PDA

View Full Version : making a coin?

Leprechaun
10-07-2004, 07:42 PM
How would someone go about making something that looks like a realistic quarter?
thanks

mattclary
10-08-2004, 05:09 AM
I would use the disc tool and model the features. You could probably scan one in to use as a reference.

Silkrooster
10-08-2004, 09:04 PM
I was wondering how it would look if you scanned in quarter and used that texture as a texture displacement.
Silk

Integrity
10-08-2004, 09:34 PM
If it's a pure scan of the quarter, you might not get precise results since it's not a true heighth/depth map. I know somewhere on the internet there's a tutorial explaining how to use 3d scanner's to create a true grayscale image that you could use for such a thing. Even so, my own scanner's light has a small falloff and if used in the proper way it might do the same thing.

What I mean by falloff is that the highest point of the quarter would be bright and the lowest point would be dark (I'm using the word dark and bright since it will not be perfectly white and black, you'll have to fix that in Photoshop or other similar program). Then just use the image as a displacement onto a very high-polygonal mesh and there's your quarter.
I hope this helps.