PDA

View Full Version : Considering LW; is it a good package?

snickelfritz
04-06-2003, 10:38 PM
I've been using Infini-D for 6 years, and have decided I need something a bit more advanced.
Is LW a good choice for OSX?
Any major problems or concerns on the Mac?

The machines I have are:
1ghz G4/OSX(10.2.4)/768MB
AthlonXP 1900/WinXP Pro SP1/512MB

Which platform would be the better choice for this software? (I prefer to work on the Mac if there's no problems)

cheers,
snick

Darth Mole
04-07-2003, 01:12 AM
The latest verison of LW comes with a 'duo dongle' so you could install and run it on both machines (swapping the USB dongle between sessions).

Despite some of the comments and concerns on this board, LW is a good, solid 3D package. And moving from Infini-D (which I used for a year or two), will feel like someone removing a strait jacket! Just make sure to jump in at v7.5.

LW offers a different way of working to Infini-D, but I picked it up quickly, and it's a damn sight easier than the likes of Maya or Cinema.

Your Mac will run LW okay, but the final render may not be so nippy; a dual-processor machine is a better bet. Also, if you can afford more RAM, fill it up!

snickelfritz
04-07-2003, 03:48 AM
Thanks Darth,

I'm starting to wish I had sprung for the DP, but I'm pretty happy with this machine after working all those years on my pokey 7600.
I'll go ahead and add a couple more DIMMs.

loebek
04-07-2003, 04:27 AM
LW is it a good package?

NO! LW is NOT a good package....
Its a "kick your butt" package!

the best thing I like about LW is the great learning-curve, GUI und the good community.

cu
loebek

snickelfritz
04-07-2003, 04:58 AM
Now this is the kind feedback i like to hear before dropping big bux on a program!
Thanks guys.

BTW, This community does seem very friendly and helpful; I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time here in the near future. :)

Johnny
04-07-2003, 07:47 AM
I came to LW from another 3D package..before I selected LW, I looked critically at render quality of the other 3D apps available for Mac.

IMO, there is no contest between the render quality of Lightwave and that of other packages, regardless of price. Also, I'd used Cinema and found its interface to confusing and needlessly inefficient. Even tho it's fast, Cinema always seems to give that plastic look.

there are issues, as with any software, but I find that what LW enables me to do is more than worth the trouble.

J

snickelfritz
04-07-2003, 12:17 PM
I know what you mean about software generally almost always having some type of problem.
It's nice to hear that users are satisfied with the rendering output of LW, and from the projects I've seen, I can understand why!

cheers

toby
04-07-2003, 01:06 PM
LW is just the most bitchin' app I've ever used.

3DSMax needs dozens of plug-ins, poor renders and cost $5k, Maya is excellent, but requires expertise in every aspect, including programming, just to use it. Many houses like Digital Domain use it only for animating characters, and then render in Lightwave.