PDA

View Full Version : Layout Calcs & Renders use 50% CPU

TripD
10-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Hi all.

Can anyone explain what I can do to get Layout to use more CPU than just 50% while it does it's thinking. It seems like such a waste that it only uses half of it while the idle process gets the rest.

TIA

P.S. Running P4 3 gigahertz WinXP Lightwave 8.01 (single processor)

Macet01
10-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Have you tried to up the threads in Lightwave? I do believe that the processor that you have supports multithreading. I wouldn't know for sure, I am plugging away on a two year old computer that is just about as slow as snot. :D

Draven
10-27-2004, 04:28 PM
You're running Lightwave on a system with hyperthreading enabled. To use more than one thread for rendering, turn them up to two in render options... but this may not accelerate your renders any, as hyperthreading isn't always faster. LW keeps the processor pretty busy so by trying to force it to use HT you're just making sure that both threads of the same processor are kept busy... thuse both threads end up waiting on the other one and the hyperthreaded render is actually slower than if it were a single thread. Also, hyperthreading pretty much doubles your cache and front-side bus usage...

TripD
10-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Macet01 and Draven,

Thanks for the tips. I had been playing with those settings a while ago, and just forgot about it. I had left the hyperthreading option at 4 for some time without paying much mind. After reading your posts I set it to 2 and now atleast Lightwave seems to want to use more cpu when rendering. Nice.....
Thanks for the help!

Alan