PDA

View Full Version : idea for a game

KPS
10-14-2004, 03:45 PM
If someone has an idea for a game how whould you go to have it made?
I'm not a programmer, but there should be a way to submitt your ideas to companies that will produce it. Also what is the best way to submit an idea for a game to get it copyrighted??

Thanks.

Jeff

Lamont
10-15-2004, 09:43 AM
There is no way to submit an unsolicited idea to a game company, it would be quickly shreded for legal reasons. And anyone can copyright something, it involves a lawyer and some $$$.

If you have an idea for a game, and you have no $$$, no programming exp and no team. The best way to whet you whistle is to make a mod. Quake and Unreal are great platforms and are heavily documented. I have not gotten too far into the Doom 3 editor, but any kind of game is possible.

Even if you do know a good programmer, it's still better to mod existing technologies than to write an engine from scratch. Way too much time will be lost, time that could be spent adding to proven techs. You will get better results in a quicker timeframe, and you could do it with a 2 man team. Unless you know how to do decent programming, then you can do it by yourself.

If you want to make a game and sell the sucker, buy Torque. They are there for the Indie game developer.

shaol
10-16-2004, 02:07 PM
I agree with lmont, the game world is very hash when it come to games. So mod is the best way to go.

KPS
10-16-2004, 03:32 PM
I don't know much about mods, so I will try to find someone that can help me on this project.
Thanks for the reply. :D

Lamont
10-16-2004, 08:13 PM
If you don't have Unreal Tournament 2004, pick it up, and make sure it's the DVD version. It has about 15+ hours of tutorials. That's more than enough to get you started. Although you can not make entire levels in Lightwave, you can make all the props and do the character animation in it.

KPS
10-16-2004, 09:20 PM
That's great Lamont, I will try that.
Thanks for your help.

Jeff :cool:

Lamont
10-16-2004, 09:30 PM
I know how to do level geometry and characters, working on weapons now. So ask any questions you have here:). Scripting is something I currently don't have time for, but I'd like to learn.

Starlost
10-18-2004, 01:35 AM
Well actually the best way to go is to get a group together and buy a decent gaming engine first. Like it was mentioned far too much time is involved in creating a new engine and generally you wouldnt have the $$$ or time to do it correctly. It would take 1 or 2 games that hit the shelves and do extremely well to put you in the proper position to consider designing a new engine. With that in place you then pull together your coders for the engine, the artists and modellers, music makers, technical folks, system administration of network computers, warehouseing, marketing, Accounting, office lackeys, tech support. it's really not a 1 person or even 12 person job. most have at least 5 or 6 people in each depart ment save for the system admin and tech support can be as few as 2 people. And dont be surprised when some actually have people in dual roles, Marketing and Accounting for instance. Then you have to consider how your going to mass produce the program are you burning it in house or sending out to a company that has the equiptment to do this for you. The one I used to work for without naming the company here put out Morrowind and DaggerFall both excellent games, had the equipment in house about 4 or 5 of the machines that just took a stack of CD's about 2 feet tall each and burned away.. Then you have to consider the packaging designs, Manuals, strategy guides, Web page gurus. ..

It really grows fast on what is needed. but with proper planning and guidance it can be achieved. I would suggest that you contact a local gaming company and arrange for a site tour. Most are willing to show you around and explain the business and believe me they have fun but it's alot of hard work. going from multiple beta testings to final product. your generally looking at minimum 2 years easily and can go up to 4 or more for a really hard core all the bells and whistles type game.

It's great work when you can get it probably your best option would be to contact a gaming company president and discuss the idea and have them host the game for you initially. The worst they can say is no thanks. And I am sure that they have alot of folks coming to them with gaming ideas all the time. ( games are really a big industry nowadays and the E3 convention is like gaming mecca..

Starlost

KPS
10-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Base on the answers I got on this tread, Iím developing a special website, an online cooperative game development site that people would submit they qualifications and or samples of their work. We can then select who we think would make the best contribution for the project, assembling a team of artist, designers, programmers, animators, modelers, writers, marketing , etc. With todayís technology I think that this is feasible. Anyone with an idea for a game could submit it for review by a selected panel, when chosen it would be put into production by a team that was selected online for that specific job. Pay would be based on percentage of any profit made.
I will talk to my lawyer about the legal aspect of the business. We will create non-discloser agreements that will ensure the protection of work submitted. We will also offer copyright services and job postings. There will be an area for the submission of mod, a forum section. All meetings will be conducted with video conference if available or trough instant messaging. There will also be a gallery and store to make the games available to the general public.
I will keep posting any progress on this project. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Lamont
10-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Keep in mind that it's dang hard to have people work for a long time without pay. Those types of teams disapear like 6800 Ultra videocards. The less the organization, the more likely the team will break up. You're going to have to weed through the people who start strong and give up, people who talk but don't walk, no show's.. ect.

I have more to say, but it's kinda busy.. this is a good start :)

Lamont
10-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Here you go... ;) :D

KPS
10-18-2004, 04:17 PM
That's Great! :D

djlithium
10-24-2004, 10:49 PM
That's Great! :D
I have been doing a bit of research into this myself lately and I am about to go out and buy doom 3 and try out the level editors. I orginally wanted to do a mod for AvP but only AvP2 actually has any ability to import any new models or levels directly with out some serious hacking.
URT2004 is also a good place to start as its probably the most Ligthwave friendly game out there. Counter strike (halflife) has to be the most heavily mod'ed though with literally thousands of different versions around. What would be great is some additional tools for conversion of LW models and animation cycles directly into some of the formats for loading into the "mod" files, or at least some kind of simulation engine that would take the general limitations of the engine you choose to be developing for (could be a bit of a *****, but its an idea) and see how well your model will perform with in the budget of the engine for resources. That would be a seriously kick as dev tool and marketing pump for lightwave. Basically pick your engine, and this database will filter you LW0 or LWS into that engine budget space for textures and poly count and give you an idea as to where it stands. Good idea? bad? Plug in developers needed! :)

Lamont
10-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Check out the thread about howe to make LW more game content friendly.

shandaman
11-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Well I have something to say. I am a pure lw user and i make levels for games that use the q3 engine so that is possible. Second i have barley any money just little bit and im in the proccees of makign a killer 3rd person view game. So that is also possible And my team for this game currently is only 2 main ppl and 1 other guy who helps with a couple weapons and thats all. So it is possible.

djlithium
11-06-2004, 07:24 PM
I would like to try a q3t mod myself. Replacement characters, weapons and environments. Does anyone know what kind of "atmospheric" support there is in the qt3 engine? I am specifically looking to do a scenario in rain.