PDA

View Full Version : Potential Driver Lockup... Please Help

Jim_C
10-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Hello All,

The potential driver lockup is finally happening to us.

It is constantly on the program and main outs but not preview dsk etc. Everything else seems to run fine.

The specs
p4dc6+
fresh install
XP, sp1, directx 9.0c, wmp 10
no firewire card

I have tried different slots.
reinstalled and uninstalled several times.

I read thru the forums and most of the fixes to this I have read have been either 'It just went away' or 'Reinstall' or other fairly obscure points.

Just wondering if anyone has a more specific thing to look for?

Thanks and Happy Friday!!

Jim

bradl
10-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Some of my findings that affect this: bad cable or connector bent pin on input connector or bridge board connector bad VT board

Seems like some have reported re-install or Config resets (Opps file) success.

Jim_C
10-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks Brad!

:)

Jim Capillo
10-08-2004, 03:06 PM
I had much the same problem a few weeks ago and Blaine (and Chris) suspected a bad board or possibly bad RAM. Turned out to be corrupted OS - a new install of XP Pro fixed it, but since you've already tried that, you might try the RAM before you send the board off. Have you had any brownouts or power surges lately?

radams
10-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Another issue, that can cause this is conflicting audio or other device...

1) Do you use other audio devices outside of VT's ie: such an onboard audio device?

2) If you do uninstall it and disable it in the Bios...then run VT and see if you are getting the same issues....

Also go into your device manager and see fi any of your devices is having issues when this occurs...

Another work around for the audio device issues are to make the systems audio device the defaulf one...NOT VT's...then things should be better...

Cheers,

Jim_C
10-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Have you had any brownouts or power surges lately?

Well this system was part of the road equipment for one of our stages, so my guess is , yes, and some point there were probably a power surge or two.
They had it plugged into a ups but as we know the road can be bumpy.(literally and metaphorically)

I'm gonna test daughter card and ram tightness.

Thanks Jim

Jim_C
10-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Another issue, that can cause this is conflicting audio or other device...

1) Do you use other audio devices outside of VT's ie: such an onboard audio device?

2) If you do uninstall it and disable it in the Bios...then run VT and see if you are getting the same issues....

Also go into your device manager and see fi any of your devices is having issues when this occurs...

Another work around for the audio device issues are to make the systems audio device the defaulf one...NOT VT's...then things should be better...

Cheers,

Hey Ray,
1-No onboard audio is diasbled.

2- Same problems.

Checked device manager, all clear ther.

I am confused Ray, about your last tip. If system audio is disabled, how would I use it for system sounds? Or do you mean that if I choose to Not disable onboard audio, make sure I assign system sounds to it?

Thanks for your time Ray,

Jim

Jim_C
10-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Running newtekrtme from the cmd line worked!

whatever it did?

:D

radams
10-09-2004, 12:57 AM
Hi Jim,

I Should have stated 3 "if you need to have another audio device to then make it the system default and NOT vt"....this has helped in the past...

Sorry for the confusion and I'm glad your back up and running again :)

Cheers,

Ray

bobby
10-28-2004, 08:08 AM
Running newtekrtme from the cmd line worked!

whatever it did?

:D

What do you mean running this from the command line? I'm having the driver lockup problem on a new machine and it's driving me crazy. I just started a new thread out of frustration, guess I should have done a little more searching first. I'm gonna try to disable the onboard audio and see if that makes a difference.

But I am curious as to what you mean by running newtekrtme from the CMD line.

Jim_C
10-28-2004, 08:13 AM
1-Kill winrtme from the VT3 menu.

2-Hit ctrl+V+T all at the same time

3-Go start menu->RUN->
Type in cmd,
DOS screen opens up,
Type NEWTEKRTME hit enter.

you should see some type of initialization appear in the screen.
The whole process takes 1-3 seconds.

Close dos window and start VT3.

Doing this just once cured the potential driver lockup I was continually getting on one of our machines and I have not had to do it since.

We have another machine that is finicky about losing audio, and doing the above 3 steps brings the audio back about 65-70% of the time.

hope that helps ya,
It did us.

Jim

bobby
10-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Great, thanks, I'm going to give it a shot right now.

But what does this do? Is it just restarting the driver like it normally would when you launch VT4?

Jim_C
10-28-2004, 08:26 AM
But what does this do? Is it just restarting the driver like it normally would when you launch VT4?

I have no idea.... :o

I was having constant driver lockup problems after several fresh reinstalls, even reformats. Nothing fixed it.
A NT dealer on the Yahoo boards told me to do this once after install but before running VT3 and I have not had the problem since.

Then I read of a guy who was having other problems and he said doing this would usually reset his VT to a workable state.

I started trying it on the sytem we are having the audio drop out on and it seems to kick it back in gear some of the time.

It must do more than just restart the driver similar to start up, since I was doing that on the machine that was had the driver lockup.

So after all that... I don't know.
:confused:

Anyone?

Mr Lara???

thx
Jim

bobby
10-28-2004, 08:34 AM
Sorry, I'm frantic, I have until Tuesday to make this machine solid as a rock. What does the CTRL+V+T keystroke do? It didn't appear to do anything. It's supposed to be executed without VT4 running, correct?

Jim_C
10-28-2004, 08:40 AM
No.

Shut down VT. Kill winrtme from the VT3 menu in the start menu. Hit ctrl V+T
Then do the cmd line thing.

You will not see anything happening when killing winrtme or using ctrl v+t
but you will in the dos screen when you run newtekrtme.

Paul Lara
10-28-2004, 08:50 AM
What does the CTRL+V+T keystroke do?

Going into task manager and stopping VT[3] only shuts down the application.
Ctrl+v+t is a three-fingered salute that terminates both VT[3] and the low-level driver, winrtme.

PIZAZZ
10-28-2004, 08:55 AM
No.

Shut down VT. Kill winrtme from the VT3 menu in the start menu. Hit ctrl V+T
Then do the cmd line thing.

You will not see anything happening when killing winrtme or using ctrl v+t
but you will in the dos screen when you run newtekrtme.

Jim,

Ctrl VT shuts down the WinRTME background VT engine. Basically kills the process without having to go into Windows process manager. Ctrl VT I believe only works when the VT software is running. Try it and VT should close immediately.

And Yes killing the process and restarting the VT software is the same as initializing the VT card from the CMD prompt by running NEWTEKRTME.

Two ways to skin a cat. If you are into that sort of thing.

Jim_C
10-28-2004, 09:00 AM
And Yes killing the process and restarting the VT software is the same as initializing the VT card from the CMD prompt by running NEWTEKRTME.

Interesting. Thanks.

The one system we have, p4dc6+, scsis's, etc, all NT approved was displaying Driver Lockup on the program out constantly! Reformat, reinstall, hop on one foot, restart, ctrl vt etc, nothing fixed it.

Then running newtekrtme once cleared it up and it has not been back.

So it gave it some kind of extra kick that restarting VT was not.

oh well... the cat is skinned....

Jim

:)