PDA

View Full Version : I want to try the old "flying logo" business, but...

Turner
10-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Hi -

Ok, so I've decided to try out a few cliche "flying logos" - I figured all I needed to do was to prepare files in Illustrator, save as .eps... whoops!

We don't like .eps! Apparently Newtek killed the EPSF loader. I don't have a resource outside my computer to use, and it doesn't look like it's working anyway.

So, basically, two questions:

1) If the EPSF loader WAS working, what are the best steps (e.g. Illustrator dimensions, scaling) to bring artwork in?

2) Since EPSF isn't working, what is the best alternative, e.g. dxf, to bring in files with which to work? (And should the file be extruded only in LW, or brought in pre-extruded?)

Thanks,
Andrew

mamurphy
10-09-2004, 03:19 PM
If you are using Illustrator CS you will need to go to File:Export....

then make sure you save your EPS as Version 8.

LW doesn't like illustrator versions after that.

Then in Modeler go to File:Import:EPSF Loader.....

Check your import preferences and you are ready to go.

Whatever version of Illustrator you are using make sure your EPS is saved version 8 or under.

Hope that helps

Turner
10-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Tried all that; it's just that LW seems to have a filepath problem, or something like that, that stops it from identifying .eps files correctly...

See the EPSF thread below..

Andrew

If you are using Illustrator CS you will need to go to File:Export....

then make sure you save your EPS as Version 8.

LW doesn't like illustrator versions after that.

Then in Modeler go to File:Import:EPSF Loader.....

Check your import preferences and you are ready to go.

Whatever version of Illustrator you are using make sure your EPS is saved version 8 or under.

Hope that helps

BeeVee
10-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Your eps is only a temp file, right? It's not like you are going to keep it after you've made the logo in LightWave? Just make sure that you save as a version 8 eps or lower, don't use gradient fills in the eps and most importantly, keep the filename and path to fewer than 32 characters. Yes, it's not a complete solution and rest assured that it won't need to be done in future releases of LightWave, but for now, follow these rules and you can import EPS files happily all day long...

B

Turner
10-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Yes, it meets all those requirements.

It does have a solid fill; I'll try it without any fill at all.

Believe me, if what you say below (and above!) works, as far as I'm concerned, it's as complete a solution I'll need...

cheers
Andrew

Your eps is only a temp file, right? It's not like you are going to keep it after you've made the logo in LightWave? Just make sure that you save as a version 8 eps or lower, don't use gradient fills in the eps and most importantly, keep the filename and path to fewer than 32 characters. Yes, it's not a complete solution and rest assured that it won't need to be done in future releases of LightWave, but for now, follow these rules and you can import EPS files happily all day long...

B

Turner
10-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Follow-up:

I cannot get any combination of .eps line+fill, line only, fill only, ver. 8 or 3 to work, even when inside the LW directory.

Andrew

toby
10-09-2004, 09:57 PM
try the old remove-and-reload- I/O (input/output) plug-ins

BeeVee
10-10-2004, 03:05 AM
your pathname and filename cannot be longer than 32 characters combined. That means that if you are using an eps file located at "Macintosh HD:long directory name:long subdirectory name:even longer deeper subdirectory name" it won't matter that the file is called simply "1", your pathname is too long. Try putting the file at the root of your hard drive (Macintosh HD:1) and see if that works...

B

Turner
10-10-2004, 05:11 AM
Yes!!

Ok, that worked - I tried it before, but I must not have saved out of Illustrator as I should have.

Merci!

Now I just need to post again about getting smooth curves instead of facets...

Andrew

your pathname and filename cannot be longer than 32 characters combined. That means that if you are using an eps file located at "Macintosh HD:long directory name:long subdirectory name:even longer deeper subdirectory name" it won't matter that the file is called simply "1", your pathname is too long. Try putting the file at the root of your hard drive (Macintosh HD:1) and see if that works...

B

mamurphy
10-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Nice call BeeVee! :)