PDA

View Full Version : LightWave to the Rescue!

jevinstudios
10-14-2004, 05:58 AM
LightWave's renderer (the best integrated renderer in the business) has come through again for a project with EXTREMELY tight deadlines in the aerospace industry. I was contacted by one of my clients because they needed a very heavy scene (about 3 million polys and almost 2,000 surface textures) rendered in lightening speed (within 48 hours), and unfortunately, their Maya render farm could not complete the job on time. The client specifically asked for the scene to be rendered in LW (inspired by a recent successful project my studio completed for them, produced 100% w/ LW in a quarter of the time their Maya team could have accomplished).

What would have taken about 7 days on a Maya render farm farm (with about 9 Mac G4 & 5's) was rendered in 18 hours on 2 PC's running LightWave. Daaammmmnnnnn! Gotta love this software (and the fact that I got a nice chunk o' change in my pocket for the unexpected gig, which was a piece of cake!)......

Used PolyTrans for Maya to convert the file, then rendered the puppy in LW8.

LightWave's renderer, despite the fact that it hasn't had any significant upgrades recently, is still top-notch, and has pulled me out of a tight spot more than once. For those using XSI, Maya or Max (without a standalone MR or Renderman pipeline), keep LW on hand as a renderer when you need a punch to beat a tight deadline. You won't be sorry.....

UnCommonGrafx
10-14-2004, 06:26 AM
Jevin,
You just make me all giddy inside! Love these reads.
Well done and congrats.

JohnMarchant
10-14-2004, 06:33 AM
Well done, LightWave again saves the day. I only wish that sometimes NewTek would use and capitalise on this and other things that are mentioned on the internet, press releases and award ceremonies, sometimes i think that NewTek do not promote LightWave enough to a wider audience. Look at sales & marketing of Alias, Discreet and Softimage, Discreet even says that there 3DSMax 6 is the best there is, strange when LightWave wins all these awards and at Half the price of 3DSMax 6. The only one that seems to be worse is Side Effects, who dont seem to promate Houdini at all out the community.

Anyway well done again and a nice bit of extra cash in your pocket :) :) :)

Lightwolf
10-14-2004, 07:02 AM
What would have taken about 7 days on a Maya render farm farm (with about 9 Mac G4 & 5's) was rendered in 18 hours on 2 PC's running LightWave.
Are you sure that is due to LW and not to the Macs? *snicker*

BTW, mentalray _is_ the built in XSI renderer...

cheers,
Mike - scnr ;)

jevinstudios
10-14-2004, 09:05 AM

I don't know about XSI, but mental ray for Maya (now also built-in) has all the same poly, memory & texture limitations of Maya's native renderer (and doesn't support DOF properly, and many light linking nodes!). Mental ray standalone is a whole different ball game (and at a hefty price of over $3,000 per license, which I cannot afford for my small studio. With LW doing such an incredible job, not even remotely interested....).

If mental ray for XSI has 100% the functionality of mental ray standalone with all the extra bandwidth and memory, unlimited poly support, and unlimited texture node capabilities (which is doubtful), then XSI is the only exception here.

Regardless, mental ray for Maya couldn't do the job, and in many cases is much slower than Maya's native renderer (which couldn't do the job either). LightWave has boosted my production render time by about 400% on my last 2 projects, which has been a true lifesaver!! And, if that wasn't enough, I have truly happy clients that are getting their work early, which gives them more time for compositing and post F/X.

Lightwolf
10-14-2004, 09:10 AM
If mental ray for XSI has 100% the functionality of mental ray standalone with all the extra bandwidth and memory, unlimited poly support, and unlimited texture node capabilities (which is doubtful), then XSI is the only exception here.

It does, and it costs a third of what you mention, even less if you buy more than one license. After all, softimage dropped their own renderer in favour of mental ray, so they better support it well :)
From what I've heard, mr on Maya and Max are a completely different beast...

I'm glad to hear you getting your money's worth with LW, I've just had the opposite experience in the past few months and am starting to look over fences :) (I've just wasted too much time with "simple" stuff ... )

Cheers,
Mike

moc
10-14-2004, 09:11 AM
well done,man.
but
MR is built_in maya max and XSI now!!

mattclary
10-14-2004, 09:14 AM
First of all, really glad to hear this!

One of the things I hear people b*tch about all the time is how slow the LW renderer is. What gives?

Lightwolf
10-14-2004, 09:18 AM
One of the things I hear people b*tch about all the time is how slow the LW renderer is. What gives?
I guess it depends on what you do with it...

Once you turn on switches like GI, tons of raytracing, caustics etc... it gets _very_ slow, especially if you need decent aa.
This is basically because the architecture is a bit, erm, outdated.
If you cheat a lot (spinning lights etc...), and don't need none of that fancy stuff, it can be extremely fast because the initial rendering is so ... simple :)

Cheers,
Mike

Exper
10-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Once you turn on switches like GI, tons of raytracing, caustics etc... it gets _very_ slow, especially if you need decent aa.More than agree!

LW Renderer is good but slow even if you need good Depth of Filed and/or Motion Blur (High or Extrem AA needed) and it lacks per-object settings!

Just an example:
the 1280x1024 version of the attached test (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=5634) (BackdropRadiosity + Caustics from 10 ligths + Refraction) required 23 hours on my Athlon XP 2400+ (ok.. not the fastest machine... but not so slow)! :rolleyes:

JohnMarchant
10-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Got to agree with LighWolf, whilst the native LightWave renderer has always been good as an out the box renderer and was way ahead for a long time, its showing its age and the whole package needs a complete re-write. Having said that so do a few other packages, Maya being one of them.

I hope with the recent anouncements by NewTek and some new blood coming in things will hopefully look up. I have said in other forums that i would gladly do without any updates for a year if they were to totally re-write the software from the ground up. I really would like all the tools as is to work get rid of the bugs and have more stablity than any fancy new toys yet

agrippa
10-14-2004, 12:08 PM
I am in the middle of a project and frankly can't imagine doing it with anything other than LW. I have tried other apps over the years, and with the exception of the newest XSI build, none of them held a candle overall to my trusty LW.

jevinstudios
10-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Exper -- beautiful image!

Did some inquiries on new pricing for mental ray standalone (believe me -- this was not as easy as it sounds, now that mental images no longer sells direct!), and came up with 2 structures:

XSI -- $1200 per CPU (would run $2400 for a dual processor machine); includes maintenance

Maya -- $1500 per CPU ($3000 for a dual processor machine); includes maintenance

Generally do not sell licenses for less than 10 machines in a render farm, so is a hefty purchase for any studio, especially for a small one like mine. (This info comez directly from a mental images partner).

Now, back to LW's renderer -- yes, it is showing some age, but still gets the job done beautifully! I normally don't do a lot of caustics & radiosity (and when I do, I usually fake it in order to speed up render time), but do tons of complex ray-tracing. Still think it's the best native renderer in the biz.

For those who purchase XSI Foundation, however, please note that you cannot do distributed rendering on a render farm or network with mental ray for Softimage. Will not work. You need to invest in one of the more expensive tiers of the software.

But, my whole purpose of this thread was to boast (and quite happily, I might add) how LW has really performed extraordinarily well in the render department, by handling extremely poly-intensive scenes with ease and efficiency. Am a very happy man, now that I've delivered the work and my invoice ahead of schedule!

lunarcamel
10-14-2004, 12:17 PM
I'd be curious to see what you rendered exactly ;)

jevinstudios
10-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Lunar --

Would love to, if they'd let me. Unfortunately, the project is confidential -- am under NDA for any specifics as to the subject matter, and cannot post images on any public forum (or on my own website, for that matter....). Ya'll just have to take my word for it that it's quite cool.... :cool:

Ztreem
10-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Nice to hear. :D

People always complaining over LW's renderer, that it's slow when you render with GI, but most of the time you don't need GI. Do a proper light rig and fake the bounce effect and you got speedy renders.
It's the result that matters not the technique.

jevinstudios
10-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Ztreem -- Absolutely! That's the technique I do in 99% of my work, and it works every time.....

lunarcamel
10-14-2004, 03:05 PM
That's exactly the problem with LW - you need to fake GI because it's extremely slow otherwise. ;)

But I agree - If it looks great and you are within budget who cares how it's done - or what it's made with for that matter.

jevinstudios
10-14-2004, 04:00 PM
It's not just LW, tho -- try caustics or GI with mr for Maya -- talk about slow!!! Can take hours to do a real-world accurate render of a complex object or scene set-up. That's why I fake it -- strategically place lights where you need them, tint some for color bounce, adjust the intensities and place negative lights in areas where you want to subtract light for contrast -- and render in the blink of an eye! For caustic fakes, I take a digital photo of caustic light refraction through a surface (or paint an effect in PShop), then map the puppy to a "card" on the luminosity & transparency channels and viola! Place the card beneath the object in the light path, and you've got an incredible caustics effect in a fraction of the time.

The beauty of LW is that you can have a scene with millions of poly's and thousands of textures (not to mention hundreds of image maps), fake GI, and render in under 5 minutes per frame. This is absolutely unheard of in Maya (if you can get the scene to load without crashing, or the render aborting -- forget preview renders on even mildly complex scenes (have to batch render everything to check results, render in multiple passes and composite. Ridiculous!)....

cresshead
10-14-2004, 06:01 PM
lightwave is a solid renderer no doubt

in future i would like to see lightwave add lightscape style radiosity where it stores the lighting info in a subdivided mesh...and has ies lights.

or

gi like that of vray where you can cache the photonmap..thats' where vray can score in having gi scenes render in 5-10mins per frame

or

fprime get REALLY hooked into lightwave...currently fprime is great for setting up lights if not the main render [due to shader imcompatabilities]

i have xsi and so far it seems quite a slow renderer..much slower than lightwave but i'v only just started to use it so i have a lot to learn with mental ray.

Hypershade
10-14-2004, 06:35 PM
What kind of demi - god bs are you pushing ... we all know that your experience you just posted had more to do with g4 and g5 running maya and mental ray. A g4 running maya and mental ray ... HA ... and I can beat Michael Phelps in the 100 m butterfly

why didnt you tell them to pick up a copy of lw ... if lw was the key, their g4s should be able to handle it :) we all know that answer

lw and maya both are optimized for intel anyways

give turtle a shot ... and do not be telling me lw is faster than turtle

jevinstudios
10-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Hyper --

Have had the same experience with mr for Maya on wintel machines as well (my studio is 100% PC-based). Also was one of the original Turtle beta testers last year, and wasn't overwhelmed. Did not see a significant improvement over mr at the time (and, after beta testing, was only given a coupla hundred off the retail price of Turtle if I wanted to buy the release. Talk about BS -- they wanted $1,000 per license from their beta testers to buy the product we worked our asses off testing! No thank you. Let's hope they've dropped their price since the initial release; haven't bothered to check back with them since then.).

Still think LW renderer is the way to go (for me, anyway). I've gotten consistently positive results this way. As far as my clients go -- their software portfolio is their business. I was just pleased that they asked for LightWave by name as the renderer on this project. Quite cool. Now that they've seen the results, maybe they'll invest in some licenses!

Dodgy
10-15-2004, 03:39 AM
I'm given to understand like with any renderer if you have certain set ups in MR then it will chug like a very chuggy thing, but if you know your way around it then you can really get speed ups.
Presumably the guys who were using MR DO know what they were doing with it, and they still had problems. Jevin showed them LW was useful in this case. If they didn't know what they were doing, then this shows how LW's renderer is easy to use to give great results. Either way, LW wins...

3DBob
10-15-2004, 04:47 AM
Cresshead - I do agree with the lightscape thing - but you can do a similar thing in Lightwave.

Here are two lightscape renders I did in early 1998 using LW 5.6

Solution took 20 hours on a Pentium 150MHz

Frames took 120 secs MAA on DEC ALPHA 21164A 600MHz

3DBob

Exper
10-15-2004, 04:52 AM
Jevin... I'm happy you like having a so deep faking... and happy LW has a deep role when other 3D ones fail!

I'm agree... as already said... LW's Renderer is really good (for a well-aged) one... and for everyone who knows faking it becomes a blazing one.

My only doubt is... must a renderer should be good for fakers or should it be good for every one?
Ok... I know... an old-fashioned thought: power to the masses!
I'm sorry! :o

P.S. Thanks for the comment about the prevously posted image!

3DBob
10-15-2004, 04:55 AM
All times are based on Lightwave 7 and 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird c2001

Using lightwave to vertex bake an occlusion map into the pedicure thrones took about 2 hours but the fame you see took about 60secs to render.

Baking the lighting solution into the room took 16 hours but the frame only took 182 secs to render - All of the objecs have previously had an occlusion map baked in.

The objects are high poly - butlightwave just doesn't care!

This is the closest you can get to LightScape style - but it does involve modelling in a certain way and subdividing your objects - but once set up - you can do multiple minute long Arch vis renders overnight on a single 1.4GHz Athlon!

3DBob

3DBob
10-15-2004, 04:56 AM
ooops forgot the LW renders - here you go

BeeVee
10-15-2004, 05:24 AM
Wow, that's some seriously refractive glass you got in that shot of the bedroom! :)

B

jevinstudios
10-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Jevin... I'm happy you like having a so deep faking... and happy LW has a deep role when other 3D ones fail!

I'm agree... as already said... LW's Renderer is really good (for a well-aged) one... and for everyone who knows faking it becomes a blazing one.My only doubt is... must a renderer should be good for fakers or should it be good for every one?

Most of my work is done under tight deadlines and a high production environment. NO renderer (even mr) can offer acceptable performance time-wise if real caustics, radiosity and GI were to be implemented throughout the pipeline. So, I have to balance beautiful results with an efficient render time per frame in order to deliver a finished product on-schedule to my clients. And, a finished product that is a high-quality one.

Now, for illustrations, that can be a whole different story. For still images that require a 100% real-world effect (like a wine or liquor ad), true caustics, radiosity & GI are implemented in many cases. But, I must admit, I really enjoy setting up a fake GI or caustics system -- I love a challenge, and when I can produce something where people sit back and can't tell whether true caustics or GI was used or not, that project has been a huge success. I "paint" with light, and having complete control over my lights and the effect they create is all part of the fun for me.

Anyone can tweak automatic settings to come up with a beautiful GI or caustics effect, then wait 20 hours for the puppy to render. I think my work transcends to a whole different level when I use lights and painted illumination and shadow effect textures as "characters" in a scene to generate the same effect, but with more control over the final look and feel.

I'm a classically trained illustrator at heart, and really enjoy a more hands-on approach. It's all part of the challenging creative process for me, and I find it quite fulfilling (I'm also quite impatient when it comes to rendering, so I DO like to get my results faster to enjoy the fruits of my labor!).....

As I mentioned above, tho, ALL renderers are pretty slow when it comes to true caustics and GI. I do love LW's ease of use and final output too -- for a native renderer, I don't think anyone can dispute that it's the best in the business, and produces top-notch, beautiful results every time, without several of the memory limitations that half-baked versions of mr (like mr for Maya) employ in other packages (high-end licenses of XSI excluded).

I've never had this much joy using Maya, but a whole lot of frustration with mr for Maya's aborting of renders and "clunkiness", as well as it's lack of true integration with all aspects of the software. When I use LW, I know that everything in the scene is fully supported by the renderer and will produce accurate results.

I don't need the newest or the most expensive. Just what does the job and does it well. I think LW fits the bill in this area (having a major client pass off Maya scenes to render in LW in order to make a tight deadline is proof of this....). JMHO.

cresshead
10-15-2004, 10:56 AM
the thing with mental ray is that it'a available on various platforms now so it's hard to judge it fairly by painting a statement on "mental ray" people need to tag on mental ray using maya or mental ray using max or mental ray using xsi.

to my knowledge mental ray with xsi and that includes xsi fundementals is the only 3d ap where mental ray is fully implemented thougout the 3d app so that everything works in mental ray with the app...xsi no longer has a avid/softimage renderer..that was thrown away and replaced by mental ray as the default built in renderer.

all i here about maya is that yes it has a very high profile in film and games but quite often you have to do part of your render in one renderer and other bits in another , this even extends to prman renderer...not an ideal situation.

i think that most people's dream of what can be added to lightwave render would be along the lines of vray, final render or brasil rather than mental ray..as these renderers [vray, final render or brasil ] can do fast GI and fast caustics...

jut my farthings worth anyhow!

Exper
10-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Sorry for starting another argy-bargy! :p

I understand your own feelings and as said before: I'm agree... in a certain amount.

Previously posted test also use a couple of light rigs and some other fakes to accomplish the result.... and evryone knows how every Renderer slow down when you start in using GI, Radioisity and Caustics but all other Renderers are much more configurable than LW's one.

[B]Anyone can tweak automatic settings to come up with a beautiful GI or caustics effect, then wait 20 hours for the puppy to render.Sorry... Jevin (nothing personal)... but I found this sentence a bit scaring... as said before in many other Threads and in many other occasions: we're speaking about software and consecutively about user-base... is evolution really so bad?

I think many users here had lost the focus on the main matter... and they're too pleased in going the hard way... really bad trend for a software.

What I really don't understand: you know how to fake? Ok. Then you can continue to fake also with a smarter Renderer... just not tweaking automatic settings!

I think the main aim for NT shouldn't be: "I'm so pleased about the skilled users" but "I'm so pleased about the wimps".
If a non-super-pro user can produce good/fast results then all the other ones will produce even better than now.

We're often spkeaging about maximum-systems and forget the trivial ones... but he world goes all the way around them... we often want make some bread kneading flour and philosophy!

jevinstudios
10-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Exper -- didn't mean to step on any toes with my statement on my working style, or to put down all the wonderful technological advancements enhancing renderers and our favorite 3D apps these dayz.... Evolution is always in the works, and is a very good thing.

I'm finding more and more in my own work that I enjoy taking a little extra time in using light tricks and techniques to achieve the results I'm looking for. Like I mentioned, I'm an artist more than a technician. I think schools nowdays are pumping out 3D animators by the thousands that are more technicians than artists, who rely on the software to achieve results without a solid foundation in color theory, composition, contrast, positive/negative space, drawing skills, etc. (which is my foundation that I've built upon for 20 years now). That's kind of what I was gettin' at....

In my personal projects, I'm taking more of a hands-on illustration approach, using my 3D applications as tools to achieve the desired mood and effect, but not letting the software do all the thinking for me. It's just a matter of a personal artistic challenge I employ in my day-to-day life, and how I like to work.

Now, there are thousands of animators out there who work in the opposite way, and that is not a bad thing by any means. The beauty of the software we use is that it works in so many ways, with so many tools that can accomplish any task imaginable. We are very lucky to have these tools at our disposal today, and so affordable. There's something for everyone and every working style!

3DBob
10-16-2004, 09:17 AM
From Ben Vost,

Hi Ben,

Wow, that's some seriously refractive glass you got in that shot of the bedroom!

It's a mirror reflecting the other end of the bed - makes more sense in the moving sequences.

3DBob

Exper
10-19-2004, 05:01 AM
Exper -- didn't mean to step on any toes with my statement on my working styleI know! ;)
I like faking too... but I was simply thinking about users who needs a fast and quite simple way to put out a still or a sequence... nothing more! :p

papou
10-20-2004, 06:27 AM
for me Antialiasing is the problem... you have to render 5 times (minimum) the frame.... Sure, render several times the same frame permit spinninglights but... I would like to see a Pixelfilter AA...
I don't think Lw renderer is fast... 3dMax look fast (for simple things)... and c4d is more than that... *
I hope to see some improvement in the next months...

P Jespersen
10-20-2004, 09:18 AM
for me Antialiasing is the problem... you have to render 5 times (minimum) the frame.... Sure, render several times the same frame permit spinninglights but... I would like to see a Pixelfilter AA...
I don't think Lw renderer is fast... 3dMax look fast (for simple things)... and c4d is more than that... *
I hope to see some improvement in the next months...

It sure would be nice in the next few months to be able to choose the exact number of passes you want. ;) :D

Peter

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
Newtek

TheDevil
10-20-2004, 09:37 AM
It sure would be nice in the next few months to be able to choose the exact number of passes you want. ;) :D

Peter

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
Newtek

Now, that would be **** useful. :D

ingo
10-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Uh yes, thats a great idea, so when did you say is Christmas ?

PhongE1
10-20-2004, 01:00 PM

Peter

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
Newtek

So it took what 3 years to get a simple function added to the renderer

TheDevil
10-20-2004, 01:07 PM
So it took what 3 years to get a simple function added to the renderer

...but it still beats all other out of the box apps integrated renderers in quality if currently not in speed. 1 post 1 flame. Are you the same fellow who got banned the other day?

Kurtis
10-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Yes he was. Thanks for your help catching that TheDevil. It's been taken care of.

On with the discussion...

cresshead
10-20-2004, 05:21 PM
there's already a single pass anitalised capability for lightwave..it's post effect render plugin...can't remember the name but it's free on flay somewhere....

still nice hint about some cool stuff on it's way for xmas!

steve g

papou
10-20-2004, 06:38 PM
...there's already a single pass anitalised capability for lightwave..it's post effect render plugin...can't remember the name but it's free on flay somewhere....
It's H/A plugin. It's just good for previewing. Work better if you mix it with doublesize frame but it's not a real solution cause it's look like more like median bluring edge.
Don't get me wrong, thanks to the author to made it and Unreal plugin too, real piece of art.

I just hope something better.

Exper
10-21-2004, 02:01 AM
Selecting an arbitrary number of passes will be really appreciated.

It should be a general behaviour when no Antialiasiang per-object settings are applied! :cool:

retinajoy
10-21-2004, 04:02 AM
So this must mean that they are also currently enhancing the Render engine in general :cool: Can't wait for early New Year with those speed increases and who knows what else. Maybe as soon as Christmas if we are very lucky :D

Exper
10-21-2004, 07:22 AM
So this must mean that they are also currently enhancing the Render engine in general :cool:Note that an arbitrary AA passes number doesn't imply a Renderer enhancing but just a "Let the user type the number of the passes instead using the Presets (Low, Medium, High and Extreme)".

Hoping... I'm wrong! :D

caesar
10-21-2004, 08:31 AM
I love Jevin Studios posts, they´re so polemical :)
(but I find a little odd in a LW forum people complaining about Jevins´ success with LW over other 3d apps...well, Im not intend to be short-sightned about options, but...) :confused:

UnCommonGrafx
10-21-2004, 08:43 AM
This, my friend, is called love.
Those who have been with LW for a long time feel like an affair has gone on and wonder what all they've been denied because of it.
There are marketeers here that try to take advantage of the above sentiment by suggesting 'options' instead of offering a suggestion for success in this basically FAKE it all world.
Then there are those that have nothing more to do than compare spec sheets and measure themselves by that instead of their level of skill. (It's been hard getting over THAT sentiment! :D )

And it's all about love. Some can't stand that folks appreciate lw, even with all its flaws. They don't get it, but that's the relationship. And the definition of love...

I'm so sappy!

(but I find a little odd in a LW forum people complaining about Jevins´ success with LW over other 3d apps...well, Im not intend to be short-sightned about options, but...) :confused:

P Jespersen
10-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Note that an arbitrary AA passes number doesn't imply a Renderer enhancing but just a "Let the user type the number of the passes instead using the Presets (Low, Medium, High and Extreme)".

You are wrong. :) I'll clue you guys in later.

Peter

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
NewTek

P Jespersen
10-21-2004, 08:57 AM
I'm so sappy!

No your not! :D

That is exactly why this industry is SOOOOOO different from any other that I have worked in.
It's also what makes it fun!

Peter

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
NewTek

ingo
10-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Note that an arbitrary AA passes number doesn't imply a Renderer enhancing but just a "Let the user type the number of the passes instead using the Presets (Low, Medium, High and Extreme)".

You don't need aa settings in Fprime, don't you ;)

Exper
10-21-2004, 12:15 PM
I love Jevin Studios posts, they´re so polemical :)Jevin is great... and funny to debate with!

You are wrong. :) I'll clue you guys in later.

PeterGreat... very happing in beeing wrong... more than wrong... completely wrong!

Hey... this Thread is becoming a jelly bean... I want more and more! :D :D

@ingo: don't I? :o

Ztreem
10-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Hey... this Thread is becoming a jelly bean... I want more and more!

I couldn't agree more! :eek: :D

jevinstudios
10-21-2004, 05:49 PM
And it's all about love. Some can't stand that folks appreciate lw, even with all its flaws. They don't get it, but that's the relationship. And the definition of love...

Yes! And I love all of you almost as much as LW from the bottom of my squishy little heart! It's this stellar community that launches LW way above the fray IMHO. If I didn't love the software itself so much, I'd still use it 'cause of y'all.

Kevin

MooseDog
10-21-2004, 06:20 PM
my thx to jevinstudios for his affirmations and positive experiences. realistic and open-eyed but positive remarks contribute to your success and help us lesser souls :)

and also my thx to pjesperson for making your presence known on these boards almost immediately after coming on board. always an excellent decision to communicate with the company's stakeholders, even informally. altho you understand your hints and ;) 's will only churn us masses into a frenzy :eek: LOL. actually they re-assure me that lw is in excellent hands and exciting changes and progress are soon ahead.

jevinstudios
10-21-2004, 08:42 PM
my thx to jevinstudios for his affirmations and positive experiences. realistic and open-eyed but positive remarks contribute to your success and help us lesser souls

It is I who is the lesser soul, surrounded by the greatness which is the LW Community! I appreciate you guyz more and more everytime I jump on board here.....

Lightwolf
10-22-2004, 03:36 AM

Well, especially if you could use a number of adaptive passes in conjunction with a number full passes (the former to aa rough spots, the latter for DOF and motionblur).
Basically, x adaptive passes per full pass :)

Cheers,
Mike

caesar
10-22-2004, 07:28 AM
Well, especially if you could use a number of adaptive passes in conjunction with a number full passes (the former to aa rough spots, the latter for DOF and motionblur).
Basically, x adaptive passes per full pass :)

Cheers,
Mike

Amen !!!

P Jespersen
10-22-2004, 09:50 AM
my thx to jevinstudios for his affirmations and positive experiences. realistic and open-eyed but positive remarks contribute to your success and help us lesser souls :)

and also my thx to pjesperson for making your presence known on these boards almost immediately after coming on board. always an excellent decision to communicate with the company's stakeholders, even informally. altho you understand your hints and ;) 's will only churn us masses into a frenzy :eek: LOL. actually they re-assure me that lw is in excellent hands and exciting changes and progress are soon ahead.

Thanks MooseDog!
You are right, hints do cause problems sometimes. But I know what it's like to sit there waiting.
After all I've been a LW user since 4.0. :)

Peter

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
NewTek

Exper
10-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Antoher jelly bean... Peter... you're refueling our tanks! :D

jevinstudios
10-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Again, LW saves the day!! Had 4 days to put together a 30 second campaign ad for a New Mexico State Supreme Court Justice, and LW was the tool I used. The client (Bill Richardson, New Mexico's Governor and the head of the DNC in the US, as well as a very high-profile figure in national politics) wanted the look to be similar to "South Park" in style. Using LW, I created a 2D-style animation, and had the spot modeled, textured, rendered and delivered on-time. This was my first time using LW for a 100% 2D style animation, and was a breeze! The final product is really wonderful......

Also, for those interested in a rendering alternative that will port to LW next year, check out Maxwell Render, created by the people at Next Limit who produced Real Flow. This renderer looks quite cool, and is designed for 100% accurate GI & Caustics renders. Can check it out at: http://www.maxwellrender.com

This might give NewTek some inspiration to update LW's native renderer, as well as share some SDK with Worley to beef up FPrime! Competition is the driving force behind innovation, and it looks like this will be a very big competitor for FPrime, if it's as fast as it looks.....

janoverust
10-27-2004, 02:32 AM
WOW! That Maxwell Render looks nice!
I want it! :)
I need accurate GI. Don't we all...?

jevinstudios
10-27-2004, 08:22 AM
WOW! That Maxwell Render looks nice! I want it!

It does look beautiful, doesn't it? The most perfect GI renders on the market, and software application independent, which means it handles and renders scenes from all major apps in the exact same manner, with no variations and consistent quality. Also, it's a command line renderer, so you can render to your heart's content, and still work in your favorite app with no system slow-down, keeping your workstation running with all it's resources.

Next Limit says it'll port to LW, C4D, XSI (already ports to Max & Maya currently) by June of next year when it's officially released to the public. Will retail for $995, less than mental ray standalone (and this app looks even easier and more versatile, giving MR a run for it's $$!).

Hey, NT, can we get some upgrades to our lovely render workhorse in LW by then? I love LW's renderer with all my heart, but this does make me a little jealous......