PDA

View Full Version : ATI Wireframe Textured Crash

Stooch
10-13-2004, 01:13 PM
I dont know if this is a common issue or not but i noticed that on my Sapphire 9700pro whenever i load a geometry heavy model into modeler with textured wireframe enabled, the modeler would cease to respond and it would crash. However when I overclocked my video card with rage 3d tweak to 371/335 the crashing problem went away.

norvman
10-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Don't know if this is the problem but...

I solved a bunch of my Open GL crash problems when I updated my drivers for my ATI Radeon.....

Latest driver version is 6.14.10.6343

Anyway it's worth a check ....

:cool:

cappie
10-15-2004, 04:28 AM
Its about time that ATI slaps some people around there and make them get a better team that writes those drivers..

The main reason I stick with NVIDIA is not performance, but because its a card that never fails me... ATI is better in terms of hardware, but in the end, its the NVIDIA card that outperformes the ATI card on lack of frustration.

Lynx3d
10-15-2004, 09:49 AM
Hm i'm not sure it's really ATI's fault there, because i also had a crash once when changing the view to wireframe texture...
And i'm using a trusty old Geforce2 on this PC.

I don't know what has more bugs in the OpenGL routines, Lightwave or the drivers from nVidia or ATI. Probably it's a tie, and they all love to explain that it's the other one's fault :D

norvman
10-15-2004, 11:24 AM
I have to agree with Lynx3d here....

I have in times past that when it came to problems that were linked with software... (including drivers) there is a tendancy in the industry to past the buck to the other guys..... which frankly only smears the reputation of the company end the end.... cause sooner or later the customer IS going to find out what the problem was in the company rep was too stupid or too lazy to do his/her job and help the customer then that is the companies fault....

So I agree with cappie also.....

first the product has gotta work.... then it's can worry about being better.....

I personally haven't had any of the problems that others seem to have had with ATI cards.... or I certainly would have already switched.... (just luck I guess) I have a new computer system on the drawing board now that I might just give Nivida a try just to see how they stack up.... (I for one have never used them....) (I do have lots of freinds who are Gaming Nuts that swear by them....)

But I have never heard anyone complain about Lightwave compatablitity with the ATI cards.....

perhaps I'm missing out on some things that I don't realize I'm missing out on....

anywayz....

my main comment here is that more often than not customer support sucks from everyone.....
I do have to give NewTek a few kudo's here however ... in that as of the past year or so I feel like they have done a better than average job......
I send them an email asking a question..... I get an answer.... more often than not the right one..... so what ever Newtek has done of late..... has to have been good...

ATI .... well I can't comment on them to much as like I have said I just haven't had too many problems with my ATI stuff...

but if they are as stinky as you say they are I certainly will take that into concideration next purchase.............

:)

Stooch
10-17-2004, 08:32 PM
I am usin the latest drivers.

Also, i love my ati card. Its fast as hell and moves along with some pretty heavy scenes. On top of all of this, my card is overclocked and has a passive heatsink (heatpipe cooler) with no problems at all. I havent seen anything silent from nvidia that comes even close.

Exception
10-18-2004, 02:52 AM
I would recommend you to flash your card to a FireGL, or, if they work for you, use the FreeFireGL drivers. That will increase the stability to no end. ATi Radeon cards are very unstable in OpenGL environments.

norvman
10-18-2004, 10:45 AM
I would recommend you to flash your card to a FireGL, or, if they work for you, use the FreeFireGL drivers. That will increase the stability to no end. ATi Radeon cards are very unstable in OpenGL environments.

I'm not sure what you mean by "flash your card to a FireGL..." is it possable to "flash" a Radeon card to Fire GL?...

you mean purchase a new Fire GL card right?

:confused:

StormSinger
10-21-2004, 02:28 AM
You can use FlashBIOS for a video card (many of them) the same way you can use it to flash the BIOS on a MB. You just need the binary and FlashBIOS... and make a backup of your original BIOS.

Exception
10-21-2004, 03:11 AM
Yes, either that or use the FreeFireGL drivers. read all about it here:

http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=105&pgno=0

norvman
10-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Wow!!! :eek:

Thanks StormSinger
Thanks Exception

great info.... I really appreacheate the heads up on this one...!

:D