PDA

View Full Version : import 3ds files

patrickingerman
04-06-2003, 07:23 PM
Hello,

I am trying to import a .3ds file,
The appendix of my manual says to first export the lightwave as a .3ds, and then import the new .3ds.

The only problem is that

File >> export gives me only 3 options,

Save 5.6 Scene
Shockwave 3d Export
VRML 97

Like I said I need a .3ds.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Patrick Burke

Mylenium
04-07-2003, 12:39 AM
3ds is only available in Modeler, 'cos Lightwave will only convert geometry.

Mylenium

patrickingerman
04-11-2003, 06:26 PM
hello,

I'm trying to import a .3ds file into modeler, with the idea of converting it into a lightwave file. the problem is when i try to open the file i get the error,

cannot load external plug-in c:\lightwave\plugins\input-output\conv3d.p

and when i click import, my only choice is a EPSF deally, and that fails before it starts with a

cannot load external plug-in , same as above, but ...\input-output\EPSF.p

and when i try to export nothing as a .3ds, it fails too, same as above ...\input-output\conv3d.p ,

any ideas? Please help

Thank You,

Patrick Burke

steevo
05-27-2003, 11:59 PM
I'm able to import .3ds objects into Lightwave 7.5, but when I try to import a 49000 polygon .3ds object into LW, modeler scatters components of the object throughout the space.

Is there a way around the problem, aside from moving every component back into place?

(It's a car mesh, and the body's here, the wheels are there, the interior's over there ...)

Thanks,
Steve

Mylenium
05-28-2003, 12:46 AM
Hi steevo,

The blame must not go to LW. This also happens in other programs. This normally happens with exported files from MAX due to a limitation in the 3ds format. Splitting your mesh up and exporting it in smaller chunks will save you from re-positioning everything.

Mylenium

steevo
05-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks Mylenium, but the mesh came on a (legit) CD-ROM collection, so I only have access to the 3ds file on the CD.

So I'll have to find someone with MAX ... unless they'll have the same problem importing the model from the CD <sigh>.

Thanks again,
Steve

Originally posted by Mylenium
Hi steevo,

Splitting your mesh up and exporting it in smaller chunks will save you from re-positioning everything.

Mylenium

electroNIX
05-28-2003, 04:04 PM
all of you could try deep exploration from right hemisphere... this 3d browser/viewer/converter handled max-lw and lw-max conversion quite well for me..

jrf
06-02-2003, 02:49 PM
I'm having the same trouble trying to imporat a 3ds file...Under import, the only option I have is EPSF loader it it croaks...anyone???

steevo
06-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by jrf
I'm having the same trouble trying to imporat a 3ds file...Under import, the only option I have is EPSF loader it it croaks...anyone???

You don't use "import" -- you should attempt to load a LW object in the usual way, but change the file type to "all files" so the 3ds files show up in the dialog. When you select the 3ds file and hit OK, a special dialog shows up.

I hope the terminology is right -- I'm not at the LW computer right now.

Steve