV codec that was the problem.