10-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know of a piece of software, (ideally Freeware),
which will let me create an animated GIF using the alpha channel
of a 32-bit image for the transparency?

-Colkai

toby
10-10-2004, 05:42 PM
There's ImageReady from Adobe - not free of course - and there used to be one called 'gif-builder' a few years ago

Silkrooster
10-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Most Gif software I have seen so far do not use alpha channels or masks. They generally use color replacement for transparency. It would be nice to see a way to convert masks or alpha channels to color transparancy.
Silk

colkai
10-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Well, I've managed to get a GIF out of Aura DV but the mess around the edges is awful. I've tried rendering at high res and reducing and also rendering at the required res, both end up with a messy black outline. I did try to run a dmeo of ULeads GI animator, but it just crashes out on load. The result from Animation workshop trial was also less than stellar.

Is there any way to get nice clean edges from a transaprent GIF or is this just oine of those 'Gotchas' that you have to live with?
It would be nice if I could get a nice clean edge, or at least, clean-ish.
It's for a web-page logo and I'm loath to give out the result I have at present to the guy whose asked for it.
Any advice?

toby
10-13-2004, 04:40 PM
The color of the GIF's matte has to be the same as the color of the web-page. There's no 'percentage' of transparency with GIFs, so no clean edges.

adrian
10-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Ulead GIF animator

www.ulead.com

Adrian.

Silkrooster
10-13-2004, 06:06 PM
The color of the GIF's matte has to be the same as the color of the web-page. There's no 'percentage' of transparency with GIFs, so no clean edges.
Well yes and no. If you have a gif program that can use the magic wand to select the background color, you can increase the wand range. This will place a new background color in this area giving you a tighter fit around your object.
Silk

colkai
10-14-2004, 03:13 AM
Ulead GIF animator

www.ulead.com

Adrian.
As I mentioned above, I have tried to run a demo of this, but it crashes as soon as it gets to loading the video I/O so never actually gets to running :(

Frustrating to say the least, epsecially as they guy is willing to pay me for the work once I deliver. Seeing as this is the first time I'll be doing anything for money- I really would like to deliver something better than I currently have.
Dammit - why can't LW output an animation as a GIF - it already knows all about the alpha channels! ;)
Actually - I wonder if there is a reason it doesn't? Surely it must be possible?

adrian
10-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Oops, sorry - didn't see that. Actually now you mention it, I've had that problem in the past as well. Did you get on to their technical support (I know you've only got the demo version but they still might help you out especially if there's a bug in their software).

Sorry, don't know what else to suggest :-(

Adrian.

colkai
10-14-2004, 12:51 PM
S,okay - just gotta keep pluggin away :)

toby
10-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Well yes and no. If you have a gif program that can use the magic wand to select the background color, you can increase the wand range. This will place a new background color in this area giving you a tighter fit around your object.
Silk

Yes, that's a technique to make it look like there's a soft edge, but the outside edge still has to be the same color as the background, correct?

Silkrooster
10-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Yes your correct, that is why I said that the magic wand would replace the surrounding colors with one color you choose. Where this really helps is when the background is a soft gradient. Instead of selecting one color, you choose all the shades of that color and replace it with one solid color.
Oh, and one more thing the color you use for the background can be any color of your choice, it does not have to to the same as a web page. If you have a gif image that shows a certain background color and the background color does not change when you change the web page, then that image was not correctly set up with a transparent background.
Silk