PDA

View Full Version : FPrime / LW question

neilp
10-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Could anybody let me know if FPrime will let me render larger resolution images than the standard LW render engine?
I am an architectural visualiser and often need to print large images for site boards etc. or marketing brochures at 300dpi - Lightwave hangs on most renders so i have to multi render different parts of the scene and composite in photoshop.
Does FPrime overcome this isssue?
I am aware of limited region renders and plug-ins but i would like to render in one hit!
Any help would be appreciated

mindseye
10-12-2004, 08:38 AM
I use fprime for Arch too. It'll write pretty big files.. but I do have problems with it not being able to render large radiosity renders. It gives me a "not enough memory" error. I have a gig of ram. So I asked Worley about it and they said it is a problem with LW's way of righting the files. They didn't seam to think that more ram would fix the problem. Newtek needs to get it together and bring some parts of LW into this century. :mad: The guys at Worley were going to try to work with Newtek on this...but said they would create a way around it if they had too. Anyway.... I've been able to do my standare res...3200x2400px. ... at least most of the time.

nemac4
10-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Could anybody let me know if FPrime will let me render larger resolution images than the standard LW render engine?
I am an architectural visualiser and often need to print large images for site boards etc. or marketing brochures at 300dpi - Lightwave hangs on most renders so i have to multi render different parts of the scene and composite in photoshop.
Does FPrime overcome this isssue?
I am aware of limited region renders and plug-ins but i would like to render in one hit!
Any help would be appreciated
Lightwave will handle resolutions up to 16,000 x 16000 which equates to about 53 inches at 300dpi.
The biggest problem with rendering at ultra high resolutions is ram. Make sure you have plenty. At least 2GB. You can also increase your render passes to save a few precious megabytes or render with screamernet to avoid loading the LW interface.
I've used fprime to render images at 6000x3500 before but I believe it actually will use more ram due to LW loading the scene and interface as well and fprime seems to render in one pass because you can stop the render and have a "finished" image at anytime. But man Oh man is it fast :D

You also may want to check out this plug if you render with screamernet:

http://www.frenchwave.org/SplitRender/#US

wacom
10-12-2004, 09:10 AM
I think it would be worth your time to render at 1/4 or half that resolution and then use one of those excepetional standalone or semi expensive fractal enlarger programs. Some of them claime that you can blow something up well beyond 400% with no loss of detail. This would save you a lot of time and money no mater what you use...

Earl
10-12-2004, 09:36 AM
I think it would be worth your time to render at 1/4 or half that resolution and then use one of those excepetional standalone or semi expensive fractal enlarger programs. Some of them claime that you can blow something up well beyond 400% with no loss of detail. This would save you a lot of time and money no mater what you use...

Eh, I've tried a couple of them (including S-Spline) and although they are neat and usually produce acceptable results in a crunch, I would never use them for final output unless there was no other choice. The quality wouldn't touch a native LW render.

lunarcamel
10-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Most large format print work isn't even 300dpi. What are you all printing that needs to be that big? :)

lardbros
10-12-2004, 12:57 PM
No... i've ALWAYS been told to render at 300dpi for print, and it is too (i say too, but it can never be too high) high for normal and large print work. I think most people say 300dpi just to be safe, but i reckon 200 is easily enough for most stuff surely!!

neilp
10-12-2004, 01:51 PM
I Normally render at A3 300dpi as this covers double page spread print. I then interpolate to site board size, generally at 100 - 150dpi at full size. I find the A3 300dpi render generally interpolates well to most print requirements and saves re-rendering and duplicating post process work.
Okay, so what's the deal then?
My polygon budgets are being broken and thus LW gives me memory error messages when rendering (I have 2gb ram), I was hoping for a quick fix with FPrime - not to be though!
I think i'll purchase FPrime for workflow and rendering regardless.
Hopefully Newtek will sort LW's short falls in the rendering size department. :rolleyes:
Any other print res feedback would be cool

nemac4
10-12-2004, 04:12 PM
What is the error message?
and does it render OK at lower resolutions?

theo
10-12-2004, 07:17 PM
but i reckon 200 is easily enough for most stuff surely!!

Almost 99% of the large format printing (prints from 24" x 24" on up to 8' x 10' and beyond) I do is at 150 dpi unless it is for something like a brocure or an illustration in which case the overall print size is pretty small compared to large format.

It seems to me that it is pretty easy to get a 300 dpi render for print in a magazine or brochure out of Lightwave without even using FPrime. I personally feel FPRime is over-rated anyways.

neilp
10-13-2004, 02:05 AM
Error message attached.
Yes, the image will render at lower resolution and/or with less AA.

nemac4
10-13-2004, 12:08 PM
I did a test with fprime at 16000x16000 and it seemed to work fine in the preview renders however when trying to do a final fprime render,.. I didn't have enough ram (2GB) to save the file after processing.
Rendering in LW at anything over 8000x4500 caused an image saving error however at hdtv rez at 400% (7680x4320) worked fine with Enhanced High AA, Dof =On, 6 segments and 17 passes with 256 MB of Segment memory.

My scene info:
All raytracing features are on.

So I guess it all comes down to Ram. :(