PDA

View Full Version : LW+ZBrush+MacOSX??

calico
10-09-2004, 08:14 AM
does anybody use ZBrush with LW on Mac?
if yes, can you tell me if import/export is working well?
do i need extra plug-ins and if yes, is it available for Mac?

thanks a lot

[i do know that if i spend some time on the web, i'd find the answer.
i'm in the middle of production and web time is not an option.]

jasonwestmas
10-10-2004, 08:18 PM
So far everything works near perfect with Zbrush2 and LW 7.5d. For LW8.1 you may have to get a fix for the Obj importer. You will need this if you want to do all your modeling and or morph maps in Zbrush and then import your model into LW. Do a forum search, there should be a thread on this subject already.

Darth Mole
10-12-2004, 09:57 AM
I saw somewhere that PC users have a plug-in for importing 16-bit TIFF files for displacement maps - is there a version for the Mac? Or do you just not need it?

ColinCohen
10-12-2004, 10:17 AM
You will need this if you want to do all your modeling and or morph maps in Zbrush and then import your model into LW.

I'm a little unsure about the ZBrush/LW workflow in terms of morphs. Are you saying that you can do your morphs in ZBrush, import the model into LW, and use the ZBrush-generated morphs in MorphMixer?

The_Eye
10-12-2004, 11:14 AM
I'm fuzzy on this whole thing, but there are 2 plugs you need to use normal maps from ZBrush. One is available for Mac and one isn't. I think the 16bit tiff one isn't.
You need both plugs, just like the PC users.

HenkDawson
10-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Yes you do need the 16 bit loader to get 16 bit files in. Otherwise they come in as 8 bit files.

Does anyone know if someone is working on a plugin that will load 16 bit files on a Mac?

gatz
10-14-2004, 06:30 AM
The developer of the 16 Bit Import is willing to work on a MAC version. But apparently LW on the MAC is missing some library necessary. I don't know whether it's a system level library or something specific to LW. Newtek is mum. I've queried. You can query. Lets make lots of threads...

rg

Darth Mole
10-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Since it's only a displacement map, does it mater too much it it's only 8-bit? Or does it just not work at all...?

mcarrel
10-15-2004, 01:49 PM
I've tried some Zbrush sample displacement maps in Mac LW and the difference in bit levels does seem to make a difference. The displacement maps work in Mac LW as 8bit files, but the quality of the detail provided is less than the same samples done in LW on the PC (using the full 16 bits). HTH.

kfinla
10-17-2004, 08:22 PM
I can't help but contribute to this thread. I've been harping this need for a MAC, 16 bit tiff importer since about May when Zbrush 2 was first promised to be around the corner for OSX. The specific problem i was told by Lynx 3d was, the need for a LibTiff library.

I have been told that through osx's Quicktime support, that simply adding a "t" and making the file a .tiff instead of just .tif changes how LW sees the file. The "tests" i did back in the summer, could probably be refined more. The demo sword is actually from just a 512x512 * bit bmp displacement file. The demo head is a 16bit tiff. which LW (7.5) is saying is 32bits, 2k x 2k. These r renders with Frpime previewer. I dont recall if they were with normal displacer 1.2 or less. Im gonna do more tests, not that finally Z2 is out for OSX. Hopefully this issue finaly is properly dealt with.

If i recall, Lynx 3d was pretty sure from my images of the head that though LW says 32-bit, its clipping at 8 Bpc. 8 bits = 0-255 values 16 bits = 0-32767. Thats alot more detail!

kfinla
10-17-2004, 08:51 PM
The 2nd problem, is that LW's native renderer dosent do , micro or sub-poly displayments. So details less than a pixel dont show up. And dosent intuitively testilate the geometry to match the details of the displacement map. So the only real workflow is to use sub-d surfaces and have the object render at approx. a level 20 sub-d level. Or whatever depending on your cage to match the amount of polys in zbrush so 400K - 4 million.

Hopefully, Newtek, or Worley can offer some improvemnt in theres of the renderer.

strongarm27
10-18-2004, 12:58 PM
I have done a few of these conversions from zbrush on the pc to mac lightwave. I couldn't
waite so I bought the pc version of zbrush 2. You do loose some detail but I have found
that its more important that your displacement map be generated at higher polygon
levels in zbrush. I have a alien I am working on that is in the work in progress forum.
He was generated at a level higher than the export from lightwave 7.5d(mac). I found
that for what ever reason if you have a model that is say only 1000 polys sent into zbrush
you get a really soft displacement map that doesn't have much detail in it. This is working
with mesh density of about a million polys in zbrush. I usually export one level up
witch is still only about 3000 polys but gives much better displacement results with
8bit tiff's in lightwave. I can post examples of the difference if anyone wants to see
in this thread or you can see my results in the wip forum. I have tried the background
to morph and it seems to screw up the order so you can't use zbrush to create morph
targets unless some one ports one of the plugins that reorders points to the mac
for this purpose. I think there are two on the pc right now.

strongarm

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=28348

strongarm27
10-18-2004, 06:08 PM
O.K. I retested the morph targets and you can do them without needing a plugin to
fix the point order but some how I did destroy my point order in the head I have the
morph targets on and that one becomes scrambled but I reimported the head mesh and
a morph target from zbrush and it worked fine. I must have copied some geometry into
the layer the head was in. that will cause the point order to become scrambled. It works
fine disregard that part of my last post.

strongarm

HenkDawson
10-20-2004, 11:37 PM
Okay here's what I've learned - It's good news.

adding the extra "f" on the .tif allows Mac Lightwave to see a 16bit tiff.

Also, the displacement looks better the higher the subdiv level i.e. 40 looks better than 20 which looks better than 10. However, 10 looks okay when inhanced with a bumpmap - use the same map that is used for the displacement

Darth Mole
10-21-2004, 01:26 AM
I'm just about to get Z-Brush 2 and did a few of the same tests. Once I'd moved over to Lynx's NormalDisplacement (and downgraded to LW7.5's OBJ importer) , things worked fine. I agree: LW may not be up to sub-pixel displacements, but by the time you've added bump-mapping and some nice textures (or a normal map), I think you're most of the way there. Frankly, I don't need to make anything more precise than that!

Most of the test examples - especially the AUV model - work really well. Be good if Z-Brush owners could post some Z-B2+LW8 WIPs somewhere... plus any tips and tricks.

strongarm27
10-21-2004, 03:48 AM
Darth check out my link in the post above. This was done using zbrush 2 displacements
and rendered with fprime. Its good to know they work together but some times you
need to reorder the fprime plugin to get it to update the displacemnt (move it up or down in the displacement list). I guess that would be a small trick. Go for it! Its the best money I have spent in a long while. Well worth more than they are asking. The people
at zbrush centeral are very nice and helpful. They have a stronge world following.
many countries represented.

strongarm27

Darth Mole
10-21-2004, 04:29 AM
I'd already seen your LGM - bloody impressive! I hope I can create stuff up to that standard...

jasonwestmas
10-21-2004, 07:13 AM
I agree with Darth Mole. If you're not trying to be hyper-real X 10 then this Displacement/ Normal/Bump/ UV painting technique can give you more than you could ever need. Especially when you subdivide your render output 40 times. Jeeze at that level you'd be lucky to render a 30 second animation in a week with one computer. Of course this may be an exaggeration.

I want to thank all of you for your ZBrush/Lightwave examples. I myself really appreciate the support and information.

Jason

calico
10-21-2004, 08:52 AM
thanks guys, i appreciate your help.

[i'll wait some more]

kfinla
10-21-2004, 11:01 AM
The way I look at is i'd rather be limited by my abilites than my tools. I think MAC users should atleast have the equivalent tools as the PC LW's.

I personally want a 16-bit importer and performance of other rendering engines. I agree there are work arounds, but why settle? And be happy with cheats. I like LW but when every other 3d package (poser even) handles displacements in a superior way i think its time to ask for improvement, not be happy falling farther behind.

strongarm27
10-21-2004, 12:42 PM
One thing to be clear on is that lightwave doesn't support 16bit tifs mac or pc.
Its a third party plugin that makes it possable to load them and make them work on
the pc. You can do realisim, and dam fine detail with 8bit gray scale just make them
large. Lightwave isn't really falling behind nor is the mac. This is cutting edge stuff and
very few render engines handle it well or don't need tricks and fiddling to get it right.
Look at zbrush centeral and you will see all kinds of different results with different rendering engines
with the same sample models. It takes some fiddling for everyone no matter what
package you work on. Be glad the displacement plugin was made available for the
mac because without that we are dead in the water. The one that comes with
lightwave is worthless. The community comes through and for free.

strongarm27

strongarm27
10-21-2004, 01:07 PM
I agree with Darth Mole. If you're not trying to be hyper-real X 10 then this Displacement/ Normal/Bump/ UV painting technique can give you more than you could ever need. Especially when you subdivide your render output 40 times. Jeeze at that level you'd be lucky to render a 30 second animation in a week with one computer. Of course this may be an exaggeration.

I want to thank all of you for your ZBrush/Lightwave examples. I myself really appreciate the support and information.

Jason

Hay Jason you really only need to sudivide to about the level that equals the polygons
in the original model in zbrush. In the model preference tab under subdivision level it tells
you exactly how many poly you are at. I have never needed to go beyond 15 to get
very good results. Granted the tesilation is about 800,000 to a million but still well
within what a g5 can handle plus you only need that at rending time so everything works
really fast when moving your low poly sub-d models. It's a really great work flow.
Fprime is not as much fun as you need the model to be in the real time window at
that level to see fprime work but then again thats not needed if your just previewing.
I cant stess enough how great these two packages work together. I wouldn't try to
model the detail that zbrush makes possable any other way.

strongarm27

The_Eye
10-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Amusing how "Lightwave isn't really falling behind" while "[the displacement plugin] that comes with lightwave is worthless". hmmm

Maybe that's at the heart of most Mac LW grievances. Native LW stumbles from time to time and then a workaround must be made. Maybe that workaround is a plugin by some ingenious user in the community. That user is 99.9% of the time a PC user; thus, the workaround is PC only leaving the Mac users to pray for Brak to come save the day or NT to incorporate the plug into the next update or point release. and on, and on, and on...

jasonwestmas
10-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Truth is, I am happy with the way Zbrush exports look in Lightwave. When it gets better then more power to you all! I have no reason to complain really seeing as I do more game stuff than anything. If I work on a hyper realistic film like LOTR then I would need a lot more than just a core package anyway.

Thanks for the tips Strongarm.

strongarm27
10-21-2004, 01:44 PM
I agree lightwave at this point is stronger because of the community then the development.
Everything I wanted in 8 was designed by the community and put back
into lightwave. It wasn't designed by newtek. the plugins I love all come from outside
the ones I hate are original equipment. My statement on not falling behind is base on
the fact that many rendering engines are having problems with displacement maps and
need tweeking to get good results. I fear for newtek and my investment based on the
fact that manny of the guys who made 6-7.5 witch is basiclyl 8 work some place else now(luxology).
If it wasn't for the community we wouldn't even have 8 yet because there wouldn't have
been anything in it. I was just trying to stay positive because the work flow does work
with zbrush. I am more excited by zbrush2 and fprime than I ever was about lightwave

strongarm27

jasonwestmas
10-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Amusing how "Lightwave isn't really falling behind" while "[the displacement plugin] that comes with lightwave is worthless". hmmm

Maybe that's at the heart of most Mac LW grievances. Native LW stumbles from time to time and then a workaround must be made. Maybe that workaround is a plugin by some ingenious user in the community. That user is 99.9% of the time a PC user; thus, the workaround is PC only leaving the Mac users to pray for Brak to come save the day or NT to incorporate the plug into the next update or point release. and on, and on, and on...

I'm not going to argue that one. You're right on about the Macintosh support, it's really lame on 'cutting edge' tech. Esp. with Lightwave. However, this level of technology is still cutting edge to the public isn't it? How long has Maya and Max been able to import a 16bit displacement with subpixel rendering anyway? Two years, one year? That's the question. So we're in a little rut, maybe some should get an application more cutting edge to suit thier taste. It's only money. It just depends on your perspective.

kfinla
10-22-2004, 07:21 AM
Your dead on Eye.

BTW, theres a push in the Zbrush forums to get Zbrush spitting out float or 32-bit tiffs. Specifically by some weta artists who were working with pixologic closely before Z2 was even released to PC.

The main reason is to allow ppl not to have to break up there models if they want to highly detail there charactres, where a couple million polys could just be spent on the face alone. And you run into UV issues with textures, and displacement maps lining up and being of equal scale.

As far as I am aware LW dies at about 4 million polys.

The_Eye
10-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Money. Yes. Every problem pretty much boils down to that, right?

Well I'm spending some time researching other 3D apps and making my checklist of pros and cons. I think I'd spend money on a new app rather then a PC to gain access to the plethora of LW plugs available. Which one? Still researching.

I like LW's modeler. With the exception of Modo (which let's face it, is what Modeler 8 was supposed to be) I don't feel comfortable with any other modeler. Zbrush's modeling is too strange for me. Everyone else's just doesn't feel intuitive enough, despite all the pretty buttons showing things spin and move (I guess they assume modeler's are illiterate).

Ok, I'm wandering off the point. Here's a prediction - Mac LW will have a 16 bit tiff importer soon after PC LW (and every other 3d app, regardless of platform) will have a 32 bit tiff importer.

Oh yes, I have to add that I share strongarm's fears. Everything he said in his last post is true and my upgrade money basically went to NT who then used it to aquire the various plugs out there like Ortho bones and the dopesheet from the community over a year's time and then handed me back my LW with these new additions (but with teh added pleasure of instability and bugs that weren't there in 7.5).
I think it goes beyond a fear for your investment. I think it's a fear for how I'm going to work and compete in the future. Will this app continue to allow me to pay the rent and eat or should I consider alternative tools? Very troubling.

kfinla
10-22-2004, 07:55 AM
Modo is very interesting. specifically cuz its (other than Z2's major rewrite for mac) the first 3d app developed from scratch to work in OSX, not an after thought or port from PC. Plus all the origional mac ppl that left newtek r there.

Also the Fprime-ish renderer that has rendering 1.18 billion polys of dancing hippos is pretty crazy. Despite it being instanced geomtry, it was with GI so theres still shadow etc interaction and was a 37 second test i believe.

The_Eye
10-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Also the Fprime-ish renderer...

I'm sorry, I'm not following what you are referring to.

kfinla
10-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Nexus - which is arguably the name of the animation/rendering module after modo. It was shown behind closed doors after modo the modeler module was officially released. Fprime i assume you know is worley labs real-time GI rendering engine for LW.

kfinla
10-22-2004, 08:23 AM
anyways this is off topic. WE NEED A 16-BIT Tiff importer for MAC WE NEED A 16-BIT Tiff importer for MAC!

If it could go one step further and do float tiff, well cooler still. The native LW renderer is 128-bit, but im not sure if currently the render engine could use that data.

I seem to look to worley to provide what users want. as far as solving the importing, and displacement limitations in LW. hopefully the new SDK will allow 3rd party ppl to do what NT hasnt or isnt.

jasonwestmas
10-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Ok, I'm wandering off the point. Here's a prediction - Mac LW will have a 16 bit tiff importer soon after PC LW (and every other 3d app, regardless of platform) will have a 32 bit tiff importer.

Oh yes, I have to add that I share strongarm's fears. Everything he said in his last post is true and my upgrade money basically went to NT who then used it to aquire the various plugs out there like Ortho bones and the dopesheet from the community over a year's time and then handed me back my LW with these new additions (but with teh added pleasure of instability and bugs that weren't there in 7.5).
I think it goes beyond a fear for your investment. I think it's a fear for how I'm going to work and compete in the future. Will this app continue to allow me to pay the rent and eat or should I consider alternative tools? Very troubling.

Yeah, I understand now why you'd be a little troubled after 8 came out. After seeing some demos at Siggraph I personally don't see any reason to get it except out of the curiosity to improve my workflow. Of course I am a young 3D artist yet. I hope you find something that suits your future endeavors.

Thanks for your insight,

Jason

kfinla
10-23-2004, 07:30 PM
To explain more about the push for zbrush to now produce float displacement maps is this. Zbrush calculates displacements internally in float space, but then scales/clips/quantizes this into 16, or 8 bit colour space. If, for instance u wanted to use multiple displacement maps on different parts of a character you'd run into a scale problem where each map has been independently calcualted to fit in its own 8 or 16 bit image.

If these were float images then these images could have absolute values and they wouldnt be optimized by zbrush to fit.

So if Newtek wants to add more compatibility with zbrush as well as fix that OBJ bug im not gonna stop them.

blabberlicious
10-25-2004, 08:31 AM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=222793#post222793

This might be of interest

;-)

strongarm27
10-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Hay blabberlicious nice catch. I just tried the link that was posted and sure enough the
beta plugin loads 16 bit tifs. I am not sure if it is ready for prime time because it pops
up a window that seems to be another application and you have to quite it when it
is the front most pannel but it does work and the nice thing is I can use smaller displacement maps.
The results seem the same or better than using 8 bit tiffs at 4096*4096 when using
a 16 bit tif at 2048*2048.

We had a heated discussion a while back on another thread and You sent me a private
message. I didn't really ever check that section and don't have the stuff set to auto
message me. I just wanted to say thanks for the kind words and I hope your g4 is doing
better now with the update. :D

Here is two examples of the same setting with one being a 8bit and one being a 16bit.
The tif was the only thing changed all other settings are the same. You can see the
pixel distortion in the 8bit while the 16bit is smooth the way it is in zbrush.

strongarm27

jasonwestmas
10-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Nice, I definitely see the difference!!! Thanks guys! :)

Jason

blabberlicious
10-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Hey, No Problems Strongarm!

I'm still batting away, trying to get things sorted for the mac heads :-)

I've been assured by the big man at NT that users can expect some serious attention in the coming months. What's given me hope is that this is more than words, is that they've come back to me with fixes many of the major bugs that I've been banging on about since 8's release.

So if NT deliver, I be the first into the apple store to pick up a G5!

BTW
I've been doing some tests of my own in ZBRush, which I'll post when I have time.

;-)

HenkDawson
10-25-2004, 04:07 PM
blabberlicious,

Thanks a bunch for posting a link for the 16bit importer plugin for Mac Lightwave. I've installed it but can't seem to find where the plugin went so that I can add it to a menu and use it. Any ideas?

thanks,
Henk

d3d.com

HenkDawson
10-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Okay I figured it out. You just add the plugin and BAM!!!! you can start importing 16 bit files. you don't have to add it to the menu.

jasonwestmas
10-25-2004, 05:50 PM
This is so cool! I'm glad Zbrush caught on to all you Lightwavers. Especially the Mac people. Zbrush2 on the mac is really slick!

I'll definitely post my Zbrush/ Lightwave/ Game stuff little later on too.

kfinla
11-05-2004, 09:48 PM
any word on the finsihed plugin 16 bit tiff importer. im playin with the beta but find it crashes LW often. I may need to place it on my boot HD, intead of its current location on a partition with other plugins.

kfinla
11-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Has a newer version of the tiff loader been made, ive used the beta lots, thanks for posting. But i find it makes LW unstable - i get this " lightwave out" window, and often a second copy of the - about LW, file, etc acros the menu bar. just wondering if a more stable/integrated version exists?

HenkDawson
11-19-2004, 09:53 AM
Yep. It's unstable alright. It works but I have to force quit to get out of LW. It would be nice to have a stable version.

Mr Mouse
04-18-2005, 08:33 AM
By the very wonderful and helpful Steve Warner........

...."As for integrating ZBrush with LW8 on the Mac, you should be able to follow my tutorial(http://www.stevewarner.com/Tutorials/zBrush/zBrushTut.html) up to the point where you export the displacement map. From there, convert the Alpha into a Texture Map. Then export the texture as a 24-bit PSD. You can use this in the bump channel and get great results. You can also use this in the Normal Displacement plugin. The results won't be as clean as a 16-bit file, but they'll work and give you reasonable results. You may also want to export the Alpha as a BMP file and try using that with the Mac version of the Normal Displacement plugin.

Hope that helps,

Steve"

gatz
05-07-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm finally digging into the LW and Zbrush connection and I stumbled three steps in. When I Group the UV tiles (GUVtiles) and Col>Txr my surface goes south. I've attached a screen shot that shows the results on a simple sphere. But all of my obj from LW suffer similarly.

THX

rg

pixelinfected
05-16-2005, 03:43 AM
you can convert by photoshop tiff 16 in other 16bit format supported from lw, or try to convert to 8bit tiff, but before apply a bit of contrast (10-14%).

under win exist a plugin which load a 16 bit tif, but not work actually with screamernet (sigh) then, i found this solution to solve many problems in our renderfarm where we have dual g5, dual g4 and dual win computer.

anyway only plugin that i found that is very confrotable with zbrush, i zwave, a plugin that copy uv map from obj exported from zbrush to original lw obj, that help pipeline, be cause it allow an artist to work on original lw obj to build other uv, morph and more map, and a same time another artist on zbrush can dectail and sculpt mesh, at the end of work lw artist can load uv generated from zbrush on original obj, then apply disp map without a painful pipeline where artist depend from obj exported from zbrush.

jasonwestmas
05-16-2005, 11:34 AM
I'm finally digging into the LW and Zbrush connection and I stumbled three steps in. When I Group the UV tiles (GUVtiles) and Col>Txr my surface goes south. I've attached a screen shot that shows the results on a simple sphere. But all of my obj from LW suffer similarly.

THX

rg

Does the model have triangles in it?
I know that triangles in imported models within Zbrush will create this kind of distortion in the UV's when the model is subdivided. I know how to minimize the distortion, but not eliminate it within Zbrush. This is once of Zbrush's little quirks.

I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say you are grouping the UV tiles.

gatz
05-16-2005, 12:30 PM
The Group UV step was mentioned in the Wagner LW/Zbrush. I'm a Zbrush newbie so I don't understand the "why's" thoroughly.

I did find the fix though:

If you click "fix seam" the lines disappear. The trick is the map must be draw on BEFORE you "fix seams". For instance: click "fix seam" and draw, the lines are visible. Draw and see the lines "fix seams" does just that. These steps aren't mentioned in Wagner's tute and I haven't seen Meats need to do it in the Gnonom DVD, so it might be a Mac thing.

With 8.3 the 16bit tiff beta plug has gone south. Tga textures are misidentified as TIFFs and cause errors when you restore the links.

Has an official word come from NT about 16bit Tiffs on the Mac?

etobiason
02-20-2006, 09:25 AM
I know this thread is a wee bit old, but I was searching for a solution to just this same problem. I got excited when I found the 16-bit TIFF beta plug-in, then had my hopes dashed when I read that LW 8.3 broke it.

I did find a possible solution through ZBrush. They have a displacement exporter plugin that is available for the Mac. It allows you to export a 16 bit image as two complementary 8 bit images. Then you can layer them in LW to work together. I have yet to test this.

Has anyone else used this?

-e

calico
02-20-2006, 09:38 AM
there is a good post on ZBrush Central.
i think you should open 16-bit image in photoshop and save it as Cineon file.
apparently lightwave recognizes this 16-bit format under osx.
that's what i remember from that post.

etobiason
02-20-2006, 10:00 AM
I found the thread you were talking about by searching for the keyword "cineon" in that forum. Thanks so much!

Now I have found a better way to do it on Mac with no loss in quality and I didn't need a PC to do it..

Open the 16 Bit greyscale Tiff in Photoshop, convert it to RGB but make sure you keep the information in 16bit.
Now save the image in cineon format.

LighWave can read this image format but it will make it darker.
Don't worry, you can easily fix this by changing the gamma and contrast level with no loss in LW because the image is 96 bits.

My settings:
Contrast: -0,75
Gamma: 1.75

And I got evan better deformation now than with the HDRI and floating point blur trick and I didn't need any PC.

I hope this will help Mac - LightWave users that want to use Zbrush..

gatz
02-20-2006, 10:11 AM
PhotoShop (.psd) seems to be the fallback format. Cineon won't save greyscale so you'll have to convert to RGB, which increases you're file size.

etobiason
02-20-2006, 10:14 AM
And LW recognizes 16-bit greyscale psd files?

gatz
02-20-2006, 10:25 AM
16BIT greyscale PSDs do work. I've never noticed a need for the image adjusts. But I've never be able to see what 16BIT TIFFs look like for comparison.

etobiason
02-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Have you ever compared the 16Bit psd to an 8Bit psd to be sure that LW isn't just clipping off half of the data?

etobiason
02-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Actually, I can't get 16BIT PSD files to load. LW won't load it. The Cineon file did load, however.

gatz
02-21-2006, 02:31 PM
This might be moot. Since the PSD option was brought up I've tested the different formats.

Using the image editor info it appears that only .cin imports with the 16BIT data. Greyscale PSD appear to only be converted to 8BIT RGB. 16BIT RGB PSD import as 8BIT. This is by the numbers. Rendering with the different formats show no diffence between the TIFF, PSD of PNG formats no matter the depth. The RGB conversions add an almost indiscernible noise to the displacement that is only visible by using a difference method. .CIN on the other hand does work, but since you need to go RGB the file is actually a 96BIT file. The RGB conversion increases the file size and darkens it considerablly. Perhaps this is where the gamma edits come in.

Bottom line: Mac users still need 16BIT tiff support.

etobiason- Is your difficulty with loading PSD or Grey PSD? Are you on a Mac? LW might be using QuickTime to translate the PSD files.

etobiason
02-21-2006, 02:38 PM
I am on the Mac. I have a 4 x 2.5 GhZ PowerPC G5. I can load PSD files usually, but LW wasn't loading greyscale 16BIT PSD. It didn't translate it into 8BIT, it just didn't load it. Otherwise, I have no trouble with PSD files. The RGB Cineon file worked just fine for me... and it did not seem to shift the greyscale values on conversion, either. So I didn't have to do any of those image edits. I think that might be based on how I have my color handling set up here. Or, since I didn't compare an imported 8BIT file, the greyscale value shift could be occuring in LW and I didn't notice.

etobiason
02-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Oh, and I agree with your bottom line. We need 16BIT image support!

TomT
02-22-2006, 08:06 AM
I could never get ZB to work well with LW on the Mac (lack of the right plugins/16-bit Tiff support etc.) Maybe once is LW9 is out . . .