PDA

View Full Version : Texturing/seams: Never used LW before

DJ Theodis
10-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Ok, first off. I have used 3d software before, such as softimage and 3d studio max. have gone to college and all that. So I hope you can understand how pissed off I got at having problems with such a simple little thing.

I've never used Lightwave before, so forgive me, I don't know the in's and outs of lightwave [8] yet. surprisingly it only took me 3 days(well in actual hours 14, but no one has that much time to spend in one day) to know how to use all of modeler(+ all shortcut keys) except texturing. Lightwave is very easy to use though. :D
wich also increases the anger and frustration of no being able to take care of a little seam.

anyway -->
I'm on to the texturing, and starting with a simple exercise, makeing MARS!!!
so, I was like "F'n sweet!!!". But then, that's when problems start. well, not knowing what everything does is one thing. But once I figured out how to do a cylindrical projection I got one of those F'n SEAMS!. My mars texture is a nice 1024 X 512, and I've tried everything, or at least everything I currently know about texturing in lightwave, and can't figure out what tool or whatever to fix it. I've even tried UV'ing but that's jumping further in while still not knowing the basic tools. SO, I'm very much confused, and I have a picture(screen capture), to help better convey my problem. And YES, my texture is made properly, it should rapp around without seams. :mad:
but the row of poly's, where it get's messed up, well, I don't know what to do about that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MooseDog
10-08-2004, 07:15 AM
have you tried rendering this in layout? might be an opengl error which would not appear at all in a render. chk it out, good luck :)

DJ Theodis
10-08-2004, 10:54 AM
what I meant to say is spherical projestion, not cylindrical.
But yeah, It worked!!! Thanks :D

:( my graphics card is a 9600 radeon 256MB. with 3Gz P4 an 1G RAM.
I guess it's either gonna have to be the newest ATI Video card or head over to Nvidia.

But if some one has a 9600 and doesn't have this problem. would anybody know what could be done to fix it?...other then buying a new

MooseDog
10-08-2004, 11:20 AM
I guess it's either gonna have to be the newest ATI Video card or head over to Nvidia

maybe not necessarily :eek:

it seems to me that even the latest, greatest "VMX 10,000,000Rxtv10GIG" :rolleyes: video card wouldn't solve lw's limited opengl implementation. (in my strident opinion, lw is not a game that needs the best in opengl but an animation tool that needs the best in rendering (pleeeeease allow mr. worley in :D )).

mattclary
10-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Yeah, don't drop the cash on a new card. I prefer nVidia cards over ATI, but in this case, I don't think it would make a difference.

GregMalick
10-08-2004, 04:43 PM
I was just watching an old LW 5.5 surfacing video tutorial and this OGL seam problem existed way back then too. But renders were fine.

same thing, different time. ;)