PDA

View Full Version : I-m new to LW and MAC...

doncha_magoso
10-12-2004, 09:48 PM
hi there folks...!!!

As you know I'm a newbe at this forums... and also I've been using LW for almost a year... and then recently got my Mac... I used to use LW6 on my old job, but I just quit last month... so...

As I just bought my Mac (an "old" double proccesor G4) I'm wondering if there's something I should know before getting LW8... something like plugins usage, or if my old LW6 scenes and models created on a PC will change in a certain way... or if I won't be avle to use all those free plugins I got from the web and that really really saved me hours of modelling... or... or... stuff like that ... you know...

Also if that old functions i memorized (like "t" for moving or "y" for rotating) are changed or if I can edit those...

thanks for your time guys!!!

Darth Mole
10-13-2004, 04:57 AM
if you have a LOT of freebie plug-ins, you might find only a small selection available on the Mac (check 'em out at www.flay.com). Most of the bigger commerical plugs are cross-platform.

blabberlicious
10-13-2004, 05:45 AM
Sigh....get ready for a heap of frustration - I'm sorry to say :-)

Particularly on G4 Duals - expect very poor open GL performance - particularly in layout. Any type of character animation, with IK Fk rigs etc. will be very sloooow to update - making it a less than pleasant experience.

Modelling sub-patched object becomes very sluggish very quickly - and the trade off of dropping the patch divisions down to 2 is annoying - particularly when I run LW on a 1 gHz PC Laptop with a pissy graphics card - and find it way faster that Mac.

I only say this in case you decide (like I did) to pay out for a 128 Gforce crad in the the hope of improvements.

It made VERY little difference.

Also if you rig: Bone tools are broken - but being fixed (soon) - so don't take it personally when they destroy your model ;-)

Note: Rendering is a separate issue, and G5 perform quite well.

doncha_magoso
10-13-2004, 09:33 PM
wow.... :confused:

i really thought it would be a nice shift of plattform...

someone told me that renders will become "a nice and short trip to the fridge" if I switch to Mac... but also I work with other design software with particulary no restrictions...

.... can I solve part of the problem adding more RAM and a "not that expensive" video card?

which one can you recomend me?

I don't really have enough money...

THNKS FOR POSTING GUYS!!!

claw
10-14-2004, 04:03 AM
The system architecture around the G4 is some what obsolete. But the G4 it self is a good processor, handling 128bits floating-point registers and so one..

But when we're talking about good opengl performance (that you want in Modeler), you may be a bit disappointed. And as far as I can tell it's due to the slow data-bus, it just can't handle all data traffic needed to show thousands of polygons. I found on my G4 (1.2ghz, 100mhz bus, about 800mb / sec thru-put) that working with polygon counts over 30k is super slow..

But for everything else than realtime 3d graphics, the G4 systems are quite good.. For an example, rendering in LW is not so slow. But if you want fast opengl, you should save your money for a G5 system.

eblu
10-14-2004, 07:33 AM
actually, to dispel myths...

the g4 is quite capable of being MUCH faster in LW, Newtek has unfortunately not found it a priority to work towards this goal. The g4 architecture is quite fast with other 3d apps, it could be faster if the Apple went ahead and matured the graphics drivers, added a pro card, etc... But the main bottleneck in Lightwave and modeler is the application itself. Apple put out the g5, which is a brute force approach to acceleration, but Newtek still has to learn how to get speed out of the mac platform.

LW stalls on the processor intensive tasks. a new graphics card, more ram... these things may help a little (at least a gig of ram), but your rendering, your animation, are tied to the processor. And Like I said, Newtek don't get the G4 and aren't interested in getting it.

Now when they re-compile under Xcode, there might be an increase in speed, but thats because of the "standing on the shoulders of giants" effect. And lets face it, LW xcode is a wild card at this time. There is no way of knowing the side effects of moving to a new dev environment until it is done.

Whit
10-14-2004, 08:03 AM
I have a dual processor G4 and I'm quite happy with it. I admit, I don't model city scapes or other items with billions of polygons.

Sometimes I move an object to my Windows machine (which has a faster processor) for renders, but I prefer to do most work on my somewhat slower Mac.

Would I like a G5? Yeah! I'd also like a faster Windows machine, bigger monitors, more hard drive space, and a new car.

--Whit

The_Eye
10-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Plugins. Number one thing you'll notice. Say goodbye to most of yours, maybe 80% of free plugs and 25% of $$$ plugs.

Next would be the opengl. Big difference between my dual G4 and dual G5, and I'm still waiting on my nvidia card for the G5 (come on nvidia, I can't wait anymore). My limited experience on PC shows that a (comparably) crappy PC has better opengl performance then my G4.

Last would be rendertime. The most recent G5 dual 2.5 benchmarks online are pretty good, but the G4 tests are pretty slugish compared to PC.

The xcode optimization has to be WAAAAAY done on the list of priorities at NT. There are still bugs with 8, even after this patch, right? If so, why would anyone be spending any time on xcode? Once everything else is squared away and LW is rockin' again, THEN you might have someone at a meeting at NT casually ask, "so what about those Mac users?"

All of my software is Mac, and I use Apple software. I'm not switching to PC just because of LW. I'm staying Mac in spite of LW. With the Mac getting stronger, the OS improving and rival 3D companies (Luxology, Alias, Maxxon) creating great products for it, NT will have no choice to eventually optimize LW for Mac but as I said earlier, that is low on the list at the moment. It has to be.

Ryhnio
10-17-2004, 06:12 AM
I have a dual 1.42 G4 with 2 gigs of ram. Not only can I edit video, produce DVDS, create my own music.... I can also create 3D content. While the G4 isn't the fastest, its a great start in the 3d world (and a g5 is the ultimate end) I highly recommend FPrime, and any other Worley product. FPrime on my G4 is incredibly fast when being compared to the native renderer.

-Ry

doncha_magoso
10-20-2004, 10:05 PM
just 20 minutes ago someone told me that i can use the same disk(s) to install Lw on both PC or MAC... is it true?

Ryhnio
10-20-2004, 10:11 PM
yes it is true

-ryhnio

doncha_magoso
10-21-2004, 03:01 PM
yes it is true

-ryhnio

WOW!!! didn't know... :p

doncha_magoso
10-21-2004, 03:16 PM
same thing for LW7?

BeeVee
10-22-2004, 01:30 AM
LightWave 7.5 came with two program discs. However, before then, you were limited to your stated choice of platform when you bought LightWave.

B

Nigel Baker
10-22-2004, 06:07 AM
One thing to be aware of with the dual platform install disc is that if you have 7.0 and below the USB dongle will only support your original USB platform ( MAC or PC ) for I think an additional 30 Credits ( EUROS ) you can trade in your old USB Dongle for the new Dual Dongle but you have to send in your old one first and only when they receive it will you then get your new Dual platform Mac & PC USB Dongle. So the wait could eaasly be a week or two depending of the postal system you have.

BeeVee
10-22-2004, 06:31 AM
The cost is not quite right, but the sentiment is. The cost for a dongle upgrade is always listed at http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/price/price_e.html (price in sterling is found by clicking on the "Pounds" link at the top of the page).

B

The_Eye
10-22-2004, 07:03 AM
and of course there are the headaches if you have any 3rd party plug-ins that are tied to the dongle, like Worley's plugs.

The wait plus the plugins issue has kept me from upgrading my dongle.

BeeVee
10-22-2004, 07:24 AM
It's not a problem that takes long to resolve. If you contact your plug-in supplier to tell them you are upgrading your dongle, then they'll contact us to confirm. Doesn't take long.

B

The_Eye
10-22-2004, 07:53 AM
Is there a next-day shipping option? The whole thing should take no more then 3 days, including the 3rd party plugs situation. Personally, even that would be hard for me. I think I'd go through withdraw or something if I couldn't use the app for 3 days.

BeeVee
10-22-2004, 07:57 AM
I don't know where you are based, but a 3-day solution might be hoping for too much, since we are in France and you, presumably, are not. However, we'll ship it back to you the same way you shipped it to us, so if you want to pay for next-day, we will too. Your best bet would be to expect it not to be back in a week and then plan holidays accordingly... :)

B

doncha_magoso
10-24-2004, 08:43 PM
WOW!!

thanks for the info guys....!!!