PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

Spud
04-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Hi
I'am a beginner trying to get past step one of a tutorial.I have created a disk to make a cylinder with twelve sides & three segments.Now I'am asked to select the end polygons & knife them into bite size pieces.I dont know if I'am cutting the right way because when I hit the tab button it does'nt turn out the same way as the picture which has nice curved edges.
Spud

Matt
04-07-2003, 02:44 AM
hmmmm, if you have a cylinder with 12 sides that means the top & bottom
will be two polygons with 12 vertices.

Hitting Tab turns on Sub-Patches which only work with polygons with 3 or 4
vertices.

If it's online can you point us to the tutorial?

Spud
04-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Yes thats what the error message said. http://www.stickman.de/content/stuff/process/tutorials/model_1_01.htm[/URL]

Rory_L
04-07-2003, 03:52 AM
Like the tut says, you`re knifing to make all the model`s polys tris or quads, so you need to knife from existing points to points across the top and bottom discs, then with nothing selected do a merge points with a user defined distance just a bit smaller than your narrowest poly. This will glue together any spare points your knifing created by accident.

After that just select and kill any one or two point polys and then if you hit w and check your stats and see only tri and quad polys listed, you should be fine!

Cheers,

R

Spud
04-07-2003, 05:52 PM
Thankyou, I've got the shape I wanted now but how do I get rid of the cage around it.

Spud

BeeVee
04-08-2003, 06:07 AM
The cage is part of the display options settings. If you want to get rid of it and the guides, hit d, make sure your Top Right window is set to Indepent Visibility and turn those items off.

B