PDA

View Full Version : State of the Union

mccabejc
10-12-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm a longtime LW user (finally trashed my dusty Amiga a few months ago), but I've been away from LW for awhile. Mostly because I got so frustrated with trying to build human characters (with dynamic hair and clothing, etc.) using the LW tools. I've got LW 7.5 (I think), and I'm wondering if someone could update me on the state of LW in these areas:

Are we still stuck with the Sasquatch solution for hair? Is it any easier? Does it autogenerate hair like that Joe Alter app used to?

Is cloth dynamics working any better than that useless Motion Designer that was so slow and locked up and had all those wierd cloth parameters that nobody understood?

I noticed there is a new hard body dynamics module. Is that working well?

Has Motion Mixer been significantly improved? As I recall that was a pretty slick module, but was pretty convoluted and difficult to really understand.

Whatever happened to "messiah"? As I recall, they kept promising and not delivering for years. Are they still around? And whatever happened to the folks who left Newtek? (Luxology was it?)

Anyway, my real question is "Are people using LW to quickly generate realistic human characters, or is there still a ways to go?"

Hypershade
10-13-2004, 01:10 AM
If you used google you would see that pmg messiah is around as well as luxology. Each have added a program to their shelves with studio for messiah and modo for luxology

Google would also lead you to Worleys site on Sasquatch. By the looks of those renders I think you will like what you see. It might not be as hands on as shave but the results are great

Reading your question I can not tell forsure when you last where using lw, in which case you might want to take a look at all the packages out there. According to the general cg consensus, I think it is fair to say most people would say over the years some programs have surpased lw in many ways

mccabejc
10-13-2004, 01:52 PM
I've been poking around a bit, and noticed that messiah now has an "auto rig" function. Pretty slick. Does LW have that yet?

Yog
10-13-2004, 02:10 PM
In order :
Yes.
No.
No.
A little.
Yes
No
See Hypershade's post.
"Quickly" is a relative term. It's now easier, but not what I'd call quick.

Your second post :
No.