PDA

View Full Version : Modeller Backdrop Slows Down Computer

mdharman
10-08-2004, 01:48 PM
I teach Lightwave in a high school lab. We are running Lightwave 8.0 using Intel Pentium 1.6 gh and Windows 2000. All machines are running fine except one. When we place a backdrop in modeller as a tracing image, the response of the computer slows way down. Even setting it to the lowest resolution causes a problem. Without the backdrop, everything runs fine. There are 11 gigs of free hard disk space and 528 mb of RAM. I am about to remove Lightwave and reload it to see if that fixes the problem. Before I do that, does anyone have any possible solutions to this problem? Thanx.

mattclary
10-08-2004, 01:55 PM
This is normal behavior, don't bother reloading. The severity depends a lot on the image (size), speed of the computer, and (probably to a lesser degree), the potency of the video card. PIV 1.6 is kinda puny. If I remeber correctly, there was a problem with that speed range where they were commonly outperformed by PIIIs of a lower clock speed. Don't quote me, as I could be mis-remembering that bit.

mdharman
10-08-2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks for your reply. I might agree with you accept I have twenty other machines running the same tutorial, loading the same image, using the exact same video card (nvidia g-force) and they are not experiencing the same problem. This is the car modelling tutorial on the newtek site. There has to be something wrong I am not seeing (plug-in issue, preference setting, or something?) or else LW must be corrupt. We run Macromedia Flash and Photoshop on the same machine during the morning with no problem.

mattclary
10-09-2004, 08:12 PM
OOPS, didn't catch it was only one machine. I would try re-loading the video drivers on that machine, or at least see if they match the other machines.