PDA

View Full Version : Does modeler have XYZ bars to grab?

danielh68
10-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi,

I'm fairly new to LW and I tried other cometitors demos before finally purchasing it. So far, I'm really satisfied...however, there's one feature that I like in a competitor's demo that I really miss. Perhaps, LW has it, but it's not active.

To the point, does LW have XY&Z grab bars in the perspective view of modeler? Actually (I just noticed this) Layout has exactly what I'm talking about. For instance, when one selects the camera in Layout perspective it displays X, Y & Z coordinate bars to manipulate. Doesn't Modeler have that same feature, where one could move points and polygons?

Thanks,
Dan

Mylenium
10-07-2004, 02:13 PM
No, Modeler does not have manipulators/ widgets/ gizmos or whatever you want to call them. Use the Ctrl key to constrain your operations to certain axes and values.

Mylenium

danielh68
10-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks, Mylenium. Much appreciated.

hrgiger
10-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I believe most other applications I've seen refer to them as widgets. I do wish they were an option.

danielh68
10-07-2004, 04:12 PM
yeah, me too. Maybe in the next update they will incorporate one.

wacom
10-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Layout has them...so it's funny that modeler doesn't...

monovich
10-07-2004, 07:26 PM
you might try the "rove" tool in modeler. It's got handles for moving and rotating, but in perspective it appears only the move parts appear.

not as good as other programs, but it's something.

SplineGod
10-10-2004, 03:15 AM
Modeler does have a manipulator. Its called the ROVE Tool. :)

Mylenium
10-10-2004, 05:28 AM
Well, I don't mean to start yet another endless discussion on that topic - personally I do not like manipulators very much, so I'm happy without them - but there surely should be an option for them. The view ones that are there for some of the tools are not very useful which clearly indicates a extreme weakness in Modeler's interface/ OpenGL pipeline (you know, they're always tourqouis, consist of nothing more than simple lines and circles etc.). I sure hope this changes at some point.

Mylenium