PDA

View Full Version : Q: removing hidden geometry?

mgrusin
10-07-2004, 11:54 AM
I'm building an object that will be like a bunch of soap bubbles stuck together (though not transparent). So I make a cloud of points and make Bubbles on the points. The result looks great! But it has an awful lot of hidden geometry (all those bubble faces that are interior to the object). Is there any straightforward way to remove the interior points and faces?

I considered using Boolean Union, but it won't just "work" without having something in the foreground and something in back. I'm guessing I'd have to do it two spheres at a time while building it, too much work unless there's a tool or plugin for this.

I also considered lasso-selecting polys in the perspective viewport, which only lets you select visible geometry (amazing, really). This starts out great, except it won't select the polys at the seams - the ones which are partially hidden. Very interesting.

Or should I not worry about it? Will LW efficiently ignore the unseen geometry and still render quickly / not run out of memory?

Thanks! -MG.

egearbox
10-07-2004, 12:08 PM
I'm interested in the answer to this as well. A lot of the objects I create are built from primitives and combinations of simpler objects, and wind up with a lot of polys hidden inside the object which will never be seen. Even if they don't slow up render time, they still must chew up memory.

Tom
Electric Gearbox