PDA

View Full Version : Darn DVD drive just melted my Carnera DVD!

Adrian Lopez
10-09-2004, 08:02 PM
I left my copy of Carnera's Character Modeling Tutorial DVD in my computer's DVD drive and the **** thing melted a little spot on the disc so that it now has a bump on it and part of the disc surface has developed an opaque film of who knows what. Fifty dollars down the drain and I'll probably have to get a new drive as well! Grrrrrrr!!!!!

Has your DVD drive ever melted one of your discs? I thought LiteOn was a good brand of DVD drive... go figure.

Karmacop
10-09-2004, 11:44 PM
If you got yuor dvddrive from somewhere local you should take the drive back with the dvd and show them what it's done and ask for a different brand of dvd player, although an exchange would be good too I guess (though I've never heard of this happening).

Then talk to Carnera and tell them what happened. You paid for the right to view the dvd, not for the dvd, so they should be happy to exchange the dvd for one that hasn't been melted if you send yours back ... and maybe you'll have to pay a bit.

adrian
10-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Well I've never heard of this happening before... bad luck :(

Adrian.

Adrian Lopez
10-10-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm sure the drive is out of warranty but I will contact Carnera to see what they can do. Hopefully I won't have to pay 50 dollars all over again for another copy of the DVD.

Thanks.

Jeff_G
10-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Most likely a defect with the disc itself.

Adrian Lopez
10-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Most likely a defect with the disc itself.There was nothing wrong with the disc before this happened. The fact that the DVD drive doesn't work anymore leads me to believe that drive failure was the cause and the disc becoming damaged was the side-effect.

Sastira
10-11-2004, 07:25 PM
It sounds to me like the drive stopped spinning the disc, but didn't turn off the laser.. the prolonged exposure to the laser caused the damage.

This might be a fluke, or it might be a defect in the product itself. I suggest you contact the manufacturers and report this, just in case.

Jeff_G
10-13-2004, 06:42 AM
If the DVD drive is dead too, then you are probably right that the drive is at fault.

Sometimes discs aren't pressed properly and the substrate can bubble when the laser hits it, but that wouldn't cause the DVD drive to break.