PDA

View Full Version : Complete Character Modelling video tuts

omeone
10-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Hi all,
just a note to say I finally got these finished.

The tutorials are aimed at introducing first-time charcter modellers to the processes and principles involved.

I've kept the toolset as basic as possible and made a dedicated chapter to describe their use.

There's also a dedicated section of designing EdgeLoops and PolyFlow.

Hope ye find them useful,
Cheers
~CL

link: http://www.puffandlarkin.com/lightwave/tutorials/character_modelling/

art
10-08-2004, 07:58 AM
I will certainly find the tutorial useful. Thank you very much for preparing and posting it!

omeone
10-09-2004, 04:53 AM
Thanks Art,
Let me know how it goes for you (even if you're only interested in one or two of the chapters).
Theres a mini-forum for help if you get unstuck at any stage too.

cresshead
10-09-2004, 12:56 PM
BRILLIANT!

i have sent the link to all my student's that i teach 3d to at people's college
nottingham..

i'm constantly try to find different ways to make a head in 3d apps and this one has yet another spin on the theme.

and with the small toolset you stick to this will also enable those working with 3dsmax, xsi and cinema as wel as my lightwave students too.

it's also a nice method as it define the volume of the head very early on and also
pins down the major segments for placement of eye's nose and mouth.

i havn't tried your tutorial out myself as yet but i will do so soon as this looks to be a good way for student's to get their first "quality" head made without spending weeks or months [really, some do take months of tweeks!!] trying to get it to look "right"

the main hassle students have is getting the proportions right and not making the head look "scary"...which is easy to do if they are not familiar with head modeling.

thanks once again for sharing this asset...you should see if newtek want to host it on their tutorial section as well as this would raise your profile no doubt

cheers

steve g

thanks !

omeone
10-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi cresshead, thanks :)

You've hit the nail on head there, when I sat down to write these, one of the first goals I had in mind was to give confidence to beginners to realise character modelling is within their grasp.

That first couple of months tweaking and tweaking can be enough to make someone give up sometimes.

I've never actually used that process before I wrote the tut, that idea was just to get first timers 'in there', and in there quick - so they could say 'hey! - this is easy!'

I reckon as soon as they say that, then they can go to develop their own 'processes' and methods and develop their own modelling in any direction they like.

I didnt present these at the correct or only way to character model, infact - character modelling was just a 'vassal' for something else I was trying to get accross.

Since you are a bone fide teacher with a lot of students - I value any feedback you can give either directly of from your students. Comments, suggestions and improvements are very welcome.
~CL

cresshead
10-09-2004, 05:43 PM
my next class is on tuesday, i'm thinking of making a small "max version" of the first 6-7 steps so that those who prefer to use 3ds max can "get in" without the "ohh i'll have to look at that darn lightwave doing it the easy way" syndrome...some students WILL NOT look at tutorials made in other apps...they are very app centric so i can hook 'em in with the first few steps in max.. they may follow on as i leave 'em hi n dry...with ony your lightwave vids to follow up on...!!

actually we sat down in class today [i have a saturday class for those in work during the week] and listed about 15 ways to make a head inc nurbs, spline patching, spinshift, single poly mask method...etc.

so far no student is really happy with any of their heads they have created so far except craig who has spent quite a bit of time on the spinshift method.

myself of late... i have been activly using tutorials from other apps such as xsi and wings 3d to make lightwave video tutorials as this is my prefered app to teach as it's so simple for new users to pick up an run with where as max is the more used in class the quality output seems to come from lightwave more than
3ds max via the students with the cool tools for modeling and the simple setup of photoreal renders from lightwave in comparison with 3ds max.

so far students here have bought themselves commercial versions of
3ds max [1 student]
lightwave 8.0
cinema 8.5
xsi foundation

we don't teach maya so no one has bought maya...interesting seeing as it's quite a hi profile app..it maybe that student's do not feel confident that they could
learn it on their own with no support from usa and only use books or the net/dvd's if they went out and bought it.

hey straying off topic here ooppss!!!!

cheers

omeone
10-10-2004, 01:09 PM
That sounds like a great setup, IMO

I'll always look around at tuts for other apps too and occasionally use the trial versions for a few weeks. (Having said that I've given up on Max, Ive spent hours and hours downloading each new version, and then I can't get past the interface. Its a pity, I believe it is getting really good and heard rumors it may be amazing in the future) tonyg in Canada does something similar - teaches in LW and MAX and lets the students decide.

I really like the idea of teaching in Wings, a few months ago I would have said because its the lowest common denominator, but I hear it has some very nice tools of its own now.
Teaching in Wings is brilliant in terms of accessibility for your students, nobody has to feel disavantaged, and then when they look at commercial apps - they can make a much more informed decision as to what suits them best. Or, on the other side -if they have decided 3D isnt for them - they havn't wasted a couple of grand. (not the case with LW of course - since it can be easily resold).

Ive had a few 'discussions' on the merits of learning a lot of apps, or at least reading their tutorials (I always come out on the losing side :o )
- nice to see Im not completely alone on that one

Trawler
10-11-2004, 07:50 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for putting these tutorials out there. I'm very much a newbie to this whole 3D thing, but between your character modeling tuts and digiwonk's rigging tutorials, I'm well on my way to doing the kind of character work I've always dreamed of. :D

Now I just have to learn to animate :rolleyes:

omeone
10-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Cheers Trawler, hope you can say the same when you're finished them :)
Learning animation is the fun part! And most people say it never stops ;)

lede
10-12-2004, 04:10 PM
omeone, thanks for giving us this tutorial. I'll have to download it and check it out since I can't model a face to save my life :D

-Lee

Nemoid
10-17-2004, 07:00 AM
downloaded a great part of these tuts.
they're good because they teach interesting things about polyflow too. I'm used to slightly different methods, but there are things wich surely are important to know too.
Didn't finish to watch them all, but i will try them soon.

great job. :)

cresshead
10-20-2004, 07:13 PM
omeone, i recieved the cdrom today so thanks a huge amount for sending it out. :)

i'll use take it to class on saturday for the students to look thru as this is the full thing and will be fast to navigate for them when browsing the various sections.

i'll also run thru thre tutorial myself next week and see what i can learn as well.

cheers for your hard work...seems that lightwave has some of the most generous and talented artists out there helping others to get better at modeling in lightwave.

you should think of making a sell thru dvd at some point...i'd be up for one for sure.

steve g

omeone
10-21-2004, 04:48 AM
@Nemoid
Cheers :) as I said to cresshead, they're aimed at giving beginners a base to start of from, but if more are experienced people are getting something out of them, its a real bonus

@cresshead Thanks, I always worry about my little babies when I post them off, nice to get a 'received receipt'. I have no problems with anyone making as many duplicates as they need for sharing :)

Ive no intentio of doing any commercial stuff (need to concentrte on a new project anyway), but Im just curious... what's a 'sell thru dvd'? - that's a new term on me.

Its true they are much more convenient to use on CD, and Ive been lazy about getting a single archive uploaded, but if anyone wants the benefit of off-line usage of the tutorial, they can always use a web-grabber such as Teleport Pro.

I just ask that they use them properly and just grab stuff in the /lightwave/... folder, nobody needs to download my personal site too :cool:

cresshead
10-21-2004, 05:22 AM
re: "sell thru"

i've sent you a email!

iLash
10-21-2004, 03:18 PM
FANTASTIC... thanks Colin. The tuts are chockfull of great tips. Its really great watching artist's workflow styles. :)