PDA

View Full Version : Surf Girl

Lamont
10-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Mucking around with Unreal 2k4, and decided to model a mid-range poly character while taking a break from.. errr... modeling :D. I think my greatest feat for this one would be the hands and feet. because I shy away from modeling them most of the time.

I used my friends face for reference.

I would like to make her surf a wave for a screensaver or something. But I don't have the skills to code one up ;). Need to convert her hair from Sas to polys though.

conehead
10-12-2004, 05:01 AM
hey did you use normal mapping or is this a subdivision object?

Lamont
10-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Nah, just straight poly's no sub-d's. But when I made her, I made it sub-d friendly. No normal maps... but some should be applied to the clothing and wet-suit.

turbo
10-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Mid range polys! How fun! She's a cutie. :)

kwills256
10-28-2004, 07:05 AM
her hands look a littel flat, but I'm not sure why. It might be the angle. There is something weird going on with her hips, and where the crotch is located in the bottom of the wet suit. I like her feet, and her face though. Looking foward to seeing what you do for her hair. :)

jasonwestmas
10-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Hi Lamont, Nice Model. If you want some advice you need some muscle definition in the shoulder and armpit area. Everything else is pretty darn accurate!

Do you have a way of getting a LW scene into Unreal, I'm stuck.

Lamont
10-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Thanks. My favorite part of the model would really have to be the feet because it's my first time ever modeling them :)

You can import LWO models right into Unreal 2k3 and 2k4.

First import the textures (*.tga and *.dds). Then import the model. But make sure your surface is the same name as the actual image file ie "brick.tga".

It is a good idea to make all the complex geometry (statues, fans, tv's... ) in LW and the basic level structure in UnrealED since it knows how to deal with the geometry.

jasonwestmas
10-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Have you ever exported a biped animation using LW and a .psk exporter? I'm trying to figure out how to do this with Deep Exploration. It has a .psk exporter.
Maybe if the bones were parented in a certain order. I guess I could try importing a Unreal model into Lightwave and then import/ export from DE based on that example.

Thanks for your help Lamont!!

Jason

Lamont
10-31-2004, 01:07 PM
I've gotten a character to export correctly. Are you following the guide for export? It's pretty strict.

jasonwestmas
11-01-2004, 09:21 AM
I don't have any documentation on Ureal characters with Lightwave. :( I can figure out the bone structure because I have some UR2003 character examples in .max (Char. Studio) format but after that I'm pretty lost because there isn't an Actor X plugin for LW, or is there. Do I have to put nulls (similar to max dummies) at the end of the bones for export? I just need a point in the right direction. Thanks man.

Jason

fortress
11-01-2004, 11:08 PM
start here it is the only exporter that i know of there is someone wrighting a mac ver from what i hear

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mbristol/

Caveboy
11-17-2004, 05:32 PM
You can import LWO models right into Unreal 2k3 and 2k4.

First import the textures (*.tga and *.dds). Then import the model. But make sure your surface is the same name as the actual image file ie "brick.tga".

It is a good idea to make all the complex geometry (statues, fans, tv's... ) in LW and the basic level structure in UnrealED since it knows how to deal with the geometry.

Funny, I tried importing with no luck. I made the cube, assigned UVs, assigned a new surface, saved the model, but could not import it.

I tried to create a new package and group during the static mesh import, and it didnt work. Do I have to do something special to create a new package? I also did not see the batch option in unreal2k3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lamont
11-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Oh, did you triple the geometry before export? Do that too.

Caveboy
11-17-2004, 06:13 PM
I tripled before I saved it.

I loaded unrealed and the texture loaded fine. I was not able to load the object. I saved it as a lwo.

So in unreal, the browser does not "see" the LWO format file. I have to type in the name of the file. And also the name of the package and group. Should I place the files LWO files in the new directories first?

They are originiating from LW8 content subfolder that i made. Should I save it into the proper folder structure (and create new folders) that arenot there now?

Confused.

Lamont
11-17-2004, 06:20 PM
That's strange. I don't have LW here at work, so I'll have to give it a go tonight/tomorrow morning.

You said you can't see the files when you load them up? Are they to scale? In LW every 16m= 1 Foot in UnrealEd.

So if you model something to scale, it will not show up.

Caveboy
11-17-2004, 06:42 PM
would it matter if I am using Unreal2. This came with unreal the awakening.

The editor says unreal II on the splash page and is dated up to 2003.

Sorry to be a pest.

Lamont
11-17-2004, 06:45 PM
I doubt it. Give it a shot. Because if you made a default cube at 1m, it would had never shown up. So make a 96m cube, triple it and see if it shows up.

Caveboy
11-17-2004, 06:59 PM
I made it bigger (100m) and it still does not load.

I don't see it in the editor nor do I see the new package or group I created. It just does not load.

Does it matter that I cannot see it by default in Unreal's browser? I have to type in cube.lwo manually in the filename because i cannot see it and cannot click on the file name.

Hmmmmmm

Lamont
11-17-2004, 07:59 PM
This is Unreal... I do not know then. I know of only the Editor for Unreal 2k3 and 2k4.