PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon Character Creation books

Paul_Boland
10-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi.

Just wondering has anyone heard a confirmed release date for the two Cartoon Character Creation books, published by Wordware? On their website, it still says that will be going to print in March 2004, shipping in April.
:confused:

coremi
10-14-2004, 12:45 PM
maybe the end of this month, as kurv said, hopefuly

cresshead
10-14-2004, 02:16 PM
yeah i heard this it's end of oct 2004...hope so i ordered about 6 months back...been a loooooooooooooong wait!...cancelled the wordware order and re ordered on amazon..was simpler and i can track it.

looking forward to them as i want to get good at toon style characters for my project that i have started..been putting it off til i got the books but couldn't wait any longer so made a start myself...

see the toon cat!

WilliamVaughan
10-14-2004, 07:27 PM
I heard this month as well....just wait till you read these....They are freakin cool! Jonny Gordon rocks!

Hypershade
10-15-2004, 02:09 AM
I heard this month as well....just wait till you read these....They are freakin cool! Jonny Gordon rocks!

Is there anything, person, place, or thing, ... that means anything that touches lw, which you dont thinks rocks or is cool

proton, over the years, your posts have become subjective and ethereal, not to mention pointless to read and think serious about

WilliamVaughan
10-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Can you feel the love!

Fact 1: I was told by the publisher that it would be out this month.

Fact 2: The books are cool...Jonny walks you thru the creation of two amazing characters.......COOL!

Fact3: Jonny Gordon Rocks! I would challenge anyone to argue that!

Fact 4: You have the ability to spot my avatar and skip my comments.....

Fact 5: Serious? I hope I'm never refered to as a serious person :P

kurv
10-15-2004, 09:28 AM
The books are being printed right now... so we will be shipping all orders through Wordware by the end of the month.

Our distributor will have the books by the end of the month but it will take them three weeks to get the cataloged and shipped to the various sellers like Amazon and Borders, etc...

Wordware is offering a SpinQuad special on these titles and all other Lightwave titles, Coupon Code 37% off - "SPINQUAD-SPECIAL".

Cartoon Book - www.wordware.com/cartoon

All LW titles - www.wordware.com/lightwave

GregMalick
10-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Aloha Kurv,
Next week's my birthday.
Could you put a special rush on my pre-order? he-he
;)

Chuck
10-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Our posted moderation policy states:

The NewTek Forums are not a free speech zone, they are for professional and civil discourse regarding NewTek products by NewTek users. Those who are unable to stick to topic or unable to maintain civil conversation with others will have their accounts removed.

Personal attacks are not civil conversation, and the personal attack in this thread was part of a pattern of such in recent postings by the user involved.

We do ban users for this kind of behavior, so please, everyone - keep it civil, and refrain from personal attacks.

Trawler
10-15-2004, 10:21 AM
More power to you Proton, and well said Chuck!!! :)

cresshead
10-15-2004, 11:02 AM
chuck "rocks"
&
proton is "supa cooooool"

[it's a bit like tennis in it?]

cheers

steve g

LFGabel
10-15-2004, 11:18 AM
... two Cartoon Character Creation books, published by Wordware...
A little late into the conversation... but two books? I thought there was only one...?

Double the pleasure!

What is shipping going to cost to get the books to Canada?

cresshead
10-15-2004, 11:43 AM
looks like late/end of november for those who like me ordered the books on amazon.com or amazon.co.uk...ohh well!...hope they are up to the hype!

which i'm sure they are! :)

looks like i can devote october/november to learning abit about xsi while i wait for the lightwave books

and ......
maybe just maybe i might get my hands on the lightwave printed manual for xmas 2004!!!....oredered it eons ago!....though i hear they are re writing it with better jokes than the usa version...or i might get a laser printer an make my own from the pdf!

to be quite honest i find it absurd that the lightwave manual needed to be re written...i'd sooner had the usa version 4 months back but hey what do i know!

... :rolleyes:

Paul_Boland
10-15-2004, 11:56 AM
End of the month... COOL!! Thanks for the info :D .

kurv
10-15-2004, 01:54 PM
A little late into the conversation... but two books? I thought there was only one...?

Double the pleasure!

What is shipping going to cost to get the books to Canada?

You darn Canadians... ;)

We had to split the books into 2 because of the size... they were just too big!!! This happened some time back :P

We wont know a shipping cost to Canada until the books are here and we get the weight :/ sorry...

Thinking about running a little contest for a set of books as a prize...

more to come...

LFGabel
10-15-2004, 04:16 PM
We wont know a shipping cost to Canada until the books are here and we get the weight :/ sorry...
If it were me, I'd take the Lightwave 7 Character Animation book, note its weight, # of pages and paper stock, and apply it as an estimate to the new books.

I mean it shouldn't cost too much more or less to ship Lightwave 7 Character Animation that it would to ship one of the Cartoon Character books.

I think that'd be a good way to determine a ballpark shipping estimate... or is there something I'm missing?

Silkrooster
10-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Kurv, Proton
Do either of you know if the author uses box modeling or spline modeling, etc.
I am looking for some great box modeling books, tuts, etc. These books look very promising. Now with Proton endorsement, I am really getting excited.
Silk

WilliamVaughan
10-15-2004, 08:55 PM
He shows several methods in each model....I learned some cool new techniques along the way!

jonny
10-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Just saw this thread... Yep not long now, yay :)

Silkrooster, I show a range of modeling techniques. As I explain in the books, I prefer not to stick to a single "method" of modeling, but use whatever will work best for the part of the model I'm creating. I don't show spline modeling in these books though, as I tend to only use that for non-organic objects.

And Proton, I certainly feel the love :)

Silkrooster
10-18-2004, 12:37 AM
I see Amazon has recently added the books back on their list. I was looking at an avatar of the first listing that they canceled and the two new avatars. I wonder how many others have noticed that the graphics of the second book had the background colors of the first book in the original listing. I take it that was the reason why they pulled the listing, because the book got split into two books.
Silk

Julie_Boland
10-18-2004, 06:19 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on these books myself.

I've been hearing only good things.

Cartoon Models are something I've been longing to try out, but I currently lack the skills.

kurv
10-29-2004, 10:29 AM
UPDATE!!

Okay the books are shipping from the printer to us today! We will have them next week and will be shipping all orders then.

If you ordered from us you will get your books before the book stores do!!

Also...

We are extending our special... buy now through when the books arrive and get BOTH books for the price of one here -> http://www.wordware.com/cartoon/ this is an exclusive online special so the site DOES NOT reflect the special price.

Under coupons enter SPINQUAD to get both books at 50% off retail!!

Limited time offer now through November 3rd!

Paul_Boland
10-29-2004, 12:44 PM
I was wondering why there were two posts by me on the forum titled the same?!? Turns out my old post about these books, made a few months back, is one of them. Surprisingly I named it the same as my recent post.

Great to know the books are shipping. I have my order in at Amazon.co.uk so looking forward to them getting here. Thanks for the news.

kurv
11-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Okay folks the books are in house!!!!

1. We will be shipping out all the advanced orders all week

2. The special for buy one get on free ends as of 5pm cst today... You have been warned no crying later ;)

kurv -

WilliamVaughan
11-02-2004, 12:10 PM
doin the happy dance....congrats

colkai
11-02-2004, 12:57 PM
doin the happy dance....congrats
OK.. someone video Prton doin' taht and ya got some good blackmail material :p

WilliamVaughan
11-02-2004, 03:24 PM
I mocaped it today.....you'll see it soon :)

cresshead
11-02-2004, 03:27 PM
LOL! :D

now that's a great way to give two tutorials....

tutorial one: how to use mo cap with lightwave on a character

tutorial two:how NOT to dance!

cheers!

steve g

colkai
11-03-2004, 02:36 AM
Sire, you have no shame :p

grafikimon
11-03-2004, 12:00 PM
I just placed an order at the link you posted, but got no shipping info and no confirmation email.

Is this normal?

Also I put in the spinquad coupon but saw no change in the price?

Thanks

Jason McAlpin

kurv
11-03-2004, 12:32 PM
I just placed an order at the link you posted, but got no shipping info and no confirmation email.

Is this normal?

Also I put in the spinquad coupon but saw no change in the price?

Thanks

Jason McAlpin

Jason, yes thats normal... it is a secure email form, nothing fancy :)

We got the order and the discount is applied to all pre-orders.

Thank you!!

grafikimon
11-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Jason, yes thats normal... it is a secure email form, nothing fancy :)

We got the order and the discount is applied to all pre-orders.

Thank you!!

Thanks for the quick reply,

what kind of shipping?
UPS air/ground? 3rd class mail? it doesn't say how the books are being shipped.

kurv
11-03-2004, 01:38 PM
We prefer UPS fro trackinig purposes... if you are outside the cont US and would like to choose a cheaper shipping method let us know.

Insied the cont US is free shipping...

jonny
11-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the orders guys :)

You didn't tell me you were doing the dancing Will... but having seen the model for this I totally can't wait to see it dancing :p

art
11-09-2004, 07:44 AM
would it be possible for us to get the tracking number so we could see where the books are? :)

Paul_Boland
11-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Just wanted to say that the two books arrived from Amazon.co.uk today and after flicking through them, they look truly fantastic!! I am looking forward to sitting down and having a read through them. My sister and I also looked at the sample movies on the CD's. Very cool, very inspirational work.

I now own Inside Lightwave 8 and the two Lightwave 8 Cartoon Character Creation books. These are all excellent publications. My next Lightwave purchase will be the software itself :D.

jonny
11-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks Paul :)

All 3 books should help you make the transition from 7-8 quite easily

cresshead
11-24-2004, 05:26 PM
well i'm on page 75 now of the fist volume and so far it's been a great expericence...i've found no errors in the text so far which is amazing for written tutorial books such as these and so i just would like to say well done on the very clear written text so far that i've followed..there were only one or two areas in the text where a video may have been a better way to show a task but i got the result with minimum fuss so no real hassle...
anyway here's my result from thefirst 75 pages....i made the ears smaller as i wanted to make some stuff a little different from the background picture but i'm quite pleased with what i have, which is a clean , well build model which should be good for the morph targets whic i'll be building next..

cheers jonny!..ace books...been waiting to read them for ages! :)

here ya gooo

jonny
11-24-2004, 05:36 PM
That's looking great Stephen :) It's very cool seeing different people's interpretations of the characters.

Don't forget to visit the support forum if you have any trouble:
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=23

cresshead
11-25-2004, 08:59 AM
hi

i edited the character in lightwave to get rid of the anttena and made his feet and hands smaller then thew to model into 3dsmax 4.2 and rigged him up with character studio for a quick deform test...i'll be rigging him up in lightwave too via jonny's quick rigging section so you'll be seeing that as well soon...
anyway...mo cap'd walk appled to the wee alien critter!

:)

cresshead
11-25-2004, 09:02 AM
opps!

try again!

DigiLusionist
11-30-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm getting both books for Christmas... **giggling like a school girl** :D

Rich
12-01-2004, 09:01 AM
I ordered on Nov. 23rd from Amazon and this is the shipping date for me

Delivery estimate: January 5, 2005 - January 6, 2005 1 of: Lightwave 3D 8 Cartoon Character Creation, Volume 2 : Rigging & Animation

Has anyone already received their copy or are the book not done being printed yet?

Mr_Bester
12-01-2004, 09:08 AM
I ordered on Nov. 23rd from Amazon and this is the shipping date for me

Delivery estimate: January 5, 2005 - January 6, 2005 1 of: Lightwave 3D 8 Cartoon Character Creation, Volume 2 : Rigging & Animation

Has anyone already received their copy or are the book not done being printed yet?
I ordered at the same time, it said January for estimated ship date. Yesterday I got shipping confirmation. So Amazons site isn't quite sure what's going on.

jonny
12-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Yeah, Amazon says Jan, but people are getting them within a week of ordering. I think Amazon is a bit confused :p

cresshead, Now let's see him walking in LW :D

Lottmedia
12-01-2004, 07:30 PM
got mine yesterday even though Amazon said it would bee Jan. Only got the second book. Don't know if it's a mistake or something but Amazon has the second book for only Eleven dollars! Couldn't pass it up

J-Rod

cresshead
12-02-2004, 01:33 PM
re " now lets see him walking in lightwave" from jonny...

ahh...yeah will do for sure!

been making a tutorial video for character studio and i used the character alien created for that tutorial in max..just exported over to max from lightwave...so now that's done and up on turbosquid i'll get back to your books and get it rigged and a running about..will be interested to see how the rig performs in comparison to a biped rig from 3ds max.

also spent some time with xsi [bought foundation 4.0] but have decided to ditch usinf xsi for the foreseeable future as i really hate it's u.i. and render tree material nodes.

so.............. back in my fav app....lightbulb 3d!

later :)

Cman
12-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Just got my books yesterday.
I was pretty upset because there was some billing problem (that's apparently since been fixed), and even so I am VERY happy with the books!!

It's like a BS in modeling/rigging in Lightwave. Quite excellent.

UnCommonGrafx
12-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Bachelor of Science.

I sure HAD to look at that a few times.

Yup, and get Larry Schultz's stuff to make it a Master of Arts. At least, the at home kind.

Cman
12-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Bachelor of Science.

I sure HAD to look at that a few times.

Yup, and get Larry Schultz's stuff to make it a Master of Arts. At least, the at home kind.

LOL!

Well, yes that's what I meant. Maybe Bachelor of Arts would be more appropriate.

kurv
01-18-2005, 08:53 AM
With NewTek releasing an update to LightWave 8 Wordware would like to celebrate by offering a special on the Character Creation books.

For a limited time, use the following coupon and receive 40% off the retail price of 49.95.

NewTek-8-2

Not sure if you really want this book..? Check out Amazons best selling 3D Graphics titles.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/books/4135/ref=pd_ts_b_nav/103-9719350-9497407

Wanna see it for your self, go to www.amazon.com click on TOP SELLERS then choose BOOKS on the left under DVD, then choose Computers & Internet > Graphics & Illustration > 3D Graphics

BTW, out of the top 20 best selling 3D Graphics books, Wordware books still owns 9 slots.