PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Books Recomandation??

Hands
10-08-2004, 11:48 AM
hey ya all!!!
how do you do??

well, im learning lightwave, and i have "Inside Lightwave 7" by Dan Ablan and im almost done with it. So i want to expand my horizon in LW since i feel that i still don't know much about it. i need recomandations on new books. I need advanced modeling books, texturing, and Lighting. and i have a question; how good will those books make me at LW?
thanx ya all!!

GregMalick
10-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Books are a great resource (I have an entire shelf of them). Personally, I prefer DVD video training because you can watch them on the same machine and you don't have a book thats thicker than a phone book on the desk. You can also easily Pause and Repeat, Learning by doing. Some things like Modeling are just better to learn by watching an expert.

The Wordware books are convienently small and Kuv is also putting out some reasonably priced training.

Regarding recommendations, 3D covers a lot of ground. ;) Where are your interests, where are your weaknesses? But for something that covers a lot of everything, you can't beat Dan's books.

btw, are you using LW8?

mdharman
10-08-2004, 03:32 PM
I think the Dan Ablan book is great. I also like Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave 8. It is very different from Inside Lightwave 7. In fact, I like it much more than IL7. If you haven't upgraded to 8, I think it's well worth it. The new extender plus tool is so superior to the old extender tool!

There are also two books out that just have random tips for Lightwave users - Lightwave 8 Killer Tips by Dan Ablan and Randy Sharp (New Riders - publisher) and 1001 Tips & Tricks by Beckwith, Warner, and Wood (Wordware - publisher).

I know there are two fairly recent books out, one on lighting and one on texturing, that are available through Wordware - LightWave 3D 8 Texturing
by Leigh van der Byl and LightWave 3D 8 Lighting by Nicholas Boughen. I thumbed through them at a Barnes and Noble Bookstore recently but have yet to buy them.

I like some of the tutorials from a book called Lightwave 6.5/7.0 Project Handbook by Patrik Beck (Charles River Media - publisher). And finally, Timothy Albee has two nice books out - Essential Lightwave and LighWave 3D7 Character Animation. There are bits and pieces that I like about all of these books. I teach high school kids and am always looking good reference/tutorials for beginners.

Hands
10-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Hey,
well GregMalick, first thank you for replying. about your two questions, i plan to use LW for industrial design mostly thats why i basiclly need very intensive modeling tutorials. i mostly won't be using LW for animation exept with basic rotations and motions. however, i need Liquid animation and texturing alot in my projects and i dont know how to do it yet!
my proplem with DVDs is that i simple can't afford them. I havn't upgraded to LW 8 yet. i have some books on LW 7 and i plan to finish them before upgrading.

and mdharman thanx for your reply but you have given me alot of books and that was not my real point.
Thank u guyz and write back!
Cheers!

GregMalick
10-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Kurv Studios (http://www.kurvstudios.com/) has videos that are $22 - $25. He has two vehicle modeling videos (of which I have the first). It's the closest thing to architectural modeling that I know of. SimplyLightwave (http://www.simplylightwave.com/) has a McLaren sports car tutorial too. I haven't checked those out. Aside from that, Dan's books are your best bet. :)