PDA

View Full Version : Parenting problem.

dranos
10-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Hi all,

I've always had this problem and now I have to face it. I have a character animated with a briefcase. I parented the briefcase handle to his wrist bone in order to have it follow his hand movements. The problem is that now he has to leave the briefcase on a table and do other stuff. When I unparent the case at this stage you know what happens.
What is the proper way to setup animations like this? The same goes for a character throwing away his glasses after wearing them for a while or any similar situation.
I need to get this one right real quick.

Thanks in advance.

etobiason
10-07-2004, 01:37 PM
What you need is dynamic parenting. Worley has a plug-in that does it, in one of the collections. Taft or Polk, not sure which.

Does LW8 have its own, anybody? I'm not sure.

A quick way to work around the problem now, is to animate up to the point where he should put the case down. Save the scene. Duplicate the scene, rename the duplicate so you know it is the non-parenting scene, unparent the two (with Parent in Place active so it stays in the same spot) and animate from there. You can splice the two sets of rendered images together.

-e

BeeVee
10-07-2004, 02:45 PM
You don't even need to do that. Make two copies of the briefcase, one that is parented to the hand, one on the table, use an object dissolve envelope on both so that one fades out as the other fades in, over less than the duration of a frame, so there's no overlap.

B

etobiason
10-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Criminy! That's brilliant!

dranos
10-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Its really hard to believe that a third party plugin is needed for such an essential operation. I've used duplicate scenes before to get by this issue but I always thought there was a more straight forward way that I was unaware of. Guess I'll be buying Polk.
Thanks for the extra tips.

toby
10-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Its really hard to believe that a third party plugin is needed for such an essential operation. I've used duplicate scenes before to get by this issue but I always thought there was a more straight forward way that I was unaware of. Guess I'll be buying Polk.
Thanks for the extra tips.

Raed BeeVee's post again, it's been the solution for years. A third-party plug-in is certainly not required.

BeeVee
10-08-2004, 12:20 AM
Besides which, LightWave has a Dynamic Parenter included...

B

dranos
10-08-2004, 07:11 AM
Besides which, LightWave has a Dynamic Parenter included...

B

Now that sounds good. Where is the plugin located? Is it as versatile as Polk's Parent plugin? I also need the character to throw multiple items that he takes out of the briefcase in a 'ninja star' like fashion. Will it help my situation?

Polk's Parent Plugin description raises other technical scenarios where dynamic parenting is necessary. Does the Dynamic Parenter Plugin that you say Lightwave has work well in these situations?

How do I find and use the Plugin that comes with Lightwave? I'm using Lightwave 8.

Thanks

etobiason
10-08-2004, 07:23 AM
I thought LW8 had its own dynamic parenter. I've had Polk for a while...and didn't get it for that feature, anyway.

Dranos, why not try the hide/show trick? It might even be easier than dynamic parenting, because if he pulls out several ninja stars you can parent just one to his hand and show/hide it as needed...

As for the dynamic parenter, I opened Lightwave8.pdf and searched for "dynamic parent" and found a reference on page 469 and 471. That should show you what you need to know.

-e